Babies Born in Winter Not As Smart

A new study gave us the chills.

baby-winter.jpg

Were your kids born between the months of January and March? If so, recent research predicts your child may be less intelligent and healthy than babies born in the spring, summer or fall. Huh?

Babies born in the winter are more likely to have mothers who are unmarried teens and who never graduated high school, or so says Kasey Buckles and Daniel Hungerman, the scientists behind the study.

Ultimately, they say, it all comes down to socio-economic status. And air-conditioning. Since heat lowers the fertility of sperm and lower income families are less likely to have air-conditioning, conception usually happens when the weather cools down in spring.

Should we be freaking if our kids were born in winter? No, says Hungerman, a Ph.D. (incidentally he was born in February). "When you have the kid may not matter as much as people thought," he says.

Also examined in the study is the fact that surveys report women think winter is the least desirable season to give birth. Buckles and Hungerman theorize that those who are better educated and wealthier time their births to more desirable seasons.

Do you think this study is accurate or a load of baloney?

next: Top Baby Names of 2008
Jen H December 24, 2008, 1:56 PM

This gets my defenses up because almost all of my children were born in the winter months. Heck, I was even born during the winter months. They have all been very healthy and seem to be quite bright individuals.

Sounds like a flawed study. True, many children are conceieved during the spring and early summer months, and that results in what? Winter Birthdays!
I wonder how many people were included in this study and how they determined their IQ’s, etc…

amber December 24, 2008, 2:26 PM

I have had a summer baby and a winter baby. I would rather be pregnant and large when it is cool out and my hormone induced heat is uncomfortable. I think each child is smart and unique in their own way and to try to find yet another factor to blame the way any kid turns out is bs. Loving, nuturing and disciplining your kids will have more of an impact on them than what season the were born in…

Trina December 24, 2008, 10:50 PM

Sounds like another one of those stories that’s overplayed in the media — especially if one of the scientists involved in the study admits that it’s basically meaningless! Incidentally my older daughter was born in February, and her school classified her as “gifted” when she was in kindergarten.

tnmom December 25, 2008, 9:22 PM

Let’s see: I graduated from college, was married for 10 years before having my first child, and have 2 daughters born in January. They have always been healthy. One has an I.Q. of 138,the other 145.

Laura December 26, 2008, 2:01 PM

How silly. My son was born mid January and is in the gifted program at school. Such foolishness!

anonymous December 28, 2008, 8:44 PM

Did anyone happen to notice the mistake in the article? They say a majority of winter babies are born to lower class women, and that the summertime effects fertility, and therefore conceive in the spring when the weather cools off. Since when does Spring come after summer?

albertine December 30, 2008, 3:34 PM

I wouldn’t put much stock in this, there are so many conflicting studies out there such as this
www.xoxohth.com/thread.php?thread_id=340165&forum_id=1

Andre September 23, 2009, 6:09 PM

@ Jen. It sounds like you must be stupid.