Barbie B*tch Slaps Bratz

Mattel wins Bratz doll copyright infringement ruling.

barbie-slap-bratz.jpg

If you're a mom who hates those trampy Bratz dolls, your lucky day has arrived.

The world's biggest toymaker, responsible for beloved Barbie, won a court order that bans MGA Entertainment, Inc., the manufacturer of the Bratz doll line, from making or selling any more dolls. The verdict, however, won't be put into effect until after the holiday season.

Apparently, a Mattel designer came up with the Bratz name and characters when employed at the company and then secretly took the idea to MGA.

"Mattel has established its exclusive rights to the Bratz drawings, and the court has found that hundreds of the MGA parties' products, including all the currently available core female fashion dolls Mattel was able to locate in the marketplace, infringe those rights," U.S. District Judge Stephen Larson said in his ruling.

The judge also granted Mattel's request to order MGA not to use the name "Bratz." Mattel was awarded $100 million in damages. MGA plans to appeal.

Last year, when the Mattel lawsuit saw its first days in court, momlogic weighed the odds of who would win in a battle between Barbies and Bratz:

bratzbarbiesmackdown.jpg

next: Don't (Bleep) with My Facebook Wall
mommypie December 4, 2008, 2:54 PM

Yes, Mattel, there IS a Santa Clause.

Awesome. Now let’s hope the skanks go away for good!

hooray December 4, 2008, 3:30 PM

I hate those dolls. I would never have bought them for my girls. They look like skanks!!

~Yippie~ December 4, 2008, 4:03 PM

This is GREAT news!! there was no way i would EVER buy a skanky doll like them Bratz for my little girls!!!!!! its about time this happends

Anonymous December 4, 2008, 10:30 PM

Have you given any thought about the hundreds of people that will lose their jobs because of this verdict? If you don’t like a product then don’t purchase it!

You should be more concerned with television,movies and video games containing excessive violence.

-Children become less sensitive to the pain and suffering of others
-Children become more fearful of the world around them
-Children may be more likely to behave in aggressive or harmful ways toward others

Bratz dolls do not cause any of the above.

Shame on you all!!

ak mom December 5, 2008, 4:25 PM

I’m not a fan of these dolls and would never buy them for my kids or anyone else’s. Lucky for me I have boys so I never had to choose if these were appropriate for my kids or not. With that said I don’t know that Mattel should be allow to profit from this individual’s idea. Instead of having a Brats vs Barbie Smack-down list it would be nice if you included details of the case and possibly had an attorney or two weigh-in on the legalities of the case. For example, did this inventor sign a non-compete type of contract or have a contract with Mattel wherein Mattel owned all inventions created by this individual while he worked at the company? What job did this person hold at Mattel? Was Mattel working on a similar product while this person was employed there? Was the idea of the Bratz Dolls presented to Mattel only to be rejected so the guy took it elsewhere??

Really Momlogic you should have addressed at least a few of these subjects in this article…

Mattel family December 23, 2008, 1:05 PM

First of all, let me say that I was very excited about this verdict! My brother works for Mattel that’s the only reason I know particulars on this case. The guy in question was contracted to design for Mattel only and they were Barbie designs. Thus, he had access to “top secret” portions of the design, which he then sold to MGA for his personal profit. What they did in the case is take the Barbie and Kelly dolls and show ways the design is similar to the Bratz dolls. Of course the more obvious portions of the dolls were changed, which is why they look so incredibly ugly! There are other portions that were incredibly similar.

Regis September 5, 2009, 12:21 PM

Excuse me. Cheerfulness, it would appear, is a matter which depends fully as much on the state of things within, as on the state of things without and around us.
I am from Chile and learning to write in English, give true I wrote the following sentence: “Once, days interpreted in the stock trade saving a different swapmany of statutes and products, and made the uk’s number 1 week stock not into the transactions.”

With love ;), Regis.

Jalene September 10, 2009, 1:30 AM

Hello. Our imagination is the only limit to what we can hope to have in the future.
I am from Czech and know bad English, please tell me right I wrote the following sentence: “Its international toilet is often $ 6 billion.”

Regards :o Jalene.