Obama Admits He's Still Smoking

President-elect Barack Obama has vowed to wife Michelle and the rest of America that he'd stop smoking. Has he kept his promise?

Barack Obama

Besides making history as America's first black President, Barack Obama has another challenging obstacle to overcome: Quitting smoking.

Obama was in the hot seat Sunday during NBC's "Meet the Press" program, when interviewer Tom Brokaw pressed him on whether or not he had kicked his twenty-year habit. The President-elect appeared visibly uncomfortable when Brokaw informed Obama he had avoided answering the question during an interview last month with ABC's Barbara Walters

Mentioning that the White House is a non-smoking zone (thanks to former First Lady Hillary Clinton, now Obama's nominee for Secretary of State), Brokaw asked Obama, "Have you stopped smoking?"

"I have," Obama replied, smiling. "What I said was that there are times where I have fallen off the wagon."

"Wait a minute," Brokaw interjected, "that means you haven't stopped."

"Fair enough," Obama said. "What I would say is that I have done a terrific job under the circumstances of making myself much healthier. You will not see any violations of these rules in the White House."

Obama had initially kicked the habit at wife Michelle's request before he began his presidential campaign, and since has taken steps to improve his health -- the 47-year-old hits the gym and runs three miles daily and occasionally plays basketball. He also chews Nicorette gum when he's not making public appearances. And according to his doctor, Obama's in top heath and fit to serve as President.

Obama has promised to be candid about his health, saying, "In terms of additional records, if there are particular things that people have questions about, then we'd be happy to give that information."

Here's to hoping the father of two can keep that promise!

next: Mom Jailed After Daughter's Diabetes Death
Anonymous December 8, 2008, 12:19 PM

leave the man alone! so what if he smokes?!?! none of us do things we aren’t supposed to? people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones! no body is perfect….

visions December 8, 2008, 2:11 PM

Wow! You found something on the Brotha, he smokes cigarettes! That’s the least of what he could do based on the pressure America can put on this President. I guess now you’ll try to impeach him! LOL

CMP December 8, 2008, 2:24 PM

Who cares about the failing econamy, The Iraq war, and gas prices? Its more important that he quites smoking.

Mom of five angels December 8, 2008, 3:31 PM

I’m not going to pretend that I like Obama or even voted for him and frankly it concerns me what message as a mega roll model he sends to children who have been taught smoking is bad but leave the guy alone!!! At least he wasn’t caught with his pants around his ankles and then tried to use symantics to save himself. This has nothing to do with his ability to be President or honesty issues. He was honest about his addiction. I just hope he stops for his own health and the message he sends to his children and other youth of America.

Don Ghuffer December 8, 2008, 3:45 PM

Newports are flying off the shelf!

still craving December 8, 2008, 6:52 PM

So he smokes.Our dear Mr.Clinton did things much worse.
If I still smoked I would joun him.I still struggle every day.
Still craving.

H.G.R. December 9, 2008, 2:11 PM

NOBODY

BROTHER

ECONOMY QUITS

ROLE MODEL

JOIN

Maybe he could help our education system. The only post that didn’t include a spelling error was the slightly racist one. Imagine that.

M.C.C. December 11, 2008, 10:47 PM

I agree, Obama’s smoking is the least of this country’s problems. If he’s a great President, which I am sure he will try to be, let him have that small vice. He doesn’t have to do it in public for the kids to see. I agree with that argument, but leave the man alone already!

Bill M December 12, 2008, 12:33 AM

We need a smoker in the white house. This country is bizarrely obsessed with cigarettes. As if you can’t possibly die from something else. Pathetic!!!

keith December 12, 2008, 2:54 AM

who the he dbl hockey sticks really cares if he smokes or not. get a life people