Getting Paid for Your Period?

As if there's not enough of a battle behind push presents, now moms are seriously buying jewelry for a daughter's first menstruation. WTH, people!

girl and mom now we can get you jewelry

We probably all remember the day it happened... and there's probably an horrific memory that goes along with it.  So why would anyone want to throw the spotlight on their newly womanized little girl with a baubles to honor the momentous first period?

Maybe times have changed -- and now moms everywhere enjoy stopping to celebrate every little thing that their kid doesn't actually achieve but happens to them. This is the generation of a trophy for everyone, including the losers. But it just seems a bit weird. What's next ... a bracelet to commemorate a daughter's first douching?

What do you think? Comment in the momlogic community.

next: Cheat Sheet: Obama's Cabinet Picks
RUKIDDING December 2, 2008, 10:01 AM

It’s just another ways that gold-digging moms can pass it on to their little princesses. Jewelry is the answer to every life’s moment.

LoveysMum December 2, 2008, 11:05 AM

I just got a slap in the face. Apparently it’s a Jewish tradition.

birdsfly December 2, 2008, 11:51 AM

The present is to celebrate them “becoming a woman”. Maybe it could make the whole thing a little less traumatic. Also, we give presents to celebrate other small milestones, ever heard of the Tooth Fairy?

lolz December 2, 2008, 12:09 PM

I didn’t give my daughter a present, but instead explained to her that she’s become a woman and made sure she felt confident and not embarrassed of it. My present to her was a bunch of pads and some new panties. She was happy!

thordora December 2, 2008, 12:20 PM

My mother died before I got my period, and I would have killed for her to have been there. So my kids WILL be having a big deal made out of a VERY important rite of passage. Diamonds? Likely not. Something special though? Absolutely. They’re becoming women-if we don’t celebrate that, what’s the point of anything else?

Sarah Faries December 2, 2008, 12:23 PM

I don’t have girls… but I am one…. and I didn’t get a gift for getting my period… I got hugs, and a special outing w/ mom for icecream to ‘remember’ the day that my body was becoming a woman… to often I think it’s said that girls are becoming a woman because they get their period… bot womanhood is a state of mind and physicality as well… I know 10yo’s who get their period, but they’re not women…

I think society can send mixed signals. Celebrate growing, yes… give jewelry for getting a period, no.

Desiree - Mother Musings December 2, 2008, 12:38 PM

I think it is a special time in a girl’s life & we can choose to make it special or make it out to be a “curse”. I prefer to think of it as the special transition that it is and what better way than to celebrate it with a nice gift.
Different cultures & religions celebrate the passage into womanhood such as Quinceañera & Bat Mitzvah. Why not a small gift - emphasis on small - be given for true passage into womanhood?

Anonymous December 2, 2008, 12:58 PM

Special day with mom… totally great. But jewelry sends a messed up message.

Darlene December 2, 2008, 1:34 PM

What’s special about this piece of jewelry is not only the symbolism of this rite of passage, but also the healing properties that are provided. Garnet and Moonstone can be worn to help ease menstrual cramps. That’s some powerful bling that I’d give my daughter!

redmum December 2, 2008, 2:10 PM

I suppose you could find this distasteful given the spin put on it in your post.

I find nothing at all wrong with a mum buying their daughter something to mark the occasion, not unless we are taking about diamond rings or necklaces, but a suitable piece is fine by me. I bought my daughter a celtic design ring for starting secondary school, another milestone for a young adult. She loved it and I loved giving it to her. And it could hardly be described as ‘bling’.

The necklace on etsy isn’t something I would go for at all in saying that. Just because someone sells it, doesn’t mean it actually sells.

I really don’t understand people’s hectic opposition to this as a marker of an important moment in a girl’s life. I also don’t understand the negativity in the post around menstruation, surely that isn’t the message we should be imparting to our daughters!

And whats with the ‘without having to achieve’ nonsense, so do kids who just manage to scrap through school or whatever not deserve to have milestones marked.

Supportive Dad December 2, 2008, 2:30 PM

Why not celebrate milestones in our lives? Why not make a positive statement about a truly momentous event in a person’s life? Especially one that has, for whatever reason, been turned into such a negative experience in our culture. And BTW to describe the product as “bling” seems wrong. Bling is about ostentatious, tacky display of wealth. The item referred to isn’t either of those things.

Papaya Mom December 2, 2008, 3:50 PM

I don’t see buying a present for a child to mark a rite of passage….children don’t “achieve” birthdays and yet we celebrate those events with gifts?

I think it’s a nice way to welcome these girls into womanhood.

NOT all of us have horrid memories by the way, some of our parents told us what was coming and the event was not a bad one.

bee December 2, 2008, 3:56 PM

If you call a garnet, silver, and moonstone bead necklace “bling” you’re seriously deprived, lady! While not necessarily something I’d do, I think it’s a meaningful and sentimental gift to celebrate a rite of passage, and is an entirely valid choice. Maybe someone will buy you a gift when you take your head out of your…

Anonymous December 2, 2008, 4:10 PM

my mom ordered pizza that night and told my dad - i was so embarrassed

A Mother who will not pass on shame to her daughter... December 2, 2008, 4:22 PM

I guess you don’t celebrate birthdays or holidays in your house, huh? I truly hope you don’t pass on your negative, shameful attitude toward a normal, physiological event to your daughters. It’s not as if this particular piece of jewelry is worth a fortune, either. I think it’s a sweet idea to give your daughter a little gift. Getting your first period is an important rite of passage. Lots of mothers are marking this as a celebration - there are many First Period kits and How to Have a Red Party articles out there. Let’s get rid of the ‘shame’ of being women! This is a great idea!

Medika December 2, 2008, 4:54 PM

I think these jewelery peices to celebrate becoming a woman are fabulous!

I also think young men should be given something upon reaching 13ish. Like a post mentioned above, in the jewish tradition both sexes have thier own rituals upon reaching 12/13. Why not celebrate it?

This jewelery is something that would grow with the young lady, into adult hood. Something she could cherish.

My hubby said “If you had something like that, and started to wear it the second your camps started, it would be a clear indicator to me that I need to get your favorite chocolate, tea, midol. I’d love it if you had something like that!”

Open acceptance of a woman’s menses is a far better option than hiding it away as if it never happens. The gems are semi precious, it has silver. Bling? Not where I come from!

Mom December 2, 2008, 6:32 PM

I like the idea of giving a gift to acknowledge a daughter’s first true step into womanhood. And, I like the idea of giving jewelry, especially if it’s a family heirloom that was handed down to Mom at some point in her life by HER mother. My only concern is how responsible a young girl can be when it comes to owning a peice of expensive or sentimental jewelry. For my 8th grade graduation my mother gave me a family ring that had belonged to my grandmother. I lost it not long after. Perhaps a less treasured token would be better suited for a girl that age.

Uly December 2, 2008, 9:44 PM

Actually, I don’t have any unpleasant memories associated with my first period. Why would I, again?

bree December 3, 2008, 4:23 AM

WOW, ashamed of your womanhood much? It’s been a tradition and ritual in many countries for CENTURIES to celebrate womanhood, whether it be by special ceremonies, treatments with oils, moving to a different tent in the village. Why don’t you expand your circle, history, AND mind a little?

NotBroke December 3, 2008, 1:34 PM

Another stupid fad; and we wonder why everyone in America has cc debt.