Getting Paid for Your Period?

As if there's not enough of a battle behind push presents, now moms are seriously buying jewelry for a daughter's first menstruation. WTH, people!

girl and mom now we can get you jewelry

We probably all remember the day it happened... and there's probably an horrific memory that goes along with it.  So why would anyone want to throw the spotlight on their newly womanized little girl with a baubles to honor the momentous first period?

Maybe times have changed -- and now moms everywhere enjoy stopping to celebrate every little thing that their kid doesn't actually achieve but happens to them. This is the generation of a trophy for everyone, including the losers. But it just seems a bit weird. What's next ... a bracelet to commemorate a daughter's first douching?

What do you think? Comment in the momlogic community.

next: Cheat Sheet: Obama's Cabinet Picks
Anonymous December 3, 2008, 3:03 PM

Circle of Stones——by Judith Duwark

How might it have been different for you
if on your first menstrual day
Your mother had given you a bouquet
of flowers
and taken you to lunch
And then the two of you had gone to meet
your father at the jeweler—
Where your ears were pierced,
And your father bought you your
first pair of earrings.
And then you went with a few of your
friends and your mother’s friends
to get your first lip coloring. And then you
went for the very first time to the
Women’s Lodge to learn the wisdom of women.
How might your life be different?

Ivanna Blied December 4, 2008, 4:21 PM

now instead of push presents, we give them bush presents!

Louise Van Domelyn December 4, 2008, 4:32 PM

Well, it was certainly a celebration when my youngest received her “Aunt flo” for the first time. After explaining to her that her body was ridding itself of the demons of adulthood we went to church just like we do every night, but this time she was allowed to handle the snakes! We were so proud of our 7 year old that day…

True Story December 4, 2008, 4:40 PM

Louise is a twunt.

Louise Van Domelyn December 4, 2008, 5:06 PM

The Bible is the only true story, my friend. I’ll pray for your poor soul, but I can’t speak for the good Lord’s will to do anything other than to banish you to hell with the rest of the sodomites.

Phoun Thang December 4, 2008, 5:07 PM

Our daughter not allowed to come out of her room for 2 days after red tide.

Her mother and me disagree some, but what does she know. This is perfect reasons for not having daughters. Always some mess and crying, too much emotional.

seymour wiener December 4, 2008, 5:32 PM

do i get a prize when i lose my virginity?

Obese Chess December 4, 2008, 9:35 PM

This is blatant sexism. If we’re going to do this, men should be paid handsomely for their first erection.
The nerve of some people.

Anonymous December 4, 2008, 10:26 PM

Interestingly enough, that very necklace has sold! Likely due to the free advertising done by this very blog post. WTG!!

supercutjugga December 10, 2008, 5:19 AM

My daughter just Adored the pearl necklace i gave her to signify her entrance into womanhood.

clara January 10, 2009, 12:25 PM

Its just plain weird I also think its in very poor taste.Are you going to take the child to the jewelry store and say hey we would like a nice piece of jewelry to commerate little suzys period

K January 11, 2009, 9:54 PM

I am not a mom, however I somehow stumbled upon this sight. My parents gave me a beautiful necklace that I know I will be wearing 40 years from now. I wear it to special events, but I wear it continuously during my period just to let my mom know without having to say it. There is nothing wrong with giving a child a gift to celebrate a marker of becoming a woman, it enhances the moment and shows your daughter it’s not a bad thing.

hoolio February 10, 2009, 10:01 AM

7Fp0T8 hi! hooli?

Martha April 1, 2009, 12:39 PM

you seem angry! It’s a rite of passage to be commemorated any way one wishes!!!

Anonymous September 26, 2009, 6:23 PM

not down with the material girl training but to recognize this rite of passage is important. throwing a stigma on it helps no one. pass on confidence and have a bonding day with daughter and other women… thats what i would have wanted, rather than the slap I got.

Em June 2, 2010, 10:27 PM

Yeah, like myself my daughter started her period at age 10. I really dont think celebrating the bodies ability to become pregnant so young is a good idea. I did however have very fresh in my mind the cravings of lots of chocolate followed by a small bag of salty chips that I get monthly, so I took her for ice cream to make her feel better. It still continues to be our Mother Daughter ritual. PMS requires comforting more over celebrating.

Ten Tees January 9, 2011, 1:46 PM

Nice site! Nice and fun reading. I have got a single opinion to submit about t-shirts.

Pharmb614 April 6, 2011, 11:51 AM

Hello! bggbafb interesting bggbafb site!

www.momlogic.com April 7, 2011, 6:56 PM