What Are Caylee's Grandparents Hiding?

Cindy and George Anthony's credibility could be called into question.

are_caylees_grandparents_pm.jpg

If you knew your child was a murderer, wouldn't you do anything in your power to save them from life in prison or possibly the death penalty? OK -- what if it meant misleading the media or tampering with evidence? What to most people is just a hypothetical question of morals is very real for Cindy and George Anthony, parents of Casey Anthony, the mom from Central Florida accused of killing her daughter Caylee.

Should they be charged with obstruction of justice?

From the onset of the investigation into the disappearance of their granddaughter, the Anthonys have changed their story, morphing them from angry parents who hinted at their daughter's guilt into a loving mother and father who desperately defended her. Questions of their involvement in the disappearance became more numerous when their house was searched -- and investigators hauled off massive amounts of evidence -- after the remains of what's thought to be Caylee were found less than a quarter mile from their home.

To date, the Anthonys are not suspects in the case. Cindy, George and Casey's brother Lee have all been fingerprinted to rule out their involvement. The Anthonys' attorney Brad Conway stressed his clients are not being investigated but added, "If they do get charged, we will be prepared to aggressively defend them."

Although Judge Jeanine Pirro doesn't believe that at this time there is enough evidence to indict the couple on obstruction of justice charges, she does believe the Anthonys have known that Caylee has been dead for some time and are now attempting to protect Casey. "I don't think that there is any question that George and Cindy Anthony are circling the wagons around their daughter Casey," she says.

Charging someone with obstruction of justice rather than an attempt to mislead can be extremely difficult, explains Pirro,. "You must prove they [George and Cindy] knew something beforehand," she says. "For now, no one can be sure how much of the truth they know because the entire Anthony family has -- up to this point -- declined to take lie detector tests."

Below is a sample of inconsistencies in the Anthonys' comments and behavior:

The Hairbrush
In July, emails obtained by WFTV-Channel 9 suggest Cindy Anthony could have knowingly given the incorrect hairbrush to investigators who wanted a strand of Caylee's hair for DNA testing. In the email written to Larry Garrison, her spokesman at the time, Cindy says, "I never lied, I just never went to the bathroom to get the hairbrush I used for Caylee."

The Pants
Allegedly, Cindy Anthony washed a pair of Casey's pants that were left in the car after the Anthonys picked up the car from the tow yard.

On the topic of the pants, Cindy's brother Rick Plesea berates his sister in an email written in late August: "You have to be a moron to destroy evidence with washing pants that smell like a dead body."

The Smell in Casey's Car
From the moment Casey's car was picked up from the tow yard, it apparently emitted a very strong smell. Investigators concluded that it was consistent with the smell of a decomposing body.

Cindy alluded to it in her second 911 call July 15:

There's something wrong. I found my daughter's car today, and it smells like there's been a dead body in the damn car.

Then while speaking to Eyewitness News in August, she changed her story:

There was a bag of pizza for like 12 days in the trunk of the car full of maggots. It stunk so bad ... you know how hot it's been.

George Anthony seemed convinced the smell in the car was a decomposing body when he spoke with investigators in July:

I've been around that stuff, I mean the law enforcement stuff. We caught people out in the woods, out in a house in a car. So I know what it smells like. It's a smell that you never ... get rid of.

Then on "Larry King Live" on December 10, he had a different explanation for the smell:

My professional opinion is I never really realized how long it would take garbage to smell for 19 days or 18 days inside of a car in Florida.

The Pictures of Casey Partying
The images of Casey partying at Club Fusion showed the young mother drinking and dancing allegedly during the same time frame that Casey told investigators she was searching for her daughter.

During Cindy's appearance on the "Today" show in October, she said the pictures were not relevant to the case:

Most of the pictures happened before June 16th.

On "Larry King Live" in December, Cindy told Larry King the pictures we used for promotion for Club Fusion:

Those are photos that they used to entice other people to come into that club. She would have gotten paid for that photo. So, in fact, she was working.

What do you think? Do you believe George and Cindy could be indicted for obstruction of justice or are they just spinning the media?
caylee anthony casey_anthony_more_photos.jpg
Caylee Sighting?

next: Wasted Youth: Girls Gone Wild
ame i. December 17, 2008, 10:37 PM

Of course, we can’t know at this time what they knew and when they knew it, but I do feel they were not as oblivious to the truth or the suspicion of the truth for as long as they have pretended to.
I’m sure Casey used Caylee as a “weapon” and denied her parents access to the child any time she didn’t get her way or felt slighted. They were probably hesitant at first to cause any trouble once a week had gone by without them seeing Caylee.
I’ve seen it happen to an aunt of mine. If she and my uncle “stayed in good graces” with my cousin, handing over money with no questions asked, etc., they could see their grand daughter. My aunt had custody of my younger cousin for 8 years while the child’s mother was in prison for armed robbery. With an unloaded gun, at the direction of her then husband 3 or 4. I’ve lost count.
They lost their only grandchild and will probably loose their daughter to a jail cell. As a mother, I would do anything to protect either of my daughters, but would I if one killed my grandchild? I don’t know, I really don’t.

JoLinn December 17, 2008, 11:08 PM

This is so sad for all that are involved, there is part of me that feels sorry for the Anthony’s and there is the other side that does not feel sorry for them. I look at the hell that they have been through! Then the flip side I want to just smack them and say wake up and smell the coffee - your daughter murdered your grandaughter as hard as they may be to comprehend you really need to look at all the evidence!!! HELLO!!!! There is more to this story then we know and I believe they know more then what they are telling and so does their son Lee - he strikes me as a very odd person and something fishy about him that I do not like but I just can’t put my hand on it. Hopefully the full story will come out and we will all hear what really happened!

Gloria December 17, 2008, 11:31 PM

Sick people, who have never learned how to love, are all about power. My own parents were distressed at the idea that I could produce and care about my own children. To them it represented power that this disgusting, incompetent child of theirs was not worthy of. So they worked, quite unknowingly, I’m sure, at wresting that power away from me, by seducing their granddaughter, and drawing her towards thenselves. It is a most evil mechanism, designed to maintain their status quo, their need to feel contempt for me, whose only crime has been to be born to such a sick couple. As I have said before, the sense of betrayal at their machinations was overwhelming, when I finally caught on as to what they were up to. Unfortunately that rage also spilled over to my innocent daughter. I have apologized for the angry mother I used to be, and my daughter, who is now in the third decade of her life, has forgiven me, and we both have survived. I still insist, that no one, other than the person who has endured that kind of parental abuse, can even come close to understanding the hurt a perpetually dismissive, hurtful parent can inflict by using the grandchild as a weapon against the latter’s own parent. If anyone is going to get the death penalty, Cindy Anthony should be the first in line.

Melissa December 18, 2008, 12:52 AM

Maybe they find it unbelievable that their child could kill their grand-child. How can any parent imagine this? You want to believe the best and you just can’t believe the worst. Maybe they are just in denial themselves.

Amy December 18, 2008, 2:43 AM

Inconsistent statements are the only red flag I need to believe that the grandparents are hiding something. I would put it past them to be perpetrators of obstruction of justice, and it wouldn’t surprise me if one day they are eventually charged and convicted as such.

tatters December 18, 2008, 11:48 AM

Yes, they should be charged.
Right from the beginning, when LE came after the 911 calls, the lies started. They figured out Caylee was probably dead and Casey had something to do with it.
They chose to protect the murderer over finding out the truth about where their innocent, defenseless grandchild was.
They backed up the lies of a working Casey with a “nanny”.
Later Cindy attempted to cast suspicion on Amy and Jesse.
It went on far too long.

Susanne December 18, 2008, 12:26 PM

Connie Talbot’s version of “I will always love you” is a beautiful version. You cannot look at Caylee’s picture and listen to Connie sing this song without crying. I believe this song by Connie should be dedicated to all parents that have cut their children’s life short, either after conception or after birth. Each and every parent, mother and father will answer for their deed. To every single child that will not see tomorrow for they did not see today, I dedicate Connie’s version of ” I will always love you” to your parents. To the parents, how much will you sacrifice if you do not kneel and pray to ask our God above to forgive you for your ways? Don’t be to judgmental if you indeed have done the same.

Booger December 18, 2008, 1:27 PM

Rot in hell killer.

Robin December 18, 2008, 1:36 PM

OMG is the whole family nuts??? Yeah I do think that they need to be in trouble obviously they were not too worried about finding Caylee if they cant get off there lazy a#$ to get the hairbrush out of the bathroom. Giving the police the wrong one OMG idiots!! There whole family should hide in shame if it was mine I would!!!

marge December 18, 2008, 2:29 PM

I sure hope the Anthony’s be it Cindy, George, Lee or Casey, cannot write a book or make a movie about the poor baby Caylee. Why should they profit from a child’s murder. There should be a law forbidding this to happen.

Lisa December 18, 2008, 9:34 PM

At the time of the first call to 911 Cindy thought that her daughter Casey might have been killed. She said she “couldn’t find her daughter and granddaughter” but once she found that Casey was alive and Caylee was the missing person is when she started to cover things up. At that time she realized that Casey had done something and took the pants in her possession deliberatly washing them. Her husband George was in law enforcement and she knew that was she was doing was wrong but wanted to protect her daughter. She should be penalized for that act. George, in my opinion, is basically innocent and worked with law enforcement as much as he could without handing his own daughter to them with his words.

Anna December 18, 2008, 10:49 PM

I am glad someone mentioned the pants again. I heard the pants were gray dress slacks with pin stripes, and a off white colored shirt. I’ve been asking this for months. That is the same description of the clothes she was weaaring when arrested this last time. How many people have the exact same outfit in there wardrobe? It smacks of “so what” type of attitude from her. I really do believe that her choice of outfit for her arrest day is a final slap in the face to those looking for Caylee.

Ann Gough December 19, 2008, 6:48 AM

Cindy and George should certainly be charged with obstructing justice. I think they knew all along what happened to Caylee but wanted to protect their daughter. They should all be put on the Steve Wilkos show. He is one person who could get the truth out of them. Boy, would I love to see that. Casey I think definitely killed her daughter and the grandparents should be charged with obstructing justice without immunity.

Harriet December 19, 2008, 7:37 AM

Cindy is the worst character of them all.

paul December 19, 2008, 7:41 AM

As long as they nail down her parents’ involvement before proceeding. I hope they are in a cell when the electric chair dims the prison lights as the mother fries.

ashley December 19, 2008, 7:47 AM

I don’t think they should be charged. They know they were wrong. There lives are forever changed for the worse and I think that’s enough. The only way I think they should be charged is if they had something to do with the murder which they didn’t. The other day I asked my dad who is an attorney, if he would turn me in if I murdered someone and he said absolutely. And we are best friends. A few years ago, before kids, I got arrested for having a little bit of pot on me and he didn’t even try very hard to get me off. I still got 20 hours of community service. He said I had to pay for my crime. Obviously the Anthony’s don’t feel the same way about their daughter.

James R.Gray December 19, 2008, 7:54 AM

Forgive the Anthony’s;that will teach them a lesson!

JANET December 19, 2008, 8:04 AM

THIS WHOLE MESS IS UNREAL, HAVE BEEN WATCHING IT FROM BEGINNING, DOESNT ANYONE SEE HOW MUCH OF A LIAR THEY ALL ARE, GRANDMOTHER DID SO MANY THINGS, LIES AND LIES IF WATCH IT EVERY DAY, AND ALWAYS WANTS THE SPOTLIGHT, FATHER PLAYS ALONG BUT TRYS TO KEEP IN BACKGROUND,KNEW FROM THE BEGINNING AM SURE, AS FOR THE TRAMP MOM, JUST THE PICTURES OF PARTYING TELL THE STORY AS DAUGHTER WAS MISSING THEN, WATCHED HER MANY TIMES AND ALWAYS THINKS OF HERSELF, SHE GETS HER LYING FROM THE SAMW WAY HER MOTHER LIES ALL THE TIME AND IN SPOTLIGHT WITH SIGNS, AND SO ON, AND ON LARRY KING A TOTAL DIFFRENT STORY AGAIN, JUST HAVE TO SEE THE BACKGROUND AND KNOW, EVEN BROTHER SURE KNOWS MORE THEN HE IS SAYING-POOR KID, AND SO CUTE, GOT ALOT OF ATTENTION AND THAT WAS THE CULPRIT, AND WHO IS THE LADY IN BACKGROUND THE BLACK WOMAN AT SINK SEE MANY TIMES, SHE MAY BE THE CLEANING LADY OR HELP WITH HOUSEWWORK AND KITCHEN, BET SHE KNOWS ALOT, DID ANYONE ASK HER WHAT SHE KNEW, IS IN PICTURES NOW AND THEN THEY SHOW IN BACKGROUND WITH LITTLE KAYLEE AND WORKING AT SINK, BRIGHT PINK PANTS ON, AND FLOWERED TOP, SAME AS METER GUY WHO CALLED IN EARLY AUGUST, AND NOW STATES CALLED IN THREE TIMES NOW, IT JUST SEEMS TO GET BIGGER AND BIGGER WITH SURPRISES, SURE HOPE THEY FIND MOM GUILTY AND IF GRANDMOM KNOWS MORE AND COVERS UP FOR THE SPOILED BRAT DAUGHTER, WELL SHE SURE WONT SLEEP AT NIGHT IN TIME TO COME-LITTLE GRANDAUGHTER WILL ALWAYS BE THERE SINGING AND MEMORIES CANT ERASE—JUST MY OPINION BUT WOOOO PEOPLE ARE SOMETHIGN ELSE-HARD TO TELL TRUTH ON DAUGHER, UNLESS SEE GRANDCHILD DEAD AND NO ONE TO SPEAK FOR HER—GOD BLESS THEM ALL

Lisa December 19, 2008, 8:10 AM

Casey is definitely cunning to say the least - if that is true that she was wearing the same clothes! This is a sad case and with a mother (Cindy) who allowed the lies and deceit all through Casey growing up and not getting her counseling for it - I would say she should be feeling guilty. But it seems to me that she (Cindy) too is cunning and doing her best to cover anything she could think of. The law enforcement is so much smarter than Cindy and Casey believed, now finding themselves in more trouble than if they would have simply told the truth.

Cindy saying that “she didn’t lie” simply mislead the police give us the ideas that her own personality and moral standard was carried down to her daughter and son too. He isn’t cooperating with anything, and I find the “close” relationship between those two, very odd.

Glad the utility worker carried through with his feelings and found Caylee. This case will be talked about for so many years to come. I would like to see a full article about all that was found or a book by an official giving all the case entries to read the complete events that took place in convicting Casey. That, I will buy.

kathy  December 19, 2008, 8:14 AM

Wow, I have alot to say, but will try and make it short. I am a grandmother of 4 beautiful grandchildren, just as the Anthony’s I live minutes from them all, if my daughter told ME, she didn’t know where one of my grandchildren were I think I would jerk a knot in her head and MAKE her come clean before anyone else was involved.
These people are just plain stupid, I have never witnessed so much lying by them ALL.
Why didn’t the police question Casey hour and after hour after hour and untill she broke, they treat this murderer like she was a celebrity.
I think the entire family are guilty.
And I happen to know the grandparents of the girl Casey stole the checks from and the car and they said from the beginning that the whole family were crazy.

I am so sadened that this beautiful, smart innocent little girl was left in the hands of that mother and I am sure the Anthony’s knew their daughter was a liar and by Casey’s remarks and jealousy of her little girl they should have known she was mentally off. That girl is as pathological liar and a severe and dangerous narcissist !!!
The Anthony’s are just as guilty for turning a deaf ear to their daughters behavior, I would bet that Casey Anthony has been mentally ill all along.