What Are Caylee's Grandparents Hiding?

Cindy and George Anthony's credibility could be called into question.

are_caylees_grandparents_pm.jpg

If you knew your child was a murderer, wouldn't you do anything in your power to save them from life in prison or possibly the death penalty? OK -- what if it meant misleading the media or tampering with evidence? What to most people is just a hypothetical question of morals is very real for Cindy and George Anthony, parents of Casey Anthony, the mom from Central Florida accused of killing her daughter Caylee.

Should they be charged with obstruction of justice?

From the onset of the investigation into the disappearance of their granddaughter, the Anthonys have changed their story, morphing them from angry parents who hinted at their daughter's guilt into a loving mother and father who desperately defended her. Questions of their involvement in the disappearance became more numerous when their house was searched -- and investigators hauled off massive amounts of evidence -- after the remains of what's thought to be Caylee were found less than a quarter mile from their home.

To date, the Anthonys are not suspects in the case. Cindy, George and Casey's brother Lee have all been fingerprinted to rule out their involvement. The Anthonys' attorney Brad Conway stressed his clients are not being investigated but added, "If they do get charged, we will be prepared to aggressively defend them."

Although Judge Jeanine Pirro doesn't believe that at this time there is enough evidence to indict the couple on obstruction of justice charges, she does believe the Anthonys have known that Caylee has been dead for some time and are now attempting to protect Casey. "I don't think that there is any question that George and Cindy Anthony are circling the wagons around their daughter Casey," she says.

Charging someone with obstruction of justice rather than an attempt to mislead can be extremely difficult, explains Pirro,. "You must prove they [George and Cindy] knew something beforehand," she says. "For now, no one can be sure how much of the truth they know because the entire Anthony family has -- up to this point -- declined to take lie detector tests."

Below is a sample of inconsistencies in the Anthonys' comments and behavior:

The Hairbrush
In July, emails obtained by WFTV-Channel 9 suggest Cindy Anthony could have knowingly given the incorrect hairbrush to investigators who wanted a strand of Caylee's hair for DNA testing. In the email written to Larry Garrison, her spokesman at the time, Cindy says, "I never lied, I just never went to the bathroom to get the hairbrush I used for Caylee."

The Pants
Allegedly, Cindy Anthony washed a pair of Casey's pants that were left in the car after the Anthonys picked up the car from the tow yard.

On the topic of the pants, Cindy's brother Rick Plesea berates his sister in an email written in late August: "You have to be a moron to destroy evidence with washing pants that smell like a dead body."

The Smell in Casey's Car
From the moment Casey's car was picked up from the tow yard, it apparently emitted a very strong smell. Investigators concluded that it was consistent with the smell of a decomposing body.

Cindy alluded to it in her second 911 call July 15:

There's something wrong. I found my daughter's car today, and it smells like there's been a dead body in the damn car.

Then while speaking to Eyewitness News in August, she changed her story:

There was a bag of pizza for like 12 days in the trunk of the car full of maggots. It stunk so bad ... you know how hot it's been.

George Anthony seemed convinced the smell in the car was a decomposing body when he spoke with investigators in July:

I've been around that stuff, I mean the law enforcement stuff. We caught people out in the woods, out in a house in a car. So I know what it smells like. It's a smell that you never ... get rid of.

Then on "Larry King Live" on December 10, he had a different explanation for the smell:

My professional opinion is I never really realized how long it would take garbage to smell for 19 days or 18 days inside of a car in Florida.

The Pictures of Casey Partying
The images of Casey partying at Club Fusion showed the young mother drinking and dancing allegedly during the same time frame that Casey told investigators she was searching for her daughter.

During Cindy's appearance on the "Today" show in October, she said the pictures were not relevant to the case:

Most of the pictures happened before June 16th.

On "Larry King Live" in December, Cindy told Larry King the pictures we used for promotion for Club Fusion:

Those are photos that they used to entice other people to come into that club. She would have gotten paid for that photo. So, in fact, she was working.

What do you think? Do you believe George and Cindy could be indicted for obstruction of justice or are they just spinning the media?
caylee anthony casey_anthony_more_photos.jpg
Caylee Sighting?

next: Wasted Youth: Girls Gone Wild
Anonymous December 19, 2008, 10:55 AM

With Casey’s father being a homicide detective for 10 years knows what a dead body smells like. Like he said himself you never forget that smell. Cindy and George knew what happened as soon as they smelled that smell. Casey has been lying since this all started.
There is something seriously wrong with this family. For Cindy to chock her daughter in fight before Casey left with Caylee tells you something of that family sructer. Casey feels that her mother does not care about her so why should she care about that little life she has in her hands.
Also Casey wanted put caylee up for adoption and her parents said NO. And tried to make her responsible for the child. So what did they expect? Casey’s own best friend wanted to adopt Caylee. But the parents who wanted to be in control. Would not let that happen. So after being chocked Casey got rid of her. I do not Condon what Casey did. But this is exactly what happens when a parent tries to make a child responsible for something they did when they are not or can not handle the responsibility. Both Casey and Caylee should have never been put in this position. A Child raising a child. And with everything that has happened. I feel that the parents should be held or charged for interfering with investigation. I think Casey should get the death penalty. There are too many options for her to drop a child off at a hospital or police station without any questions. To take the Childs life is uncalled for. Casey could have put up for adoption without her mothers Cindy’s consent. But to do what she did then go party just shows she is not mature enough to raise a child.
I only pray the grandparents get charges filled against them and I can only pray after seeing Casey party after what she did to Caylee.
That she gets put to death. Why should the tax payers pay for her being in jail after what she did to Caylee. DEATH. Do you want to pay for her being in jail for the rest of her life? I know I don’t.
That little girl never had a fighting chance in that family. Cindy knew Casey could not raise that child. Why was she not mature enough to take the child herself?

Linda December 19, 2008, 10:59 AM

I believe that Cindy might be changing her story to cover up for her daughter, but she should remember her grand daughter. It is heart breaking to think a parent could murder their own child and than cover it up, must less live with it. I think that ALL THOSE involved in the murder and the cover up should be proscuted to the fullist extent possible. May God have mercy on them all if they did this to a child.

Lynn December 19, 2008, 11:01 AM

Originally the Anthony’s both reported a “smell of death” in the car. However a combiation of lawyers, hope & denial probably changed their minds. Casey felt trapped & angry with her mother for forcing her into parenting.
I would not expect the Anthony’s to give up hope for Caylee or condemn their daughter before final evidence.
Unless they deliberately mislead investigators, they should not be charged.

Debbie December 19, 2008, 11:07 AM

The first question of the story asks would you do everything to protect your child if you knew they committed a murder. Well I don’t care if it was my child or someone elses child. NO, that is my answer. I don’t believe that we as citizens have a right to take a life of another human being whether the life be a child or an adult. That should be in the hands of the All Mighty himself. I have 2 daughters and they will tell anyone who asks them if I would stand beside them if they murdered anyone. I know that they would say my mother will stand beside me but she will also help send me to pay for a sin that I had committed. My children know that I don’t believe in murder and I will send them to jail if they did something so cold to another human being. I have a daughter that lives in Orange County and she knows that I will not stand for something like that. I feel that if Casey Anthony did not want her child she should have put that child up for adoption. She has done this to get attention on herself and that is all she wanted was the attention. As for her parents they should go to jail also for knowing and hiding the evidence in this matter as well as misleading the police. I see them in their future burning in Hell and certainly not going to heaven. NO ONE AND I MEAN NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO TAKE THE LIFE OF ANOTHER HUMAN BEING WHETHER IT WAS MY CHILD OR SOMEONE ELSES CHILD TAKING A LIFE; NO ONE HAS THAT RIGHT!!!!! As for Cindy and George having to go through all of this and them being upset and teary eyed; well if it was my grandchild that had disappeared I know that I would have been too upset and angry to have been as well composed as they were during this whole ordeal. I could not have put on a good front like they have done. I am thinking of Caylee and how that poor tiny child had to suffer with what her family had done to her. She is the one that needs our praise for not having a family that really cared about her. Well she will be in heaven soon because closure is coming.

Anonymous December 19, 2008, 11:17 AM

The grandparents know more than they are telling. I think they already knew the child was deceased. they are all 3 liars. She will probably get away with murder because they have told so many stories. She didn’t tell her mom for a month, and then she told all kinds of lies about what happened. The mother believes her??? please…

amina December 19, 2008, 11:28 AM

I knew the first time I tuned into this that the she killed her little girl you can see it all in her face LIER and for these people to go so long with her lies made them guilty and for her parents no we don’t think our child would do such a thing but im sure that deep down her parents believed that she did kill her baby they just held it in for the sake of that low life daughter self center witch the sad thing is this that baby life was taken away for no reason i don’t know how the mother can sleep they should have had camra’s on her at all time to see if she was having problems sleeping or anything out of the ordinary i think that this hole case was not done right.

Anonymous December 19, 2008, 11:42 AM

Doe’sthe name Susan Smith ring a bell? not the second o’jay. the second Susan Smith. She killed her two little boys because her boyfriend did not wanta ready made family. Since she has been in jail the media has reported that she has had a couple of abortions. Casey’ boyfriend did not want her child around. She could not party as a young single Woman would like. the police never believed Susan and they don’t believe Casey. As far as the parents kids learn to lie at an early age, when they see their parents tell lie’s and get away with it. hopefully this woman doe’s not have some deep dark family secret like Susan had. I can’t understand why a mother would rather see her child dead than in the custody of her parents.

jimmy December 19, 2008, 12:29 PM

maybe the kid finders should be more looked at as the biggest scam around. its funny they have never found any person missing but they sure know how to fill there money jars.they sure left town and out of sight when the news media asked them about there past and being busted for acting like he was a police officer.they were at bike week and were raffling of a motorcycle but its funny no won ever won the bike. seems like a great scam agin.

carole December 19, 2008, 1:09 PM

If George & Cindy want full immunity, there has to be a reason. Now that the body is found, maybe they are worried about the truth coming out…i.e., their daughter killed their granddaughter…and how they tried to help Casey by letting off “smoke bombs”. The email from Cindy to her former attorney justifying being “truthful” by not giving LE the actual hairbrush she used for Caylee IS obstruction of justice. She is not aiding the prosecution, she is hindering it, and should be prosecuted accordingly. As for George…grow some cajones mister. He knew what he smelled in that car, yet let Cindy and Caylee stifle his opinions. And Lee - is Caylee YOUR kid?

Sooz December 19, 2008, 1:31 PM

Debbie asked the same question I would have, whether or not I would stand by or defend my child had I found out they murdered someone. She said she would make them accountable! Right on Deb! I have a 23 yr. old son and 32 year old daughter. My daughter has a doctorate in Clinical Psychology. She turned out great! My son is a late bloomer, a follower, easily manipulated, and grew up with ADD. When he was 10 or 11, I was called by the managers of a CVS Drug Store. He and a friend were caught shoplifting and the store cameras captured them placing the items in their bookbags. I WAS LIVID and embarrassed. I had always taught my son RIGHT FROM WRONG, and the importance of HONESTY and to be TRUSTWORTHY. I dragged him home and threatened to send him to a REFORM SCHOOL. I told him the story of the “Little Boy Who Cried Wolf”, and said, that when you LIE, when you STEAL, NO ONE will trust you in life. You will always be suspect, even when you really ARE telling the truth. I made him write in long hand a long composition on why he shouldn’t lie and steal, and another 200x “I will not lie or steal every again”. Then he was grounded for weeks. I told him, if you EVER get arrested for this again, as a teenager, or adult, or any other crime, DO NOT COME TO ME and expect me to cover it up, because I WON’T. I will visit you in JAIL while you do your time and get punished. With every crime, there is accountability. IF CASEY’S parents had nipped this in the bud, EARLY ON, instead of ENABLING her, maybe she would not have turned out to be so callous and self-absorbed.They walk on eggs when they talk to her, and I am sickened when they drip sweetness to her in JAILHOUSE visit chats, calling her “GORGEOUS AND SWEETHEART”, when they say, “well, who’s fault is that, sweetheart, when you tell lies….” and Casey curses at her own parents. That will be the day that my children, now adults, every disrespects me by cursing at me! You do the crime, do the time. I WILL NOT STAND BY YOU or ENABLE YOU!

Debbie December 19, 2008, 1:32 PM

The first question of the story asks would you do everything to protect your child if you knew they committed a murder. Well I don’t care if it was my child or someone elses child. NO, that is my answer. I don’t believe that we as citizens have a right to take a life of another human being whether the life be a child or an adult. That should be in the hands of the All Mighty himself. I have 2 daughters and they will tell anyone who asks them if I would stand beside them if they murdered anyone. I know that they would say my mother will stand beside me but she will also help send me to pay for a sin that I had committed. I have a daughter that lives in Orange County and she knows that I will not stand for something like that and she would go to jail if I knew about it. I feel that if Casey Anthony did not want her child she should have put that child up for adoption. She has done this to get attention on herself and that is all she wanted was the attention. As for her parents they should go to jail also for knowing and hiding the evidence in this matter as well as misleading the police. I see them in their future burning in Hell and certainly not going to heaven. NO ONE AND I MEAN NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO TAKE THE LIFE OF ANOTHER HUMAN BEING WHETHER IT WAS MY CHILD OR SOMEONE ELSES CHILD TAKING A LIFE; NO ONE HAS THAT RIGHT!!!!! As for Cindy and George having to go through all of this and them being upset and teary eyed; well if it was my grandchild that had disappeared I know that I would have been too upset and angry to have been as well composed as they were during this whole ordeal. I could not have put on a good front like they have done. I am thinking of Caylee and how that poor tiny child had to suffer with what her family had done to her. She is the one that needs our praise for not having a family that really cared about her. Well she will be in heaven soon because closure is coming.

shirley December 19, 2008, 1:45 PM

she done it I am 65 and I know I wi;; never see her get whats coming to her..when my son was 15 he broke his neck and is now a quad..I didnt eat or sleep for days and felt sick all the time and this dill do is eating and playing cards..she is a evil person

carol December 19, 2008, 1:54 PM

The brother has not been finger printed. He refused……this entire family is in on this terrible crime. They all should be locked up. There is no way parents should help their children when crime such as this has happened. TERRIBLE

Debbie December 19, 2008, 2:08 PM

the body found was caylee and I hope that family burns in hell for this

suzanne bossert December 19, 2008, 2:16 PM

Cindy and George should be charged for constantly changing their stories.George once said the kidnappers been watched and they know it also he has been asked if Cassey knows who has her daughter he said absolutely she knows.Cindy and George mislead the whole country not only the investigation.They should go to jail both of them especially Cindy may be for the rest of her life.

judith December 19, 2008, 2:52 PM

How could Casey be living with her parents and even after a few days they are not asking where there grandchild is at…. it sure does not sound right to me, what were they thinking????? I know I would be asking right away if I cared and loved my grandchild.

Carol December 19, 2008, 4:08 PM

It is little Caylee—-my heart aches for her, she never had a chance in life. Why did they (grandparents) wait so long, they knew that their daughter was a lunatic. She learned how to lie from someone, and it does not happen overnight. What is wrong with these people? They should have got legal custody of this little child from the beginning, and not let that lunatic be in charge of her. Rest in peace little one…God be with you…

Denise December 19, 2008, 4:37 PM

Caylees remains were just identified. It’s on all the news channels. Everyone is trying to figure out why her body wasn’t found earlier. Well I don’t see how that area wasn’t searched. They had alot of volunteers plus the police force searching. Now once an area was searched why would you search it again? That’s probably what the grandparents were thinking when they probably moved her body, which would explain ALOT of questions. The cause of death has to be determined still.Why would she have used duct tape on the babys mouth if she poisoned her. Kinda makes you wonder if she was alive when her mom put her in the trunk.That poor baby must have been so scared. Well I know she’s having a wonderful time in heaven now though.

Ross December 19, 2008, 6:22 PM

There is too many lies that has been told by the mother and grand parents.
I hope the mother gets the chair and then go after the grand parents and make it stick. They also so should be given the chair to.
The little girl had no way to defend her self and now its time for state of Fla and the federal goverment to defend her with no expense even if she is dead.
We need to set examples and give the hashes penilty we can dish out.

connie December 20, 2008, 12:36 AM

ok i understand that parents want to protect thier children but these 2 have 2 know when it is time to let go and allow the law to do its job. My personal feeling is thatthese 2 and thier son need to be punished for any wrong doing that they are able to prove that has been done, and as for that horrible witch Casey. I hope that she rots in hell and suffers the same fate that her presious daughter sadly had to endure.I hope that they do give the option of the death penalty, or at least put her in a prison where the women in there will show her no kind of mercy.