What Are Caylee's Grandparents Hiding?

Cindy and George Anthony's credibility could be called into question.

are_caylees_grandparents_pm.jpg

If you knew your child was a murderer, wouldn't you do anything in your power to save them from life in prison or possibly the death penalty? OK -- what if it meant misleading the media or tampering with evidence? What to most people is just a hypothetical question of morals is very real for Cindy and George Anthony, parents of Casey Anthony, the mom from Central Florida accused of killing her daughter Caylee.

Should they be charged with obstruction of justice?

From the onset of the investigation into the disappearance of their granddaughter, the Anthonys have changed their story, morphing them from angry parents who hinted at their daughter's guilt into a loving mother and father who desperately defended her. Questions of their involvement in the disappearance became more numerous when their house was searched -- and investigators hauled off massive amounts of evidence -- after the remains of what's thought to be Caylee were found less than a quarter mile from their home.

To date, the Anthonys are not suspects in the case. Cindy, George and Casey's brother Lee have all been fingerprinted to rule out their involvement. The Anthonys' attorney Brad Conway stressed his clients are not being investigated but added, "If they do get charged, we will be prepared to aggressively defend them."

Although Judge Jeanine Pirro doesn't believe that at this time there is enough evidence to indict the couple on obstruction of justice charges, she does believe the Anthonys have known that Caylee has been dead for some time and are now attempting to protect Casey. "I don't think that there is any question that George and Cindy Anthony are circling the wagons around their daughter Casey," she says.

Charging someone with obstruction of justice rather than an attempt to mislead can be extremely difficult, explains Pirro,. "You must prove they [George and Cindy] knew something beforehand," she says. "For now, no one can be sure how much of the truth they know because the entire Anthony family has -- up to this point -- declined to take lie detector tests."

Below is a sample of inconsistencies in the Anthonys' comments and behavior:

The Hairbrush
In July, emails obtained by WFTV-Channel 9 suggest Cindy Anthony could have knowingly given the incorrect hairbrush to investigators who wanted a strand of Caylee's hair for DNA testing. In the email written to Larry Garrison, her spokesman at the time, Cindy says, "I never lied, I just never went to the bathroom to get the hairbrush I used for Caylee."

The Pants
Allegedly, Cindy Anthony washed a pair of Casey's pants that were left in the car after the Anthonys picked up the car from the tow yard.

On the topic of the pants, Cindy's brother Rick Plesea berates his sister in an email written in late August: "You have to be a moron to destroy evidence with washing pants that smell like a dead body."

The Smell in Casey's Car
From the moment Casey's car was picked up from the tow yard, it apparently emitted a very strong smell. Investigators concluded that it was consistent with the smell of a decomposing body.

Cindy alluded to it in her second 911 call July 15:

There's something wrong. I found my daughter's car today, and it smells like there's been a dead body in the damn car.

Then while speaking to Eyewitness News in August, she changed her story:

There was a bag of pizza for like 12 days in the trunk of the car full of maggots. It stunk so bad ... you know how hot it's been.

George Anthony seemed convinced the smell in the car was a decomposing body when he spoke with investigators in July:

I've been around that stuff, I mean the law enforcement stuff. We caught people out in the woods, out in a house in a car. So I know what it smells like. It's a smell that you never ... get rid of.

Then on "Larry King Live" on December 10, he had a different explanation for the smell:

My professional opinion is I never really realized how long it would take garbage to smell for 19 days or 18 days inside of a car in Florida.

The Pictures of Casey Partying
The images of Casey partying at Club Fusion showed the young mother drinking and dancing allegedly during the same time frame that Casey told investigators she was searching for her daughter.

During Cindy's appearance on the "Today" show in October, she said the pictures were not relevant to the case:

Most of the pictures happened before June 16th.

On "Larry King Live" in December, Cindy told Larry King the pictures we used for promotion for Club Fusion:

Those are photos that they used to entice other people to come into that club. She would have gotten paid for that photo. So, in fact, she was working.

What do you think? Do you believe George and Cindy could be indicted for obstruction of justice or are they just spinning the media?
caylee anthony casey_anthony_more_photos.jpg
Caylee Sighting?

next: Wasted Youth: Girls Gone Wild
Jordan December 20, 2008, 8:37 AM

To be honest I would try to help one of my daughters , but not like this Im sure I would take them to police as soon as I had got mt head around how it had happened and then tried to get the police to get my daughter some proffesional help! Im sure its got to be a conflict of interest for the grandparents but I would want my grandchild to have a decent resting place thats the bit I dont undersatnd

Felecia December 20, 2008, 1:56 PM

Does anyone but me find it ironic that they attended a Missing Children fundraiser and in fact they did all they could to NOT allow the police to find their granddaughter, i.e. wrong hairbrush, smell is old pizza, etc. A Son who wouldn’t give fingerprints or DNA until he was court ordered to? What does HE half to hide? What a dysfunctional family. They should ALL be charged!!

Sam December 21, 2008, 1:20 AM

“Duh” is absolutely correct !! P think Cindy and Casey Anthony are both psychopaths. George needs to grow some testicles. They KNOW their own daughter,and KNOW what she is/was capable of. They KNEW all along. Detectives there have known all along what they are dealing with,and have done an extraordinary job.

Sam December 21, 2008, 1:21 AM

Devon December 21, 2008, 4:10 AM

I think Cindy and George Anthony, Know what there daughter did with Caylee, they just don’t want to let the Meadia know what happen to Caylee. I think Casey did wrong by hurting that little girl. I think she should stay in jail and they should get her for Murder. I have no kids but I have brought up lot of kids what mom would be in there right mind to kill little girl. If Casey did not want Caylee why didn’t she give her to her parents and let her parents bring Caylee up.

Lisa December 21, 2008, 7:42 PM

I am wondering where is the families of Cindy and George? No one has come forward to be with them. Are both parents dead and /or siblings dead?

You would think they would be with them in all this. But there hasn’t been one word of anything but the 4 of them, George, Cindy, Lee and Casey. Why?

Also, if the father of Caylee died in an accident it should be on record. Why aren’t the parents of this boy coming forward at all?

macey davis December 22, 2008, 11:36 AM

At first i was like it wasnt the mom but evrythin on tv like the missin bones behind her house and u no her car stinkin and on top of that she has been wantin to give her daughter up,and everyone who know’s her is sayin this isnt the casey we no so i think she may have a sickness and she reported this stuff a month later come on if u didnt do this u would be worried but if u did u wouldnt i mean im very confused bt hope we find out who did it poor Caylee i hope she RIP

pam December 22, 2008, 11:32 PM

i love how they say that the pictures were taken before and she was doing it to bring other people into the club… is she a celeb or something, why would people care if she was there. Those don’t look like profesional photos or anything. this whole family is full of liars and this whole case makes me sick. A three year old is dead and her mother is most like to blame. AND THAT MAKES ME SICK TO MY STOMACH.

red December 23, 2008, 3:25 PM

I agree partically with you all. But the Grandfather was honesty when he had to appear in court he told the truth. Cindy is lies just like her murder Daughter. who is nothin but a wh—-. they ought to let her die in slow death. for what she did to a beautiful little 2 yr. old. let her rot in hell

Meeps December 23, 2008, 3:27 PM

I do believe they should face some consequences for lying and hiding alot of truths about the case, the hairbrush, blaming poor Jesse Grund, and all the poor guy was doing was trying to love their psycho daughter and love Caylee and protect her, wash the pants and boots before the cops could get them, Cindy even took the $130.00 that they found in Casey’s purse the day she brought her home and she knew it was Amy’s money, that was a major tore up thing to do, she’s sneaky as her daughter, they know they did somethings or they wouldn’t ask for total immunity, if innocent they would have helped find Caylee on some of the searches, they stayed cool and relaxed while thousands of people looked for Caylee, not helping at all. They need to do some time for their wrong doings

Adele December 23, 2008, 4:45 PM

first of all, the little girl in the photo in the “sightings” photo that the Anthonys are saying may be Caylee — the little girl’s nose is too big — Caylee’s nose was very small and petite. The little girl in the photo is older than Caylee was when Caylee was murdered BEFORE her 3rd birthday. I don’t understand how people can even think that this little girl in the “sightings photo” could be Caylee — she may resemble an older Caylee but Caylee was murdered before she had a chance to be older — so, no, it would not be Caylee. A little common sense really goes a long way…………….

Adele December 23, 2008, 4:50 PM

I don’t understand how lying and defending their daughter in public is going to help bring justice for Caylee — a granddaughter they claimed to have loved so much. If my son or daughter murdered my grandchild, he/she will rot in jail before I defend him/her. George Anthony always knew the truth — in his heart — and for George to turn around and act like Cindy — this is very disappointing. Cindy has a lot of guilt and she really needs to get over that — if you really really love your granddaughter as you say you do, then do not defend her killer. There is no excuse for the lies and the cover ups. Because in the end, the truth is the truth — deal with it.

Adele December 23, 2008, 4:54 PM

you know what, Cindy & Anthony really should be charged with obstruction of justice — because if you KNOW that your child is innocent of murder then you do not have to lie and/or cover up anything!

mary December 24, 2008, 6:31 PM

cindy knew exactly what she was doing,
when she washed casey’s pants…she should be charged with tampering with
evidense…also all these made-up sightings and believe me they were made
by the attorney to try and convince the
jury that caylee was alive…knowing all
the time caylee was dead…yes they both
lied on the talk shows…..yes they both
should be charged……………….

NANCY December 26, 2008, 12:47 AM

WHEN MY CHILDREN WERE TEENS I TOLD THEM THAT IF THEY WERE ACCUSED OF A WRONG DOING AND I FELT THEY DIDN’T DO IT I WOULD FIGHT LIKE A TIGER FOR THEM BUT IF I FELT THEY WERE WRONG THEY WEREN’T GOING TO MAKE A FOOL OF ME. WHY DID THAT FAMILY TAKE SO LONG IN REPORTING CAYLEE MISSING??? THAT IN ITSELF SEEMS SO ODD AND OUTRAGEOUS. I BELIEVE THAT CASY IS A SELF CENTERED PARTY GIRL AND CAYLEE WAS SIMPLY IN THE WAY OF HER “FUN”. THAT FAMILY SHOULD TAKE A LONG LOOK AT THEMSELVES. THE GRANDPARENTS SHOULD BE CHARGED WITH SOMETHING THAT WOULD GIVE THEM JAIL TIME TO REFLECT ON THE PRECIOUS BABY THEY’VE LOST AND THE MONSTER OF A CHILD THEY RAISED. GIVE CAYLEE JUSTICE TO ALL INVOLVED WITH WRONG DOING IN HER MURDER.

Nelly December 26, 2008, 7:13 PM

From what I can tell Cindy has probably always been Casey’s example in lying and coniving others. The example Cindy has set has been one of being above the law and deserving of everything. She (Cindy) even said it was NOT against the law to lie to police. Um why not? Because you say so? I think the police should make an example of this bunch of idiots or there will be many more copycats following suit.

Pam December 29, 2008, 2:38 PM

I think when Cindy made the first call to the police (after the car was found) that she thought something had happened to BOTH the daughter and the grand-daughter. Then when she found Casey alive and no Caylee, she tried to haul her daughter in to the police station for stealing from her, then after George went to the car and smelled death and found a “garbage bag full of maggots”, they all started back-tracking because they knew it was Caylee that was in that trunk and Casey had killed her. (And where did the garbage bag that George found go??? In the woods, maybe?).
It has been nothing but lies and cover ups ever since.
It is a known fact that Cindy has pushed George to make more money. After Caylee came up missing they started all kinds of fund sites. Where is ALL of the money going? There was a fake sight set up which they were forced to remove. Did Cindy think she had finally hit it big? She sure had a hard time staying out from in front of the cameras and limelight. Was she ever paid to go on any of the talk shows?
Now that people are strongly pointing fingers at the grand-parents too, they are bringing in high dollar investigators of their own. How are they getting paid…seems as though Cindy’s get rich scheme may be dwindling fast. I may be wrong, but something just doesn’t seem kosher here.

KooKKy December 30, 2008, 8:32 PM

The Anthonys should not be charged unless there is a clear instance of obstruction of justice. These people must be in two worlds 24/7…one where they love their daughter and see her in prison, and the other where they realize that she killed their beloved grandchild. I say leave them alone unless they were involved.

KooKKy December 30, 2008, 8:35 PM

I don’t think the Anthonys should be charged unless there is a clear cut charge of obstruction of justice. They must be living in two worlds 24/7. In one, they are standing by their jailed daughter; in the other, they realize that it was she who killed their beloved grandchild. I say leave them alone unless they had something to do with the crime.

Elaine31347 December 31, 2008, 6:49 PM

There is a big difference between the odor from a dead body, and pizza left in a car for 12 days. With death, the putrefactive bacteria begins the task of breaking down the body, dissolving it into into a liquid, foul smelling substance, the like of which was found in the trunk of the car abandoned by Casey. Very hard to get rid of. Pizza is a cooked, baked, food. All bacteria has been baked out of it. Perhaps some mold, or airborne yeast, could have impacted the structure of the pizza, but it never would create the foul smelling liquid that was found in the car. I have personally left a slice of pizza in my car and it just dried out after a couple of days and had virtually no smell.
So, are the Anthonys guilty of obstruction of justice? I believe that the Anthonys were coached by the defense team on what to say to reporters to cast reasonable doubt.
That is ALL they have to do. Cast a reasonable doubt.
Who killed Caylee? The BABYSITTER of course!! And whoever found the remains HAD to be involved in the kidnapping!!
And the photos of Casey hoochie dancing at Club Fusion was just a PROMOTION of the club!! YaDaYaDaYaDa…
I wonder if Tony Lazzaro was involved in the disposal of the body. Have the authorites impounded his computer tower? After all, Casey lived with him for a month! Who knows what was Googled on his computer. Like, “How to dispose of a body without getting caught”?
Let’s hope the evidence is solid and the prosecutor knows how to handle it all at the trial.