Caylee Anthony's Body Identified

An announcement was made today in Florida.

candles
It's been confirmed that the skeletal remains found in Florida are that of Caylee Marie Anthony. Sheriff's officials delivered the news at a 2 PM press conference in Orlando. Word came after the FBI forensic lab in Virginia matched Caylee's DNA with bones found a quarter-mile from her grandparents' home. Officials say the cause of death was homicide.

Medical Examiner Dr. Jan Gervais said, "With regret, I am here to inform you that the skeletal remains found on Dec. 11 are those of the missing toddler Caylee Anthony."

Caylee's mother, Casey Anthony, was notified in jail, where she is awaiting trial on a murder charge stemming from the child's disappearance this summer. Her reaction to the announcement was not known. Orange County Jail spokesman Allen Moore said a psychologist would be available for Anthony if needed.

The toddler's grandparents -- George and Cindy Anthony -- learned the news at their home on Hopespring Drive. Their attorney, Brad Conway, said earlier Friday that the couple had remained hopeful that the remains were not Caylee's, but were realistic about the alternative.

Even though many of us anticipated this news, it's still heartbreaking to receive official confirmation that the life of little Caylee Anthony was tragically cut so short. Feel free to share your thoughts below.

next: Facebook is Against Breastfeeding
mariah December 19, 2008, 2:45 PM

Breaks my heart, why couldn’t the mom just hand the kid over to the grandparents or a safe haven? Then she could go party her life away. This makes me sick

Jenn December 19, 2008, 2:52 PM

I’ve followed this story from the beginning and I knew her body would be found. I hope they decide to put the death penalty back on the table. No child deserves to be hurt in any way. God Bless Little Caylee.

Marcia December 19, 2008, 2:59 PM

As the mom of a toddler, this story truly brings me to tears. I just can’t imagine how anyone could ever hurt a child, not to mention actually murder one. In my eyes, murder is not ok. Ever. Jenn is right, God bless Caylee and may justice let her rest in peace.

Marcia

Sharon Coryell December 19, 2008, 3:03 PM

I have been so engrossed with this case for a long time…and I agree with both comments from BOTH Mariah and Jenn.Sharon

Karen December 19, 2008, 3:03 PM

I was hoping the bones were not that of little Caylee Anthony, I knew in my heart they were. It’s just sickening to watch all of this unfold. I hope the person (Casey Anthony) has a special place in hell to burn for all time for what she has done to that baby.

Anonymous December 19, 2008, 3:52 PM

This is what happens when someone who is irresponsible has a child. The poor defenseless child has to suffer for the adults stupid choices in life. She should have given her up for adoption a birth. She was a Psycopath. Cindy Anthony talked her out of giving the child up for adoption up at birth. It shows you that the apple does not fall far from the tree. The whole family is nuts.

meekdageek December 19, 2008, 4:16 PM

okay a little odd that the guy taking a leak on the side of the road happened to notify the policy in august. Weird! How convenient. He calls in 3 times in august then all of a sudden needs to relieve himself at the same spot and woopsy a skull is found. RIIIIIGHT

Mari December 19, 2008, 6:02 PM

Caylee,

Rest in peace baby girl..

Mari and Family.. ^i^ ^i^ ^i^

IRENE December 19, 2008, 8:08 PM

I have followed this story since the beginning it is so sad…this little girls remains were found on my baby girls birthday…I honestly think things happen for a reason whatever drove casey or whoever to do this to this precious child felt corned with no other option not that it justifies what happened to her but maybe this story that has captured the world will save many other childrens lives…things you didn’t see before in our young sisters or cousins friends etc.. will help us offer more of a moral support for them I’m sure Cindy feels like she could have done more but we (the world) have
that option now to know
that we must be there for eachother saddly it cost this precious child that will forever be 2yrs old RIP Caylee I know your in heaven and have forgiven already whoever has done this to you

Irene Houston TX

Karen December 19, 2008, 8:47 PM

My prays go out to little Caylees family.At least we know that she is now finally home.Gods speed babygirl.

Amy December 20, 2008, 12:02 AM

Very sad. Now that we know that Caylee has passed I would pray that if Casey is guilty she would spare her family a long court hearing and tell all. It is sad all that they have had to suffer because of their love for Casey. Now I only hope she loves them enough to end all of this with the truth. Her attorney will try to keep her from doing so cause that want benifit him but maybe Casey will think of someone besides herself.

lyndaelp-aso December 20, 2008, 12:31 AM

Hail Casey,full of grace,the lord is with thee,blessed is the fruit of thy WOMB,caylee.
Hail Casey full of grace…

kristie  December 20, 2008, 11:51 AM

this is too bad i am the mother of 3 and i could even think how i would feel if this happened to me its hard to belive that a mother could kill her own child the grandparents surely had to know something was in error or at least that she was lying about something along the way they at least had to have a idea that she did something to her child this is the sickest thing that i have ever read about a mother doing to her child

noyfb December 20, 2008, 7:14 PM

I’m sure there will be a replacement kid in the years to come…just make a new one. people should stop having brats anyway, we the people end up caring for them in one way or another, well fare kiss my a..the world is comming to an end in 4 years anyway….YEA

Fran December 21, 2008, 1:56 AM

I heard that Leonard Padilla and others
are considering making a movie about
this tragic story and I pray there will
never be such a movie or a book about it. I hope everyone will allow the
family to grieve and mourn in peace &
let the precious child’s momory be the
story. I am the mother of 3 and now
have 3 grandchildren so my heart goes
out to this family. They all need our
support, even though we can see some of
their mistakes..we should never judge
them by their errors. God will judge
thm in His time.

Sally December 21, 2008, 7:30 PM

Casey is a narcistic sociopath who has no regard for human life. It speaks volumes that a mother would wrap duct tape around her toddler’s head, murder her, throw her rotting corpse in a garbage bag, keep it in the trunk for days and when the smell got unbearable toss her in a wooded area where the residents throw garbage and bury their pets. Casey will spend the rest of her life claiming her innocence and pretending to be the victim of a kidnapping nanny. She cares nothing of her family or anyone else but herself. Look at her ordering $350 worth of snacks on the day she is told her daughter’s body was found. Of course, there will be books written and movies made of this case. The books will be best sellers and the TV movies will get high ratings. Look how many journalists and bloggers are writing about it.

hollymacaroni December 21, 2008, 8:38 PM

This story brings me to tears. This mystery even topped no.6 in time magazine, i think. Casey is such an irresponsible mom. Even at this young age, i am forced to take care of my young siblings and never leave them. This is why you should go to parenting boot camps if you think your a bad mommy.

Merry Christmas and to Casey Anthony, Santa says you’re on his naughty list.

Nancy December 22, 2008, 11:02 AM

Casey deserves the “DEATH PENALTY”. There are so many women that cannot have children and to see such a precious child and for that monster to kill her is just unspeakable.

Karen December 22, 2008, 11:47 AM

Casey does have major issues. Her Mom smelled death in the car. It was only time before the body would show up. Whe could have given this child up for adoption. She wanted to be a party girl not a mom. She was not from what anything on her says grown up in any way. She was a liar whom kept lying and the story just kept unravling like a bad novel. I pray for this whole family and poor caylee. GOD be with them in this time.

momof1 December 22, 2008, 2:24 PM

This whole story is very sad. However, people keep overlooking the fact that if the bones they found weren’t Caylee’s… then some OTHER toddler would be dead. No matter what, finding the bones of a dead toddler is horrible!