Couple Gives Birth to 'Miracle' Black and White Twins, Again

bw270.jpg

The Sun: Black and white twins Hayleigh and Lauren Durrant proudly hold their new sisters Leah and Miya -- who incredibly are also twins with different colored skin.

Their mixed-race parents Dean Durrant and Alison Spooner repeated the miracle after a seven-year gap.

When the first set of twins arrived in 2001, the couple was astonished to see that Lauren took after her white mom, with blue eyes and red hair, while Hayleigh had black skin and hair like dad Dean.

Then this year Alison, 27, found she was expecting again -- and lightning struck twice.

She had twin girls again. And little Miya was born with dark skin like her dad and Leah is white like former recruitment consultant Alison.

"The girls just love Miya and Leah to bits. We didn't think it was even possible when we had Lauren and Hayleigh -- and it didn't cross our minds that it could happen again. But we are just delighted that it has," Dean, 33, of Fleet, Hants, said.

Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.

next: My Child Gets to Choose Her Own Name
Rugbymom December 31, 2008, 1:14 PM

What beautiful children. That is very unique, but I have never seen a biracial child that is not extraordinarilly beautiful, I think that is God’s way of telling us something!!!!

Leatherneck1775 December 31, 2008, 2:19 PM

Rugbymom
Sadly these bi-racial children begin life with an anchor around their necks.
Through no fault of their own, The parents have encountered some of these things i imagine. Untill society is color blind these children will bear a heavier burden than ‘other’ children.
That is the way it is.

Anonymous December 31, 2008, 2:44 PM

Leatherneck1775
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!

Rose December 31, 2008, 3:12 PM

Oh leatherneck, we all know what your trying to say, but it’s not the 50’s anymore! These children are beautiful and will only continue to grow more beautiful. They’ll have lots of friends and and a loving family to support them! Thinking like that only prevents you from seeing the bigger picture. And I believe that it will be the racist children with racist parents that will have the so-called “anchor” around their necks. Your comments only ruin this lovely story for the rest of us. Go blog somewhere else with the rest of the haters.

Infinity December 31, 2008, 4:59 PM

Love knows no color.

Those children are the result of their parent’s genetic heritage.

And they are beautiful.

Karol December 31, 2008, 5:53 PM

The children are adorable, but the difference in their complexions is not that unusual in the African American community. We are all of mixed heritage as a result of the slave trade, and many of us have white ancestors who’s genetic features can appear at any time. My husband and I..who both have black parents and brown skin…have 4 children all ranging from dark chocolate with black hair to caramel with blonde hair!

Forida Mom of Florida Boys December 31, 2008, 9:14 PM

My husband and I have 3 biracial grown boys,age 19,21,and 24. Sadly, Leatherneck is partly right, and the main reason is the way law enforcement singles out and harasses black boys way more than white boys. Unfortunately, most of them think along the lines of ignorant backwoods men like Leatherneck. I believe our kids are pioneers, and I believe the negative perception of them by so called Law Enforcement Officers will change someday soon.

Isabella January 1, 2009, 5:02 AM

It’s not hard to figure out…We all have the genetic coding to have different color skin, eyes, ahir, etc… God created us this way. Adam and Eve had the genetic coding to produce all the races that exist today. Racism is a lie. We are all blood relatives.

Anonymous January 1, 2009, 9:33 PM

That’s what happens when you mix up the races; half breeds.

Rose January 1, 2009, 10:56 PM

And theres nothing wrong with that! Infact, alot of them turn out alot prettier than any of us! I would love to have olive or milky-brown skin and light hair with beautiful eyes that stand out! Rather than my dark skin, dark hair, dark eyes. Or any caucasian’s light skin, light hair, light eyes. People need to realixe that if God didn’t want “half breeds” to be on this earth, he would never had given us the choice to breed with other races. Or bear their children. These children will not rejected by God by any means, so why cant other people just except them too?

Hazel January 1, 2009, 11:13 PM

Hey Anonymous,
Re: Half breeds..
I hope you’re not a woman, and I can see why you go under “anonymous”, because you’re embarrassed. But that’s ok. Your sad, racist breed will be dying out and dying off soon. In case you haven’t noticed, young Americans are more open to biracial relationships than ever before. Times have changed. Go crawl back under your rock.

tomboy January 3, 2009, 9:03 AM

Just like Karol said: such variations are unsurprising in the African-American community. My own skin tone is lighter than either of my parents’, but i’ve got features unique to my father’s family (eye shape, height— waaaay taller than Mom— weight/body type, etc.).
There is no “gene” for light skin; only a lack thereof gets passed on. Therefore, if one parent lacks both working copies of a particular melanin gene (there are 5 known colors x one copy from each grandparent), and the other passes his/her own working gene, the child will produce that color melanin. However, if a “dark-skinned” parent has one working & one non-working copy, and passes the non-working (while the other parent has no working copies), then the child will come out lighter than either because s/he cannot produce what s/he doesn’t have.
Oh, and Rose is ABSOLUTELY right: from a taxonomist’s standpoint, humans are no different than puppies: if two organisms can mate and produce FERTILE children (no, not like Mules, because they CANNOT reproduce), they are of the SAME SPECIES. Therefore, God meant for us to have such a choice. Ergo, Racism is like a poodle being prejudiced against a Maltese. Obviously, dogs really don’t give a hoot while in heat. How ridiculous are we humans for doing it (aside from cultural differences/religious insensitivity)?

Okay, okay, okay: after all that… the part I think is funny is how suddenly they’ve ended up with a house full of girls… Pink, fluffy stuff & Barbies everywhere… Ugggh!!

Amy January 5, 2009, 10:39 AM

It saddens me to read some of these posts. I would love to be of mixed race. The people that I know who are biracial have the best features from both races. I wonder if the stupid people who posted some of these comments spend a lot of time tanning trying to get some color, because I’m pretty sure most of the prejudiced comments came from a white person.
Which I hate because I’m white and I don’t want to be in the same category as them!
Anyways, they are beautiful girls. I would love to see if the new twins look exactly like the older twins when they get older.
~Amy

GOD January 5, 2009, 2:38 PM

Anonymous and leatherneck1775 are going to hell

carson January 5, 2009, 6:14 PM

leatherneck and anonymous you are both not educated. i have bi-racial children and yes things may be said but mind you not to my face children are beautiful no matter what race they are or where they come from. It’s people like you who make people like us want to string you up and bail you to hell. You’ll be better off there. satan has plenty of room for you. and by the way i’m a black woman with a white man. what do you think readers?

Madison January 6, 2009, 2:30 PM

I think it’s not surprising, and really sexy! If I were a white male I’d be completly attracted to black females. I think I’d be open to all races actually, theres nothing wrong with expanding your horizons. It gives you that much more of a chance to find true happiness. I think that (hopefully) in our future, more people will see things the way we do. We all live on this earth together, whats the point in seperating ourselves from others and confining us to just one race? It’s pointless to go through your whole life experiencing just a little bit of your surroundings. I am in it for the whole shibang! I am a white female, but my first love was a black man. Thats right, I said LOVE! And for all the leathernecks and anons out there- If God made us in his image and He obviously doesnt care if your black or white or hispanic or what have you, then whats makes you think it’s okay for you to judge based on race? We all look the same on the inside.

Amandla January 6, 2009, 4:59 PM

What a beautiful reminder that there is only one race—the human race! The distinctions we make based on lighter or darker skin color (it’s all the SAME pigment)are made by people not nature.

The experience of race is real since many people believe it is a real thing—but the ideas of race are constructions—biologically there is only a human race which even includes Leatherneck and Anonymous!

What? January 6, 2009, 5:08 PM

You can’t inherit the “best features from both races,” we are all the SAME RACE—do you actually believe that humans are not the same species? If you think certain traits only belong to people with the same skin tone, you need glasses, and you need to realize that we define race by what we have been taught—not by any evidence.

I can’t believe it is 2009 and people are talking about “half breeds” and different “races.”

Anyone who sees me would categorize me as “white” but in fact I have ancestors who were classified as “black.” Many people in the US are not the “race” that they think they are.

Sharmay Beals January 21, 2009, 4:35 PM

To Dean and Alison congratulations and thank God for your beautiful daughters. They are unique and special, sometime things happen that we don’t have answers for. Your DAUGHTER’S are miracles from God embrace them and give them all the love they need. May God bless you and your family.

Marcus April 3, 2009, 1:07 AM

I saw this thread and wanted to say something to the few racists who try to weasel their way into an otherwise happy and intelligent conversation; get a life and while you’re at it a clue. I am mixed; black and white, and through the years I have come to learn something. What people say “anonymously” or behind your back, they never say to your face. You’re a dying breed, that is grasping for survival and no one’s lending you a hand. I have been mistaken for full White, Latin, Mediterranean, and even Asian. I am proud of where I come from and have never denied my background. I am not black and I am not white, I am mixed. I am HUMAN. For any mothers out there, the best thing you can do for your children is what my mother did for me. Don’t over protect them from the real world’s hate, don’t push them more towards one side of their ethnic background (in essence, don’t push them to choose a side.), and always talk to them about what they hear from people around them. You’d be surprised what they neglect to share unless asked.

-Marcus