Doctor Sued for Intentionally Making Delivery Painful

badbirth270.jpg

A woman filed a civil suit against a doctor who she claims made her delivery excruciating on purpose.

Catherine Skol, mother of five children, said that her usual doctor was out of town when she went into labor and that Dr. Scott Pierce stepped in...about four hours later!

The lawsuit claims that Pierce reprimanded Skol for not calling before she came and told her that there wasn't enough time to administer pain medication.

Pierce allegedly told the nurse that Skol was getting what she deserved and that "sometimes pain is the best teacher."

Skol says that she was given an extremely painful vaginal exam during a contraction and that the doctor instructed her to push before she was fully dilated.

"Shut up, close your mouth, and push," Pierce reportedly said when he was questioned by Skol or his staff.

The doctor is also accused of giving her unnecessary stitches after the birth, using an extra large needle.

The incident is still under investigation.

Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.

next: Biggest Loser Winner Drops 110 Pounds
Anonymous December 17, 2008, 5:10 PM

Don’t be a wuss. I went thru 12 hours without any meds.

Anonymous December 17, 2008, 5:18 PM

Yeh I am sure the doctor said, hey let me make this extremely painful because you didn’t call! Newsflash….childbirth IS painful.

Trisha December 17, 2008, 5:26 PM

Did you not see she was a mother of 5, I am sure she knows it can be painful. But waiting for the doctor to give the okay after 4 hours is a little fishy. Give the girl some credit. No wonder you are both posting annonymously.

kitrona December 17, 2008, 8:13 PM

Some people have different pain tolerances, Anon #1. Congratulations for going 12 hours without meds, but that doesn’t invalidate this lady’s pain because YOU could deal with it.

And doctors can be extremely antagonistic, Anon #2. They’re people too, with all the good AND bad that entails. My ob/gyn refused to give me an IUD after I had my son, based on very old information, and told me that I could go to someone else “but don’t come crying to me when you get an infection.” I did go to someone else, and I haven’t had any infections due to the IUD in the year+ that I’ve had it.

I’m not sure what to believe in this story, but a four hour wait is ridiculous. Why was the doctor on-call so late? And telling a woman in labor to “shut up and push” is extremely disrespectful. The needle claim sounds sketchy; even with pain meds I felt the needle, but it’s possible. (There goes the personal pain tolerance thing again.) But I never had to call before I went to the hospital with my son; that’s why they have an emergency department. Sounds to me like the guy was snotty because whatever activity he was participating in (that took 4 hours to get out of) was interrupted by this woman giving birth. So sorry, doc, women don’t have any control over the process; I would’ve thought you’d have learned that in med school.

TJ December 17, 2008, 8:17 PM

well, according to the source article, she went in around 4am, so I guess it doesn’t surprise me if it took a while for the OB to get in. Most OBs I know of or have worked with don’t rush to the hospital for a woman having labor unless there are complications expected. They’re in a hospital and women have been doing this forever - what’s the big?

It’s too bad she didn’t get pain meds if she was looking for being numb during birth. But many doctors don’t require their presence to administer that.

Too bad she had an uncomfortable labor. Yes, it’s hard work. Seems like the doc was not a people person or being very sympathetic - that’s too bad but not unusual. My guess is that the gal just took a big dislike to the doctor and it was mutual. Lawsuits should be for negligence not because of something like this. Things like this clog up our legal system and drive up costs.

Anonymous December 17, 2008, 8:51 PM

I think we’re missing the point here. Yes, childbirth is painful. But what gives the doctor the right to degrade the patient by making such a smart-a** comment? Yes, it does seem common for doctors to feel they are “above” the patient and to talk down to them, but as long as patients sit back and take it they will dish it out. I think it’s time we all take a stand against this type of behavior. It should not be tolerated. As a nurse and patient I have seen doctors who act very similar and even worse.

Ann December 17, 2008, 8:56 PM

Childbirth is painful, yes. And I believe there probably wasn’t enough time to administer the pain medication. I’ve seen that happen before. But there is no excuse for the doctor telling her to shut up and push, especially when she wasn’t at that stage yet. However, what disgusts me the most is the accusation that he gave her unnecessary stitches with an extra large needle. That’s just sadistic.

And one final thought. Shame on you women who are gangin up on this woman and calling her a woos, sissy, etc. We should be supporting each other, not trashing each other.

labortrials December 17, 2008, 8:57 PM

Sounds like negligence on the part of the on call doc. I’m not sure she can “prove” that he made it more painful for her. It’s interesting that in a day and age when doctors try to scare women about homebirth (oh, but what if you had an emergency, what if you ruptured, what if the cord was compressed) and have the gall to show up after FOUR HOURS when on call. A true emergency can happen within minutes. All this tells me is that which the doctors know but don’t want to admit - in most “cases,” childbirth is normal and not an emergency situation. Pain does NOT equal emergency. Childbirth does NOT equal hospital.

marixajoy December 17, 2008, 9:41 PM

Child Birth is painful, but the needle was too big for a small stitch(if the baby was small) but if the baby was big, a big needle is needed. But that depends to the doctor.

And childbirth is not an emergency but a child with a high fever is.

In fact, she can give birth at home

Gloria December 17, 2008, 9:58 PM

Interesting. I used to baby-sit for a female ObGyn, and she told me she was totally devoid of empathy for her patients until she herself gave birth. Obviously this doctor in question, being a male, may never come to enlightenment with regards to this process. My personal opinion of him is that he is a jerk, and I hope the wronged party wins her lawsuit.

beth December 17, 2008, 10:10 PM

My epidural failed right before the beginning of my emergency c-section. I think I’d rather deliver vaginally without an epidural than have my uterus yanked out without one.

Shelly December 18, 2008, 1:22 AM

I dealt with a rude obgyn more than once..they are out there,

N December 18, 2008, 2:29 AM

Why are so many taking the doctors side, some are just A-holes. The doctor that was originally suppose to deliver my baby was such a jerk he tried to kick us out of the hospital, because he felt we didn’t want to do it his way, when really we were just trying to ask questions.