Fuggetaboutit Stomach Flu

My kid, my husband, my mother-in-law and my best friends' entire family all have been bitten with a 24-hour bug that is spreading through New Jersey like ketchup on a Taylor ham egg and cheese. I'm hoping I can avoid getting it, but I've been told, "Fuggetaboutit -- it's a guarantee." I'm hoping that's just some classic Jersey hyperbole.

woman vomiting

Momlogic's Annie: It all began a few days before Christmas when my friend told me her daughter was on the tail end of a 24-hour stomach virus. "Can she come over for a playdate?" My kid was bored, we figured the bug was over anyway and away they played. On Christmas day my friend sat down at her mother-in-laws for her manicotti first course (they pronounce it "manigot!"). She took one bite and had to cover her mouth so she could make it to the bathroom in time. Her husband felt sorry for her, but enjoyed his delicious meal -- thankful that he had beaten it. But, the next day, he was hit and hit hard. His came out of both ends.

About three days later, we took our daughter to a diner and as she was fussing around and the waitress was ignoring us, all of a sudden she vomited all over the booth.

Naively assuming this had run its course about 24 hours later, our whole family went out to a delicious Spanish restaurant in Newark's Ironbound neighborhood where you can order appetizers like anchovies in pickle sauce. When my husband didn't order anything, I was suspicious. I should be a detective because when we finally got home he ran straight for that toilet.

My mother-in-law now has it. She had to call in to work. My husband and my baby are sleeping in a smelly room upstairs. I sit here and wonder, "Am I one of the lucky few?" Only time and a few caprese sandwiches will tell.

Obviously, our plans to ring in 2009 have changed. We'll stay in, watch some bad TV and some of us will puke. There is one thing I can guarantee when the clock strikes midnight, we'll all proudly (and this year appropriately) exclaim, "Happy F'in New Year!"

next: Why Aren't My Kids Afraid of Me?
Pop December 31, 2008, 12:18 PM

We had 8 folks staying in one house in Aurora, CO, over Christmas — 3 residents [one a 2 month old infant] and 5 travelers from 3 different states. The Louisiana travelers came down with it on Christmas day. The Virginia traveler came down with it on the 27th. One resident got sick the same day. One traveler from Texas left on the 27th and hasn’t gotten sick, the other traveler from Texas left on the 28th and hasn’t gotten sick. The other adult resident got sick on the 29th. That’s 5 out of 8 sick so far. 4 of the 5 had to go to the emergency room [one went twice] to counter the dehydration that goes with spewing at both ends.

Mark December 31, 2008, 12:28 PM

We’ve got the same thing in upstate New York. 12 year old niece had it on Christmas day, two other nephews the day after Christmas, Sister the next, brother after that, Grandma on the 29th, another brother and I on the 30th.

Although uncomfortable, at least it is short in duration. Most of ours lasted 12 to 18 hours.

ody December 31, 2008, 4:46 PM

Is this info for the stomach virus?

alicia December 31, 2008, 7:57 PM

we’ve got it in Florida!

bluefishga January 1, 2009, 1:01 AM

I northern cali we are on the second round in 2 weeks… each person throws up the day after the one before…it’s awful..my extended family has gotten it also.

Cami January 1, 2009, 1:09 AM

Oh I hope it doesn’t spread to NYC. I remember last year’s virus.

Shelly  January 1, 2009, 2:23 PM

I live in PA and our friends from Los Angeles were just in town for a visit over Christmas. Right before our friends came to PA they all had a stomach virus - well they brought it with them. Within 24 hours of their visit, my 3 year old daughter got it and it has continued to spread to the rest of my household!

Maggie January 2, 2009, 10:40 PM

I was in Louisiana for Christmas and then flew to Chicago to ring in the New Year with my boyfriend who was also in Louisiana with me. I came down with it New Years Eve and started feeling better today. He came down with it in the middle of last night and has been in bed all day. I just talked to my brother in law in Texas, and he has it too. He was also in Louisiana with us. It’s pretty miserable. - Maggie

Mich January 6, 2009, 10:36 PM

I had this vile bug last year and it was awful. Woke up out of a sound sleep and made it to the toilet just in time - Projectile puking in the tub while sharp forces of pure water came out of my butt. NOT fun. Must have hurled at least 8 times that morning - well FF to this year. Today I went to visit my Mom in the alzheimers center she lives in. Half the place has this same bug! I put on a mask and went to check on my Mother. She wasn’t sick yet but I know she will be. Got back home 5 hours ago and I’m not feeling too good right now. Praying I don’t get it.

Chris February 20, 2009, 11:14 AM

I happened across this and have to chime in, it is 11:12am on Friday here in NC and I sit in front of this computer because laying down in bed is no better. Fought off heaving all night but rolled around left to right with no relief in sight (whining for my mother) - who incidentally lives about 1200 miles away and did I mention I’m in my 40’S? It’s bad, skin is actually crawling, thought I’d escaped it after everyone else battled it last week. More handwashing and eating in for us!
Be well all!