I Don't Want to Put Up a Christmas Tree

I don't know why, but this year I really, really don't want to put up a Christmas tree. It sounds like a major pain in the butt. Anybody with me?

christmas tree

Momlogic's Julie: Normally, I love Christmas. But this year, I'm just not in the freaking mood. Maybe it's the fact that I hear about layoffs every time I turn on the TV or read a newspaper, but I'm just not in the spirit at all.

In fact, even though we're only two weeks out, I haven't put up a single decoration yet. I haven't even gone into the attic to dig out the tree and ornaments. Just thinking about it makes me tired. Lugging down the holiday crap. Taking it all out of boxes. Putting up the tree. Decorating it. Then just having to take it all down weeks later and box it back up again. I'd love to skip the whole thing.

But I really don't think skipping it is an option, because I have two kids. I always had a Christmas tree growing up ... so shouldn't they? To not put up a Christmas tree would be denying them something important, I'm afraid. And that wouldn't be fair to them.

So even though I'd LOVE to blow off the tree decorating, I won't. Because doing so would mean I'm a bad mom ... wouldn't it? What do you think?

next: Private Eyes ... Are Watching Donny Deutsch
Tanya December 11, 2008, 10:15 AM

How old are your kids?

Last year, when my son was only about two months old, I was so not in the mood for a Christmas tree. I couldn’t fathom taking care of it, cleaning up after it, nevermind - decorating it. So, instead, we just got a miniature, fake tree and put up a few stockings. It was enough to feel like I had a little Christmas spirit, but wasn’t much work.Of course, my son wasn’t old enough to notice or care. This year we do have the tree and all of the decorations. My Christmas spirit is back (though we’ve arranged not exchange gifts with half of our family) and while my son is about 14 months old and doesn’t really get it still, I’m having a blast singing Christmas songs to him.

Anyhow, I don’t think you’d be a bad mom for not putting up the tree. There’s other ways to have the “Christmas spirit” without having the tree.

Renee December 11, 2008, 11:52 AM

I put mine up last week in spite of myself. I couldn’t let my 1 and 3 year olds not have one!

geen December 11, 2008, 12:18 PM

We got a fake, pre-lit tree for 35 bucks at wal mart. Easy to put up, no mess. Oh, and the wonderful evergreen scent? A candle! hehehe

Jessica December 11, 2008, 2:26 PM

Did do one last year (used traveling over the actual holiday week as the “reason”) and my kids were 3 and 5. They did just fine. Would they have liked to have had a tree? Sure. But did they enjoy the heck out of the season without one? Yes.

That being said, we don’t have ours yet this year. They want one. We’ll likely get one. But time will tell. Here’s the thing; the season can be awesome without one.

Theresa December 11, 2008, 4:10 PM

If my memory serves me, Christmas is about what you can do for others…not thinking about yourself. Put your tree up with a smile on your face for your kids. Times of recession are not times to lose your spirit… it’s a time to try to raise the spirits of others and that starts with your own family.

Michelle December 11, 2008, 7:35 PM

This year we’re probably not putting up
a Christmas tree. My sister passed away
this year from cancer. I’m not really
in the mood but will celebrate Christmas
with my children. I don’t want my children to suffer just because I’m
mourning. Besides, my children are adults and they understand how I feel.

Jane Currie December 11, 2008, 7:53 PM

We decided not to put up a big tree this year either - let alone all the other “stuff”. No one is in a bad mood or down in the dumps over anything - it’s just that it feels excessive for some reason. We are not hurting from the ‘economic crisis”, but we are looking forward to Christmas break as just that - a break. I got a artificial 2 foot tall table-top tree from Wal-Mart when I went grocery shopping last week. It came with cheesy-cheap decorations on it, but it’s so very cute & we have it on a little table next to the TV. Everyone can see it, presents can go near it, all is good….and more importantly…….no one here is stressed out about not putting up the “Big Tree” because Christmas will still happen - whether you put un-due stress on yourself & your family to “keep up with tradition”. One poster said that Christmas is for what you can do for others -not thinking only of yourself. Well my thoughts on that are - you don’t have to have a big tree & all the trimmings for it to be Christmas & not having all the decorations out won’t automatically lower the spirits of others. In fact, sitting around laughing & talking & joshing with the family with a little Charlie Brown tree (while watching A Charlie Brown Christmas) has been the BEST Christmas EVER. I know - we did that just this past weekend & everyone here is still giggling, relaxed, in good spirits & have taken such a liking to that scrawny little tree I bought at Wal-Mart that everyone has since contributed to sprucing it up with their own personal touches! We haven’t laughed so much or enjoyed each others company in the longest like we have as a family this past week. Don’t fool yourself into thinking a Christmas without all the trimmings will somehow scar you or your kids for life. I think for my family - this just may very well be - our best Christmas ever! Jane :)

Jane Currie December 11, 2008, 8:15 PM

JMM December 11, 2008, 9:39 PM

it IS a big pain in the butt. We forced ourselves to do it and the kids are excited to turn the lights on every night. So we know we did the right thing for them… but I didn’t love doing it.

ak mom December 12, 2008, 11:19 PM

I have the news blues this year too. In order to snap out of it I had to stop watching the news… ok well mot entirely but at least I don’t have the news on 24/7