Jon & Kate: Kids "Don't Know Any Different"

Kate Gosselin of "Jon & Kate Plus 8" has faced criticism for putting her kids in the spotlight. But she says they've been filming since they were 15 months old, so this is their normal. But is that okay?

Jon and Kate Gosselin

The blonde matriarch of the Gosselin family talked to Star at P&G's brandSVER Live! event. Here's what she had to say:

On what the kids watch on TV: "They're Disney kids. And to be honest, our show is their favorite thing. They ask to watch it all the time. It's interesting. It's like them watching their memories."

About whether their family is feeling the economic crunch: "We all have, but I have always cut coupons. I've always looked at the sale fliers and I've always planned my meals ahead of time. You know, long before gas prices went up and they were saying 'group your errands,' we were already doing that out of necessity."

On whether or not the kids understand that they're celebrities: "They don't understand it. To them, it's their normal. They've been filming since they were 15 months old and they don't know any different. And I've taught them -- and at 4 they understand -- that if people are taking pictures, and it bothers you, just say, 'No, thank you' and turn your back."

Do you think Kate's great ... or someone you love to hate?

next: Is an Au Pair Right for Your Family?
Vicki Chrzanowski December 15, 2008, 9:26 PM

I think it’s great what Kate is doing….she and Jon control what the public sees and allows her to stay at home with her children. Their children are allow the best..Disney, Hawaii, Florida, the Carolina’s on the 4th of July. The only people who are upset are those who have green eyes.

Jenny December 15, 2008, 10:03 PM

I cant speak for others, my hope is that they are doing what they feel is truly best for their children. If it were me, I wouldnt do it but thats just me.

Sara December 16, 2008, 10:00 AM

I think it’s great. If they didn’t have this show it would probably be our tax dollars supporting such a large family!! This show gives them a way to support their large family and the kids sure seem to love it! They are wonderful parents and the kids are great and happy children.

Ashley December 16, 2008, 10:12 AM

I think it’s great what they are doing. I love the show and I hope they continue to do it. I would love to be able to watch the kids as they grow and I think Kate is a wonderful mom, very inspiring.

Barb December 16, 2008, 11:57 AM

Yes, this is a GREAT opportunity for any family, and those who say they don’t agree with the way they are raised, its so obvious that they are just jealous. These kids have more morals and know how to behave well, not like some mothers who has one child screaming in a store that can’t seem to control her own child…and kate CAN do it with 8!! more power to her, If I could have, I would have had 10 children myself…its all about knowing how to raise them!! Whats right for them may not be for someone else. so for all you haters, “TO EACH THEIR OWN” who says YOUR way is the right way??

nicole December 16, 2008, 11:57 AM

I agree, what they are doing is what they feel is best for their family. Their kids deserve all the opportunities the rest of our children get, and without the show I just don’t see how that would ever be possible. No single income family with 8 children could ever dream of things like Disneyland or Hawaii. They are a great family and it’s been a joy watching them grow! Way to go John & Kate! Plus I’ve learned so many techniques from Kate on fun things to do with my 1.5 yr old.

Melinda December 16, 2008, 1:57 PM

Doing the show affords that family so many more opportunities they would not have otherwise. While they are comfortable with it, more power to them. Many people, myself included, feel empowered in our own lives seeing Jon and Kate handle all of their lives obstacles with so many dependents. If they can do it with 8 kids I can do it with 2.

agvance January 30, 2009, 1:55 AM

I have such respect for John after watching him let the camera roll when he prayed for Kate before she went into surgery for her stomach skin reduction. It takes a real man to stand up for his belief in that way, and he will be a great roll model for their children. He is a terific dad, as well as Kate is blessed with so many wonderful atributes.

rainey February 8, 2009, 8:57 PM

Ecch!!!!!! they are pimping their litter for CASH you idiots…this is not reality tv, she got a new mansion, cleaning help. she does not work, only whines, just like her kids do…what does she have to whine about, i guessthe fact that the show is over when the brats are in school next year, then maybe they will have to get… A JOB!!!!!!!!! She is so nasty and arrogant, what did she do-get IVF, so what! She pretends they need to cut coupons!! How disingenuous!!!!

Heather February 12, 2009, 2:07 AM

Yes, I’m sure being on TLC they make a whole bundle of cash. They are not “pimping” out their litter. She does work. What are you one of those freaks who thinks that being a stay at home mom isn’t work? It is work. The kids are pretty well behaved, they are kids, and they act like it. I think Kate can be a little silly at times (like clean clothes obsessed) but her family is on TV, she wants them to look their best. How is this show any different than fictitious show that has child actors?

Brandi February 17, 2009, 9:13 AM

Both John AND Kate are amazing! Keep up the great work!

Sandy Fisher March 13, 2009, 3:58 AM

Why not rename the show :
Jon & Kate Plus Eight = Marriage Counseling.

It will be even more of a hit. Who isn’t a parent of even 2 children who’s not under a lot of strain in their marriage after staying home all day..not to meantion with 8 children.

Maybe the Octumom will even watch, keeping in mind her 14 children….or will she have time?

Anyone with me on this?