Mom Lost 56 Pounds on Wii Boxing

She shares her story with momlogic.

When mom Donna Schwartz Mills tipped the scales at 184 pounds, she knew she had to do something about it. Fast. But, as a busy working mom, she just didn't have time to go to the gym. So she tried her daughter's Wii Boxing video game ... and lost 56 pounds!

Momlogic met up with Donna at Whole Foods in Pasadena as she participated in a Nintendo cooking competition. The event, hosted by David Ruprecht of Supermarket Sweep, challenged the contestants to find the ingredients and cook a meal all with the help of the new "Personal Trainer: Cooking" for Nintendo DS game. When the competition was over, we asked Donna why she credits Wii Boxing with helping her get fit.

momlogic: What was the moment that you decided to lose weight and getting healthy?

Donna Schwartz Mills: A friend of mine, who was my age, had a stroke. She has always been very healthy. She is a runner. She took care of herself. I thought, this woman should not be having a stroke, I'm the one who should be having the stroke. That was the impetus.

ml: What made you want to lose weight through Wii?

Donna: I ended up signing up for a weight loss clinic. The years of yo-yo dieting weren't doing any good. I knew I had to get serious.They were telling me to exercise. Basically I was trying to avoid going to the gym. Every day, they would ask me, 'What activity have you done today?' And I hadn't done anything, so I fired up my daughter's Wii and tried boxing. I did that for a couple weeks and it helped motivate me. It got me moving and I started going to the gym. It got me inspired. And any time I couldn't get to the gym, I would do at least fifteen minutes on the Wii.

ml: What other exercise did you try that didn't work?

Donna: Walking uphill, in the smog, in the middle of July in the heat ... that wasn't fun. I need air conditioning!

ml: Had your weight gone up since you gave birth to your daughter?

Donna: Having a child at forty and then trying to lose the weight was hard. The weight gain was gradual. Before I knew it, I weighed 184 pounds!

ml: Would you recommend Wii Boxing and Wii Fit to other moms?

Donna: Yes, I would. Wii Boxing is fun. It can get you moving. When my trainer went on vacation, I worked out with Wii Fit and did lunges and other exercises. I thought, 'Hey, this is working my glutes.' And I like being able to chose my trainer on the Wii Fit.

ml: Do you play Wii with your daughter?

Donna: No, she beats me. Mostly I play when no one is around to make fun of me. My daughter is so much better than me at everything. She is a competitive gymnast. She has great balance, grace, poise, stamina...

ml: What is your advice to other moms who want to get fit?

Donna: Trial and error. See what works for you. If it is something you don't like, you are not going to stick with it. Also what worked for you in your 20s might not work for you in your 40s. Give yourself permission to try new things. You never know what's going to happen. If you told me two years ago that I was going to lose 56 pounds and be featured in People magazine, I never would have believed you. Yet, here I am.

Do you use your kid's Wii for workouts? Comment below.

next: Yahoo! Releases Top 10 Search Results for 2008
減肥 December 1, 2008, 10:15 PM

we can try

Kris December 2, 2008, 9:42 AM

I got my Wii specifically for losing weight. For Mother’s Day, I even got myself Wii Fit and thanked my hubby & kids for it!

Congratulations to Donna! Way to go!!

dawn December 2, 2008, 3:08 PM

that is great my stepdaughter has one i think i’ll try it out for myself :)

SG December 2, 2008, 8:46 PM

Congratulations Donna!!! You have inspired me to start working out again on the Wii fit. I started & was doing good at one point but got lazy. I am going to start again.
Thank you!!

Donna K. December 3, 2008, 5:10 PM

I bought myself the Wii system and Wii Fit for Christmas. As soon as it arrives, I’m going to get started.

Debra A Anderson December 7, 2008, 10:03 AM

Good job Donna, I am inspired with your story. We cannot afford to buy a wii fit, but I keep trying to win one. Thanks for the inspiration!!

Carol Donnermeyer December 12, 2008, 2:12 PM

Great Job

Millie Jefferies December 12, 2008, 4:29 PM

That sure is what I want a wii for Christmas for! Economically we can’t afford it but 1st chance I get I hope to prove that will work for me too!!!

Brittany January 13, 2009, 4:30 PM

After having my third child, we got the wii and wii fit for my birthday and christmas and I lost 40 lbs!! I now have the Jillian Michaels game also, it is much more challenging, My muscles were so sore I couldn’t walk for five days after playing!
Love It!!

Vicki January 15, 2009, 2:44 PM

I love this story!
I’ve been disabled with a neck injury for over 4 yrs - gaining over 50# (((OMG))) This is a workout I could do at home in the privacy of my own LR and at my own pace. At 48 yr, I’m seriously worried about heart attack, stroke and blockage.
Those Wii consoles and games are too expensive for me - are there any less costly alternatives?

Miriom November 7, 2009, 9:53 PM

I have been using Wii boxing as my workout plan for the past 2 months. It was a great change of pace from the gym (you’ve got to change it up). I have been losing inches like crazy. I love it. It keeps the heart pumping. I have a goal of 45 more pounds, and I whink the Wii and I can do it.

Erica December 30, 2009, 1:13 PM

I love using the wii. My husband and I bought it for the kids for Christmas. I don’t exercise that much because I have Fibromyalgia. When I stepped on the scales last week and saw that my 5’2” frame was now 150 lbs I was devastated. I know that I need to exercise more but it’s hard to do when you’re in pain all the time.
The first night I used the wii I had so much fun! The next morning, however, I woke to excruciating pain. Since then, I’ve learned to limit myself when using the wii. It’s only been 5 days since we’ve been using the wii but, I’ve lost 2 lbs already. I have fun doing it so I am more apt to stick with it!

alloleporlemy-tool January 20, 2010, 12:20 PM

lart mikid

Online Banking Saftey October 18, 2010, 1:45 AM

So not really on the same topic as your post, but I found this today and I just can’t resist sharing. Mrs. Agathe’s dishwasher quit working so she called a repairman. Since she had to go to work the next day, she told him, “I’ll leave the key under the mat. Fix the dishwasher, leave the bill on the counter, and I’ll mail you the check. Oh, and by the way…don’t worry about my Doberman. He won’t bother you. But, whatever you do, do NOT under ANY circumstances talk to my parrot!” When the repairman arrived at Mrs. Agathe’s apartment the next day, he discovered the biggest and meanest looking Doberman he had ever seen. But just as she had said, the dog simply laid there on the carpet, watching the repairman go about his business. However, the whole time the parrot drove him nuts with his incessant cursing, yelling and name-calling. Finally the repairman couldn’t contain himself any longer and yelled, “Shut up, you stupid ugly bird!” To which the parrot replied, “Get him, Spike!”

sniper games October 24, 2010, 7:56 PM

Dude! This blog is amazing.

Steven Presnal October 25, 2010, 4:41 AM

Simply needed to point out I truly respect your work on this blog site and the high quality posts you make. These type of post are usually precisely what keeps me personally going through the day time. I discovered this post right after a excellent buddy of my very own advised it to me. I perform a little blogging personally and I am always pleased to see others adding quality info towards online community. I most certainly will certainly be following and now have book-marked your web blog to my twitter account for others to see.

Garrett Fridman October 26, 2010, 1:52 PM

My partner and I really enjoyed reading this blog post, I was just wanting to know do you ever trade featured articles or blog posts? I’m continuously searching for somebody to make trades with and merely thought I might ask.

Lyda Levenson October 26, 2010, 4:07 PM

It is good judgment on my part.

Kia Stahl October 27, 2010, 9:53 AM

I was just studying this post it is extremely well written, I am exploring through the internet trying to find out exactly how to do this weblog thing and your site is simply extremely professional.

Marcela Takaoka October 29, 2010, 11:12 PM

Hello,guys,your blog is really great! I like it.