Mom Says Goodbye to Caylee Anthony

Momlogic's Andrea: It doesn't seem possible. I watched. I waited. We all did. Maybe one of the sightings in Florida really was Caylee. Maybe, just maybe, Casey Anthony isn't lying and Caylee is in the care of her Nanny Zanni. It couldn't be that she's really gone. Not Caylee.

Caylee Anthony

But D.N.A. doesn't lie. Even if we can will our mind to ignore the obvious truths.

This story of Caylee Anthony, which I have been following closely for momlogic, has had an enormous impact on me. I have a daughter, the same age as Caylee. People often remark how much they look alike (but don't all little girls resemble each other -- all little kids for that matter?). They all love to play, to look at picture books, to mug for the camera. Caylee touched so many because she was "every toddler."

And now she's no longer with us

It took a while for it to sink in. The announcement was made last week, her little body identified. Yet, when I look over at my daughter happily clutching her doll -- the one so similar to the one Caylee holds in her car seat -- I want to believe she's still here. Still laughing, smiling and delighting her doting grandparents. The hardest thing to bear, in all the pictures of her we've seen on the endless news coverage, Caylee looks like a little girl loved. At least for a time.

Our instincts to protect children couldn't save Caylee. We can only watch the horrific story unfold and look into Casey Anthony's cold eyes and wonder.

It's now time to say goodbye to Caylee -- and to hold our own children tighter than ever.

next: Barack In His Bathing Suit: He's Hot!
LindaLane December 23, 2008, 11:58 PM

I remember when one of my three-young- children went missing, for about 2 hours. I was panic-stricken. I was on the phone, frantically searching for my son, calling everyone I knew to see if anyone knew where he was. It turned out that the babysitter had taken my sons out to Thrifty for an ice cream. Having grown up in Chicago proper, I was used to “independence”, but when it came to my children, I was a nut-case. My point is that it is not normal for a loving mom to show no “affect” when her child is missing. The grandparents, Cindy and George, adored their granddaughter, but Casey had issues with motherhood at such a young age.Unfortunately, a beautiful little girl lost her life in the mom’s struggle for independence. God bless you Sweet Caylee Marie Anthony, and God bless the entire family as well.

Dolly Yeakley December 24, 2008, 12:16 AM

I cant understand what causes the parents
to harm there child
im so glad we have a loving fathers who
care and wrap his arms around all baby,
may little Caylee recieve all the love
that she never got from her mother
god loves her

Dolly yeakley

Me December 24, 2008, 12:18 AM

The mother (Casey Anthony) has made no request to be at her own daughters viewing due to the fact that she can’t face her own demons…..Vengenence is mine said the Lord..Caylee smiles down at you mom because she’s at peace….something you will never feel……You’ve got a front row seat in hell just waiting for you…

Doneta December 24, 2008, 12:31 AM

As a grandmother of a little girl I have been deeply disturbed by Caylee’s tragic death. I’m sure the circus of lawyers and excuses will soon begin, but a beautiful little child was stuffed in a trash bag and dumped like a bag of garbage in the woods. I can’t imagine how her grandparents must feel. They are trapped in a nightmare beyond nightmare’s. Not only have they lost their granddaughter, they have lost what they knew as their daughter and in turn have been given a life sentence of knowing they raised a person who would casually end a life of an innocent child to concentrate on her own.

Jill from Western Australia December 24, 2008, 1:22 AM

Casey has buried Caylee once {after she killed her}..she doesn’t deserve to be at any funerals or memorials. I begrudge her Christmas dinner..Caylee isn’t having any.
Tomorrow is Chrissy Day here in a very hot Western Australia, I shall be saying prayers for Caylee and my stillborn grandson Jake {Deceased 2006} I hope they will meet in heaven.
Merry Christmas from “down-under”

Luis H. December 24, 2008, 1:41 AM

Its a very sad story. A beautiful little girl taken from earth with out never knowing what live would have been. GOD BLESS HER and the family that really loved her. Thats why every night i hug and kiss my 1 year old daughter and 3 year old boy. I would not be able to live with out them. They are my life.

Jim December 24, 2008, 2:13 AM

Wow, the writer already has Casey convicted. Remember people, we still have trials in this country.

It’s all fun and games until the media turns on YOU, right?

I’d like to remind people of two adages that we hold dear in America.

1.) The due process of law

2.) Innocent until proven guilty

We can’t let the media determine who is guilty. That’s the court’s job.

I’m sure some people are ready to hang this woman, but that would make them no better than her, if she’s guilty.

Remember the old saying about I didn’t stand up for the Jews, I didn’t stand up for the Socialists, then they came for me, and there was no one left to stand up for me….

I hope the media never turns on any of us. But God help us if it does, because people will believe them over anything else.

carlamane December 24, 2008, 2:55 AM

You’re right Jim. It is unfair, but the media is all we have as the “eye” to see into these stories. That’s why we should let the system do its job and not believe everything we read or hear.

Jim December 24, 2008, 3:07 AM

Agreed.

Lorretta December 24, 2008, 3:31 AM

Speaking of pictures, the pictures of Caylee searching for Easter eggs in the Anthony backyard while Casey is video taping the memory haunt me to no end. Just imagine the thoughts going through Casey’s mind at that very moment in time. The computer forensics state the searches for neck breaking, making household weapons, and chloroform were conducted in March 2008. This just proves how inhumane and evil Casey really is as the searches were done prior to Easter this year. I do not believe for one second that Cindy or George, or anyone else for that matter, conducted those internet searches. Cindy was supposedly at work and besides that, I simply do not believe George did the searching.

Anyway, I hope Casey is enjoying the little taste of having no freedom brings. This is only an “appetizer” and the “main course” is coming soon as she will be off to prison once convicted. I truly believe she will indeed be found guilty.

Val December 24, 2008, 5:02 AM

As Jim stated, “Wow, the writer already has Casey convicted.” I just have to respond to that…

The effect reflects the intent.

Such a tragedy…that innocent child’s life snuffed out because she was such an inconvenience.

There’s a whole generation of kids out there just like Casey Anthony…so many lost souls…self-serving, thinking they are so clever and in control, leeching off of society instead of contributing. Woe to them. My heart goes out to Caylee’s family especially George and Cindy…and I wonder how they are going to hold up with their daughter’s dire situation that she brought upon herself.

Kristen December 24, 2008, 7:18 AM

I, too, have a child that resembles Caylee and my husband and I have followed the case from day one. Every day we look at our little Hailey who is at the same age that Caylee went missing. It breaks our hearts every day thinking how this mother is still existing on this earth, whether she did it or not, she made no effort to help her child and therefore, she is to blame.
We were in the grocery store the other day (the day before they identified the body as Caylee’s) and the cashier kept looking at our Hailey and watching her play with her older sister and finally I said, “Let’s go, Hailey Bear” and the cashier said, “Wait, what’s her name?” and I said, “Hailey” and she said “Oh ok, nevermind” She thought I was calling her Caylee. Probably thought she made a siting for a few minutes. I look at my little Hailey every day and cant even fathom the thought of harming her in any way shape or form. I hope Justice gets served in honor of Caylee and everyone that had to suffer through this tragic loss.

Barbara December 24, 2008, 10:45 AM

Little Caylee has touched so many people’s lives and hearts. I truly feel in mourning for her, and I feel great compassion for the grandparents and brother Lee, even if they are kind of strange. Casey’s demeanor tells it all - she could care less. The ONLY thing she is upset about is that she got caught. What a horrible tragic case this is.

Kat December 24, 2008, 10:50 AM

She did look loved and cared for. And she was - her doting grandfather and grandmother made certain she did not want.

One cannot help but wonder, had the mother raised her on her own, would we be saying the same thing?

Jennifer December 24, 2008, 12:17 PM

Who can judge? Not me! I’m a sinner, no less or greater than Hitler. It saddens us that any mother, would harm her own child in any way. God will judge righteously, for he’s the only one who can. Pray that Casey finds forgiveness with her savior. I’m sure her child would want that. Cindy and George - we pray for you, that God gives you strength and you know you are not to blame. Psalm 118:8

Tia December 24, 2008, 12:26 PM

100% agreed, we must say goodbye to baby Caylee, and hold on tight and be thankful for the children who are alive and well

Maribeth December 24, 2008, 1:17 PM

I heard or read that Cindy and George are sticking to the zanny did it story. Is this true?? Unbelieveable!!!!

Laura December 24, 2008, 1:36 PM

Jim,

We absolutely do have due process in this country but even a blind man can see the evidence against this woman, Casey, is undeniable. What parent in their right mind joins a hot body contest while allegedly looking for their missing child? Casey is a pathological narcissist with socio[athic tendencies, she did it and we all know she did it!!!!!

Helen B. December 24, 2008, 3:43 PM

I will repeat to Jim, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its a darn duck! Sure she has been tried and covicted in the media, she did this to herself with her demeanor. She did nothing to aid in the search, she has taken the system for a ride and now wants sympathy from the public? Well, she does not have nor do you for your attitudes. You are not so holy that you can demand that we wait for trial, the courts will indeed make the decision in the end. Most of us anyway do pray that the right decision is made. Apparently you have no children or grandchildren and maybe you should never have them either. We have watched this whole sad story unfold in front of our eyes, we have grieved for Caylee, have you? Also, the grandparents have lived in denial so far, now they have to face what has happened and I would not want to be in their shoes at all. Sad to think that a child one bore could do this to a baby girl, but they have this to face. Yes they need our prayers, they have them so not to worry about that. Nobody here has judged either Casey or the grandparents, they brought judgement upon themselves!

Amy lou December 24, 2008, 5:40 PM

Jim,

I am not going by what the media says but by the evidence I have read from the case that has been broadcasted. I dont listen to Nancy Grace, I have my own thoughts and they point to Casey as the killer…if you read all the evidence and video, phone calls and so forth you will realize. Of course you are innocent to proven guilty but it is quit obvious what the outcome will be.