Be Thankful for This Recession

Guest blogger Danielle Hoston: Be thankful for this recession.

Stressed woman

I know. It's hard to be positive and celebrate in times of financial difficulty. It's difficult to smile when you can hardly afford holiday gifts for you and your children. It's impossible to sleep when your rent or mortgage is late. I also know that, in most cases, it is the positively and absolutely the best thing that could ever happen to you.

In the summer of 2000, I delivered my beautiful daughter. During my pregnancy, her young and healthy father was diagnosed with intestinal cancer and died just 10 weeks after her birth. After an emotionally devastating maternity leave, I returned to work just long enough to be laid off. There I was... a heart-broken single mother of a newborn, dead broke, and now jobless.

On top of everything else I was going through, it seemed like the world had waged war against my bank account. I had car problems, maxed out credit cards, ancient bills in collections, and a seemingly endless number of miscellaneous expenses and ... NO source of income. The post office eventually withheld my mail because I refused to visit my mailbox. What for? I couldn't pay one single bill that arrived there.

I started my job search and -- in one of my darkest times -- met with an amazing man who told me that I had what it took to make it as a broker in the extremely competitive, male-dominated industry of commercial real estate. Despite the better judgment of friends and family members who loved me, I took the job. It took a year of hell on earth before I was able to make any money. It took even more years to break the financial habits that had gotten me to the financial predicament I had previously created. It turned out to be the best decision I could have ever made and one I would NOT have made it if everything -- even the worst things -- had not happened exactly as they did. I am now not only financially secure but also better person because of the experience.

So here is the truth ... no matter how bad it is, it's just money! If you have your health, you have another day to get your finances together ... even under the most dire of circumstances. If you have your family and friends, you have a source of support if you should need it and be strong enough to ask. All money problems can be fixed with time, diligence, and patience.

Daniell Hoston Community

It sounds cliché, but be thankful for this opportunity to grow. Appreciate the gained perspective and financial lessons you are learning. Enjoy the holidays with the time and laughs you are able to share with your loved ones. Use this time to disconnect from the habits that created the financial circumstances that you are currently in and prepare yourself for a better day. Every successful person knows that abundance begins with an abundant mindset. Welcome prosperity back and you will hasten its arrival.

Sometimes good things fall apart so that better things can fall together.

May you have the happiest of holidays and all of the blessings and abundance you invite in 2009.

next: The Economy Killed Secret Santa
CC December 22, 2008, 1:33 PM

Thank you for this beautiful reminder of what is important.

Selene December 22, 2008, 3:25 PM

That’s a wonderful blog. I teared up :)

I had a difficult decision to make and you have just helped me make it with that story.

It’s easier to just glide through life when everything is easy but when things get hard that’s when we find out how strong we really are and learn that we really are survivors and can make a way out of no way.

Anonymous December 22, 2008, 3:26 PM

Your Openess has shed a much needed Light On The True meaning Of This Beloved Season…Please keep Sharing your heart and Insight…

Zo-

Leslie December 22, 2008, 3:39 PM

That was great, and I can personally attest to the honesty in this story. It’s amazing how bad things can get. Once, as an adult, I had to call my father to borrow some money. I was crying because I felt terrible to be asking. I’ll never forget what he said..”Why are you crying about money? You can always get more money.” Made me laugh, but it’s so true…thanks for lifting my spirits D!

Adrian December 22, 2008, 3:39 PM

Very beautiful and thoughtful, this is definitely a healthy read for many….those who are secure and those experience in difficult times right now. Glad you opened up and shared this with everyone….

lynette December 22, 2008, 3:43 PM

it seems like you did the right thing and learned through your situation and came out a better person, which is what it’s all about. it take s alot to be able to do that though, so congrats. i too am reflecting after going through a very difficult time, your blog helped me stay focused on the big picture!

Tony December 22, 2008, 4:06 PM

Danielle,

Thanks for the wonderful reminder. Yes, the glass is half full!

Tony

Danny December 22, 2008, 5:01 PM

You go girl!!! I was in business and broke by the time I was 23, but somehow I made it. Those times just make us humble and appreciate the important things in life. My motto is if someone else can so can I. I just have to figure out how. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a wonerful New Year’s….

lesa ross December 22, 2008, 8:30 PM

I was just sitting at home thinking about how stressful and unsuccesful my sales day was in this recession. But at the end of the day I’m blessed that I have a job. I love your quote”If you have your health, family and friends you have a source of support”. Thank you for your article

Brandon Carlton December 22, 2008, 9:49 PM

I think people forget about what really matters at times,and this blog is a great way to remind them. I got a lump in my throat reading that it was really inspiring! Thank you for the article!

Isley Nicole December 22, 2008, 10:39 PM

That was powerful! I can’t imagine going through this recession with a small child. Very inspiring! Thanks for the words of wisdom. Happy Holidays to you too!

Leo December 22, 2008, 11:16 PM

Inspiring indeed. I’m 24 with very little money in the bank and just found out I’m getting laid off on the 15th of January. My current employer was kind enough to allow us an extra month to find jobs while still being employed. (Something you don’t see from most employers). This inspired me to do all I had within me to find a job within the month. Long story short the 15th is right around the corner many interviews come and gone and still no job I was discouraged. But after reading this it has re-ignited that flame within me. Happy and bless holidays to all.

Slims December 23, 2008, 12:34 AM

What a wonderful article with a positive outlook on what so many consider to be “tough times”. You are absolutely right..as long as we have our health, family, friends and hope…everything else will fall into place!! Happy Holidays!!

nrhl December 23, 2008, 1:48 AM

Awww, I remember all of that…

Anonymous December 23, 2008, 9:07 AM

Very strong and encouraging words here.

Chris W. December 23, 2008, 10:16 AM

This is good stuff! Thanks for reminding folks that money isn’t everything… and that anybody can learn to change their financial situations! Good article… impressed me alot!

JD December 23, 2008, 5:54 PM

Good stuff Danielle…I read this at the perfect time. Keep dropping this knowledge

Christine December 24, 2008, 1:12 AM

Love it. I recieve everything you said, which gives me reinforces my belief that things will get better. Happy Holidays to you

T December 26, 2008, 9:25 PM

This is a Powerful Testimony that will positively impact the lives of everyone who have eyes to see and ears to hear.

Anonymous January 19, 2009, 11:41 PM

This was an excellent article. Thanks for sharing your story. It truly does keep things in perspective.