My Child Gets to Choose Her Own Name

When my husband I were trying to figure out what to name our daughter, we devised an unconventional plan ...

child choosing name

Momlogic's Annie: It was very important to me for my daughter's last name to be hyphenated. My husband agreed -- she equally came from both parents, we do our best to split the parenting responsibilities and we want her to know that men are not more important than women.

The issue isn't people's judgments, scrutiny and constant comments. It's that my husband and I both have sort of wacky last names and with the hyphenation, she now has a five syllable surname. So we were faced with a dilemma reminiscent of a famous and often grating song, "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt." We didn't want her name to be his name too.

We came up with a plan. We gave her a first name, her hyphenated last name and as for her middle name? Well, she'll get to choose her own for her 12th birthday. Why at 12 you ask? Well, we both remember middle school being the hardest time growing up. You are so insecure about every element of your being -- just imagine being able to pick your own name!

We don't know yet if she's going to be a fan of this plan -- she's only 16 months old. If she's not, she can remain middle nameless like many who walked earth before her. We are hoping, of course, that she's spends years trying on different names, figuring out what best fits her. We imagine we'll march as a family into city hall, proudly presenting loads of paperwork, ready to experience a memorable moment in her life. And of course, we're hoping she doesn't name her self "I-Have-Corny-Parents."

Would you let your baby choose her own name? Comment in the momlogic community.

next: Palin Most Desirable Celeb Neighbor
Anonymous December 31, 2008, 11:48 AM

lame

dc December 31, 2008, 12:24 PM

get over yourselves.

such a stupid idea December 31, 2008, 3:23 PM

yeah thats alot of stress on a kid. Are you sure you want to put it all up to her? I know naming your child is hard and all but come on. I hope she picks something you both hate, then what are you going to do?

Danika December 31, 2008, 5:53 PM

I think that it is a cute idea. I don’t see why “you” are being so hard on her. I know of a few women who have chosen their maiden names for their middles names once they got married. How cool will it be for her to choose her own name! :)

mizfit December 31, 2008, 7:50 PM

Don’t you think she will be hurt that you didn’t give her a middle name? Plus the pressure of picking it herself? Grow up. LOL, what if she marries someone with a hyphenated last name to?

me January 1, 2009, 4:24 PM

our daughters middle name is my maiden name, luckily it’s a nice scottish name so it works because it’s a first or last name. but honestly i think your idea is a bit self absorbed.

Real Adult January 2, 2009, 2:04 PM

Mizfit, you are the one who is writing “LOL”. Don’t you think you are the one who should grow up?

anonymous January 3, 2009, 3:31 AM

12? She’s bound to pick something she’ll regret later. age 12 is likely the worst age to make a major decision like this. at age 12, i “chose” to get a spiral perm! yeah, bad choice!

anno January 10, 2009, 9:39 AM

Love this idea. You both are clearly committed to having your daughter develop her own beautiful sense of identity. I think the parents that have to label and define every aspect of their children, treating them only as an extension of themselves, are the ones who need to “grow up”.