Pregnant Actress Still Breast Feeding 2-Year-Old

Check out this famous beauty, who's pregnant with her second baby but says she'll breast feed "as long as it feels right for my son."

Kelly Rutherford

Us Weekly is reporting that "Gossip Girl" star Kelly Rutherford, 40, is still breast feeding her 2-year-old-son, Hermes. She and her husband, Daniel Giersch, are expecting their second child this summer.

About breast feeding, she says: "It's an amazing bond with your child. Some cultures do it up to five years, normally. I thought, 'Well, I'll just do it as long as it feels right for my son.'" Rutherford also is one of the only people on earth who says having a baby made her thinner. "I was thinner after my pregnancy than before, and I think a lot of it was the nursing. They say it helps your body get back to shape in a natural way." Maybe for you, Kelly!

Check out these other breast-feeding stories that made headlines:
Video: 8-year-old Breast Feeding
Salma Hayek Addicted to Breast Feeding
Angelina Poses For Mag While Breast Feeding

next: Activities and Outings with Grandma
Anonymous December 17, 2008, 5:06 PM

That’s gross!

anony December 17, 2008, 6:08 PM

First of all, it sounds as if she’s breast feeding so she can maintain weight loss. Second, when you breastfeed past your child’s 1st b-day there is little nutritional value left in the breast-milk (basically it’s like a sugar water at that point) so when you breastfeed in lieu of other foods your child missing out on nutritional opportunities. Last, but certainly not least, breastfeeding while pregnant can lead to preterm labor. I know that the risk for that is rare but I wouldn’t take that chance.

ShellyKP December 17, 2008, 6:43 PM

Good for her!

Michelle December 17, 2008, 6:49 PM

She’s the mother and she knows what’s best. I nursed my daughter for 2 and half years and yes it does keep you thin, but the comfort my child and I both got from nursing was something no one else can do for her. I loved it. She’s a big healthy 6 yr old now. She is very close to me and remembers being nursed. There’s a great website I relied upon those years. www.breastfeeding.com

geen December 17, 2008, 7:14 PM

Ewwwww.

Uly December 17, 2008, 8:52 PM

Anony, you’re quite misinformed. Educate yourself before you post again, thanks.

still breastfeeding my two year old December 17, 2008, 10:25 PM

Only in America would we say ewwwww. It’s been natural to extended breastfeed up until the last century here and it’s quite popular and normal everywhere else. More moms do it than you realize but they don’t alway announce it because of all the people that say ewwww for no particular reason.

shaw December 18, 2008, 12:22 PM

my wife breast feed our son until he was 2.5 yrs. old. is presently breastfeeding our 2 yr. old daughter. Those of you who claim “ewwww” or “get educated” should really look int he mirror. No one is claiming the breast milk is the only source of nourishment for these children. it is merely a matter of bonding and comfort for both mother and child. Good on you, mother’s who get it, and feel sorry for you women and your children for those that don’t.

Erin December 18, 2008, 1:20 PM

Breastfeeding during pregnancy has about the same risk for pre-term labour as any other activity which causes a woman’s uterus to contract - like sex.

So breastfeeding mamas - unless your doctor has told you to stop breastfeeding or having sex while you are pregnant because you are at high risk of pre-term labour there is now reason to stop.

bfing mother January 9, 2009, 8:13 PM

Anony, that’s like magic! Suddenly breastmilk is completely void of nutrition? Now does this happen on the child’s birthday or the day after they turn 12 months? At the stroke of midnight?

Seriously, why would cow’s milk be more nutritionally beneficial than breastmilk? Is it because the cows all have calves under the age of 12 months?

Julie January 10, 2009, 2:57 PM

Why do breastfeeders think they’re so much better at being moms? That’s my issue.

Anonymous March 19, 2009, 10:46 PM

bfing mother - You totally made me laugh! I love it! Maybe it happens the minute that the baby turns a year old… My son was born at 5:32 pm, so maybe at 5:32pm on his first birthday, the “magic” happens! *wink*

Golf Clubs September 21, 2010, 12:40 AM

Honestly fantastic entry to learn on…! I’m really amazed with this post. Searching ahead for extra data.

Fashion October 1, 2010, 4:45 AM

As a member of your fashion sector, I salute you. I was a fashion lecturer at Kingston University and am currently working with a website to bring sector specialists underneath a single roof. I really appreciate your work.