School Sued for Forcing Student's Haircut

scissors270.jpg

The parents of an 11-year-old boy are suing a middle school after a teacher allegedly cut the boy's hair in front of a class.

Alexander Brown, a student at Hidden Valley Middle School, started the school year with prominent bangs. His father, Lutin Brown, acknowledged that the bangs were long but that they did not cover his eyes.

On Sept. 25, Alexander's teacher made him stand in front of the class as the teacher "engaged in an impromptu and resisted haircut," by trimming the boy's bangs "in such a manner that she utterly and completely butchered his hair and his appearance," according to the lawsuit.

Initially there was no damage to the Alexander. "However, it grew within him and made him enormously self-conscious and was disturbing him emotionally," the lawsuit said.

Lutins is requesting $1,000 in compensatory damages and $50,000 in punitive damages.

Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.

next: I Survived a Kindergarten Sleepover
Elle December 2, 2008, 12:27 AM

And in 3 weeks his bangs will be back to the scruffy, shaggy look he prefers. Why, is anyone’s guess.

Maybe instead of suing, since mom and dad have far too much disposable income if they hired a lawyer over a bad hair cut, they should instead get their kid some therapy. If he is that traumatized by a trim, he clearly has issues.

Sas December 2, 2008, 2:17 AM

hmmm totally missing the point much? point is the teacher had no right to cut his hair, if they felt his hair was an issue then send him to the office and let them deal with it. Teachers have no right to put their hands on anyone else’s kid regardless of there PERSONAL opinion. get him therapy? well who’s fault is it that he was traumatized? The Teachers, so yes they should have some form of punishment, do I think the amount they are seeking is to much, yes, but they still have a right to expect that the teacher be held accountable and in the end it is the school that is responsible for their teachers.

Val December 23, 2008, 6:55 PM

I wouldnt have sued, but marched into that school and chopped that ladies hair to bits. And if she complained I wouldve merely said “I don’t like your hair, I thinks it’s too long”! She how messed up she gets about it! As a grown adult try walking around with butchered hair, you think it’s any different with kids. Elle, you obviously don’t have children or don’t mind when strangers touch them without your permission, because any mom would find this wrong. Infact, I am outraged! I change my mind, I wouldve sued too!

Alex Brown January 17, 2009, 12:16 AM

can all you people please stop talking about me
oh and by the way im 14

Scarlett56 March 26, 2009, 1:52 PM

This is a perfect example of why I chose to educate my children at home. Teachers are hired to do a job. That job is to EDUCATE their students NOT usurp the authority of the parents. If and when they believe a parent is not holding up their end of the bargain there are ways that can be used to bring it to a corrective end. This teacher has done more harm than good by making an example (spectacle) out of a simple haircut request. Now with legal presidence set, more red tape is needed.

turnipHed May 17, 2009, 11:52 AM

A teacher NEVER has the right to do such a thing, this behaviour is implorable and nothing but SEVERE disciplinary action should be taken against said teacher and criminal action as well.

That was a complete violation against another human being and a violation of trust.

Absolutely disgusting.

If a standard dress code that includes standards of hair cut is in place there is appropriate action that can be taken; this was not said action.

Inexcusable behaviour on the part of that teacher…

Randy Lee October 26, 2009, 10:12 PM

If this happened in California, that is at least a misdemeanor assault, possibly more than that. The teacher should be arrested and fired. Fired not so much for the arrogance and inconsideration of it, but more for the sheer bad judgment and stupidity.

Frankly the whole thing sounds like a put up job. Want to bet that the teacher and parents split the settlement coming out of the school district’s pocket? How many times has this scam already been run?

cheapviagra1504 August 30, 2010, 11:13 AM
proper golf grip March 31, 2011, 10:50 AM

I don`t usually comment on blogs, but this post is very well written, I will be sure to return again.

http:www.golfgrip-tips.com