Father Spanks 16-Year-Old Daughter

At what age does a spanking become an inappropriate punishment?

father spanks daughter

If there's one thing that gets a group of moms fired up it's the spank / no spank debate.
If spanking is indeed -- as some parents believe -- a fair and just form of childhood discipline, when is the cut off point, the age when spankings should no longer be used as punishment?

A Florida man is probably asking just that question. According to the Okaloosa County Sheriff's Department, the father told deputies he was attempting to discipline his 16-year-old daughter by giving her spanking when the teen turned around and hit him in the face.

The argument apparently was over something the girl had broken. The girl admitted to swearing at her dad and slapping him across the face. A deputy on the case stated that the father had been attempting to discipline his daughter and had not been abusing her. The girl was charged with misdemeanor domestic battery.

It seems obvious that trying to discipline a teenager with a spanking is a misguided idea. But it begs the question, when is a child too old to receive a spanking?

next: "I Would Do Layla Kiffin" Site Creeps Moms Out
david February 28, 2009, 8:13 AM

i think spanking is appropriate up to about the age of 10 after that the child should not be receving spankings.

Anonymous March 4, 2009, 10:39 AM

just tell her to get out of ur life and smack her

Anonymous April 27, 2009, 7:38 AM

I think if the teen is going to act like a child then treat them like a child. If at 16 they need a spanking, then so be it, even to the point of spanking on the bare.

Dean O'String May 23, 2009, 10:59 PM

He shouldn’t have spanked her. Instead, he should have pulled down her pants, taken off his belt, then laid about a dozen good licks across her naked behind. All you weak, limp-wristed liberals out there make me sick.

Scott June 5, 2009, 7:43 AM

I don’t think a child of 16 is too old for a spanking. If the teen acts like a child then treat them like a child and spank them. That is what’s wrong with this world today, parents don’t spank like they used to because they are so affraid of what might happen to them legally.I live in the state of Florida and spanking is not illegal, you just can’t abuse a child while you spank them. I a firm believer in spanking because some kids don’t respond to talking.

Andrew June 8, 2009, 10:38 PM

There is nothing wrong with spanking a 16 year old. It doesn’t matter what age, it hurts the same. If they don’t want to be spanked then don’t break the rules, simple as that!! This girl sounds like she needs a very good spanking that will cause her alot of pain in her behind. It might make her think twice before punching someone again.

Teresa Ramirez September 22, 2009, 12:01 PM

I know if I am being disrespected by my child. I am going to take off my belt and give em a good whipping. Regardless if he is 12,15,18 or 22.

Mark October 20, 2009, 2:31 PM

Still angry about this sorry excuse for a man….
Oh well… “Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord…”

Mark October 20, 2009, 2:34 PM

What sad excuse for a man this is…pressing charges against his own child for something that’s not ok, but definately understandable…

But no. He apparantly felt so threatened by his own daughter that he decided to give her a criminal record…
Disgusting!

Anonymous October 24, 2009, 2:12 AM

I think this is discusting spanking a child of this age even worse when its the father doing it

Anonymous November 10, 2009, 11:19 PM

I don’t think it’s abuse. I was spanked at 16 with a belt, usually on the bare bottom and sometimes naked. If you’re going to act like a little kid, you should be spanked like a little kid.

john December 31, 2009, 4:18 AM

She turned around and hit him in the face - therefore, she deserved a strapping on the bare.
I hope he pulled her across his knee, bared her bottom and thrashed her soundly with a belt, leaving her unable to sit properly for a week.
She deserved her spanking - and so should all young ladies who decide to act in such a manner.

anonymous January 17, 2010, 2:33 PM

you know what, a kid should not be abused because if the kid is abused then the kid when he or she grows up would like to abuse other kids around them. Maybe spanking a little kid like from the age of 5-10 but lightly is good enough, to make them feel humiliated only. But a good talk if the parent knows how to administer the talk than that is good enough. If the teenager is still misbehaving then take away the privleges, car, phone, tv, computer all that stuff. And after they gain their privilages kick them out of the house, even by giving them the car, they would not know how to live on thier own therefore they would come back and say sorry and hopefully behave, any other misconduct after that just kick the teenager out of the house because they think that making money and earning a living is easy but it is not so therefore they must learn that bu getting kicked out. After a few days or a week depending on your child he or she will come back and would gain thinking experince and therefore would think before acting and will be more responsible and will know how hard it is to live in bad conditions and appreciate everything you do for him/her so that they won’t misbehave agian. Do not give them the chance to run away, you kick them out!

Mark Gordon March 12, 2010, 9:19 AM

Everyone is an expert on how to hqandle every kid, heh? Let’s face it, some kids need to be spanked, and some can gt by with just a talk. I don’t agree that spanking is wrong, but if you still need to spank after the age of 10, then you didn’t do it right! the earlier you start, the softer the spanking. A light tap on the bum at 2 with a stern voice will show you are serious. How can a 2 year old REALLY understand all that TALK.

TeresaP March 25, 2010, 3:25 PM

I’m going to take the minority position here. I think if a sixteen year old is living at home and a parent is providing for her that parent has the right to discipline her as long as it is not child abuse. A reasonable spanking (one that does not leave bruises or welts) is not child abuse.

My mother whipped me when I was 15 going on 16 for borrowing the car and driving it into a mailbox. And, oh it was a real big deal. I even had to take down my pants for the belt. You bet there is plenty of shame and embarrassment when you have to bend over the bed in your panties for a belt whipping. But its exactly that shame that made me see I needed to correct my behavior.

I don’t know all the details, but I support the right of this father to spank his daughter if the thinks its appropriate.

Ashley April 12, 2010, 12:00 PM

I was spanked over my fathers’s knee as a teenager when I misbehaved and got out of line. Did not like it at the time but looking back now I appreciate how the punishment helped changed my inappropriate behavior and kept me out of further trouble.

sexybitch May 12, 2010, 1:14 PM

well i think if the girl wanted to be that disrespectful then she deserved every spank she got she wants to act like a kid she can bedisaplined like a little kid

Anonymous June 4, 2010, 10:28 PM

She should have gottin her little a** beat out in the woods with her fathers belt. For acting like a bratty child!!!Thats not abuse, thats called teachng your child a lesson. Shes old enough to know better,and if she want’s to act like that, well then her but can be sore for a few days. Ifa parent can’t control a child, well then who can? What is the world coming to?

rdh333 August 10, 2010, 3:36 AM

I have no sympathy for the 16 year old. She hit her father? When I was growing up, something that bad would have led to me being stripped naked, and being soundly whipped with a switch. And I would have deserved it. Spanking a teenager is not severe enough. Taking away privileges is ridiculous. Severe misbehaviour should result in having their pants pulled down (at the very least), and their bare backside being very sore for a couple of days. An occasional whipping, when it is deserved, is appropriate. I think if a lot more kids and teens were still whipped (reasonably and occasionally) we would have a much better society.

Andrea August 17, 2010, 10:59 PM

Are you kidding? Apparently if she had more spankings growing up she wouldn’t have thought about hitting her father. I not only think its appropriate that her father spanks her, but it his *obligation* to discipline her.

If spanking is what she responds too, then that is what should be used. I am not talking about abuse, hitting with fist. But, a belt to her backside is certainly not abuse. I say they are not too old for spankings until they leave the home.