Father Spanks 16-Year-Old Daughter

At what age does a spanking become an inappropriate punishment?

father spanks daughter

If there's one thing that gets a group of moms fired up it's the spank / no spank debate.
If spanking is indeed -- as some parents believe -- a fair and just form of childhood discipline, when is the cut off point, the age when spankings should no longer be used as punishment?

A Florida man is probably asking just that question. According to the Okaloosa County Sheriff's Department, the father told deputies he was attempting to discipline his 16-year-old daughter by giving her spanking when the teen turned around and hit him in the face.

The argument apparently was over something the girl had broken. The girl admitted to swearing at her dad and slapping him across the face. A deputy on the case stated that the father had been attempting to discipline his daughter and had not been abusing her. The girl was charged with misdemeanor domestic battery.

It seems obvious that trying to discipline a teenager with a spanking is a misguided idea. But it begs the question, when is a child too old to receive a spanking?

next: "I Would Do Layla Kiffin" Site Creeps Moms Out
ernesto October 23, 2010, 7:26 AM

A 16 year-old is more in need of bare- butt birching than any other age, although I do not believe in age limit when it comes to immaturity. The girl was begging for it! The father ought to have taken her into the woods, made her lie on a tree trunk, bared her buttocks, and given her a birching never to be forgotten in life. I know. I needed such a treatment badly when I was 16, after fighting with my father. Instead, nothing happened. I ended up in a reformatory, comitting more crimes, which I would have never committed, have I been, let’s say, sent to an uncle’s home, to a family that knew how to raise immature boys with a rod! I needed to experience the rod to grow up! There was no other way! A memorable bare-butt spanking at that age was absolutely necessary to turn me around!

ernesto October 23, 2010, 8:08 AM

This girl was begging with all her soul for a panking of her life! If the father was for some reason unable to take things in his own hand, he should have contacted a family member that has experience in disciplining teens. Another way, instead of going to the police, would have been to find a special reformatory school, where there is consistent corporal punishment, on arrival. I bet this girl would soon be begging to come back home!

david d November 1, 2010, 3:57 AM

He got what he deserved, I hope she broke his face.

ron November 3, 2010, 12:06 PM

You people are so confused it is amusing - the reason why she hit her father in the first place is because he taught her it is appropriate to hit people when you are angry with them by spanking her. I think she should have gave him a few more slaps to make the point stick with him.

ron November 3, 2010, 12:06 PM

Amanda November 21, 2010, 5:26 PM

I Don’t think 16 is to old to be spanked however my son is still very young so its hard to say what I would do in that situation. I was spanked by my Dad as a teeneger and turned out alright and I am still very close with with him. I think its unacceptable that the father is pressing charges though. I swore at my dad a few and felt the cosequences, I never hit him but I know he would have handled things himself and not involved the police.

Chun Eagleton February 10, 2011, 6:27 PM

I simply want to mention I am just newbie to blogging and absolutely enjoyed you’re web site. Very likely I’m likely to bookmark your website . You actually come with remarkable well written articles. Regards for revealing your webpage.

ernesto April 1, 2011, 9:16 AM

The need for spanking appears at all ages. I believe that real behavior modification spankings should start when people begin to have some use of reason, normally at 6 until wherever there is need. Then, if the person becomes orphaned and the spanking is interrupted, a need may reappear at 15, usually it does, when a person begins to rebel and really “experiment,” pushing the limits in the wrong way. Such person is literally “asking for a spanking.” Because there is no spanking, and because the person spanked till the age of 15, associates good with spanking, and spanking as remedy for evil in it, when deprived of spanking, the person suffers terrible psychological cataclism, and mental unrest often ending in jail, or death, or suicide. Such people should be identified by society as in need of spanking, before it is too late! Psychological tests and inquiries ought to be developed to identify their colossal desire for spanking (which they may desperately hide). But, believe me, they dream about it. Billions would be saved on crime and unnecessary societal suffering! I speak from great experience.

Pharmg500 April 6, 2011, 11:43 AM

Hello! ddfedke interesting ddfedke site!

Robert  April 13, 2011, 10:54 AM

I thinking a spanking was certainly appropriate. I don’t think kids are spanked enough these days and is part of the problem we have in society.

Claire April 16, 2011, 1:49 PM

Half the replies are trolls with spanking fetishes.

Anyway: spanking at 16 is clearly sexual abuse, especially by a parent of the opposite sex. Personally I’m with the people who say she hit him because she was trying to protect herself. However, let’s assume for the sake of the argument that she has no discipline. What does that prove? Simply that her father, who is a spanker, did a lousy job with her discipline. Obviously it didn’t work in the first place. (I’m not saying that all parents who spank do a lousy job with discipline. I’m saying that this particular argument works against spankers.)

Also, “act like a child, get treated like one” annoys the crap out of me. It’s everywhere, and it’s nonsense. By this logic, adults should get spanked by police officers for getting speeding tickets. You acted irresponsibly, now let’s violate your privates.

Speaking of police officers, the one who handled this should lose his job.

Andrea June 2, 2011, 4:59 PM

I got whipped with a belt at 16 and 17 for serious behavior, and my parents had no problem making me take all my clothes off. I’m glad for it too. The pain in my butt and private parts went away, but the discipline they taught me stuck with me.