Tom Cruise: A Real Life Hero

How Tom Cruise is helping the victims of 9/11, including my own family.

tom cruise

Momlogic's Yvette: I make my living interviewing celebrities, so I'm not the one who usually gets star struck. But recently, I found there is one exception to my rule: Tom Cruise. I've interviewed Tom many times and he's always charming, polite and entertaining. But this time I had an opportunity to speak to Tom not just as a producer, but as a wife and mother. It was a conversation I'll never forget, an experience I'll cherish forever and one my entire family will be eternally grateful for.

Back in September, I wrote about my family's experience on 9/11. I wrote about the terror of holding my four-month-old baby in my arms and watching from the deck of our home as the 2nd plane crashed into the south tower just a mere mile away from us. I wrote about how my husband, Dave, a news cameraman, was covering the tragedy when the first tower collapsed. He came away with some of the most chilling news footage of that day and nearly lost his life in the process.

We know how lucky we were that Dave walked away that morning when so many others died. But like so many families who had loved ones exposed to the toxic dust and smoke of 9/11 -- we realized that the danger didn't end when the debris was cleared. Rescue workers and people like Dave, who spent months on location covering the tragedy, were exposed to dangerous toxins. Now, years later, so many of these people are suffering from a variety of ailments which are a direct result of breathing in that dangerous air.

That's where Tom Cruise comes in. Tom is a huge supporter and sponsor of the NY Rescue Worker's Detox Program. The program offers a free 30-day detox to those affected by 9/11, including most recently -- my husband, Dave. We had heard stories about how the detox worked to rid the body of these dangerous chemicals, but didn't really know what to make of it until the day Dave called to tell me that as he sat in the sauna, the towel draped across his body turned blue, yellow and black -- a result of the heavy metals and toxins he had ingested on 9/11.

In the craziest coincidence ever, I was scheduled to interview Tom Cruise the day after Dave finished the detox. As we were chatting before our interview began, I mentioned to Tom that Dave had just completed the program. It didn't matter that he had dozens of interviews waiting -- right then and there, Tom Cruise the superstar took a back seat to Tom Cruise the husband, father and humanitarian. He stayed with me and asked me about Dave -- what happened to him, how he was feeling and what he thought of the program. He wanted to know everything. This actor was not acting concerned -- he was concerned. Instead of asking him questions about Katie and Suri, I found myself answering Tom's questions about my own family.

We finally broke away and it was my turn to ask the questions -- this time about Tom's new film, "Valkyrie." We talked about the film, and he mentioned how he grateful he is for his family -- his three wonderful children and his beautiful wife, Katie. As our interview wrapped, Tom Cruise put his arms around me and hugged me. "Thank you." He said. "Thank you for telling me about your family."

Back when Tom helped bring the detox to NY several years ago, there were concerns and questions about the program. Now, six years later, over 900 rescue workers have been helped, including my husband. The results and support from the rescue worker community have been astounding.

So many people know Tom Cruise as the movie star, the action hero and the one who always saves the day on the big screen. But it seems Tom doesn't need a script to save the day. He's doing it every single day. Through his generosity and concern for those affected by 9/11 -- Tom Cruise is an everyday hero to so many families, including my own.

next: Finally, a Truthful Christmas "Brag Letter"
sam gregor December 23, 2008, 11:36 AM

Tom as wife and mother would certainly be something worth seeing.

The way Scientology interferes at the sites of tragedies is an unworthy publicity sham and it does Tom no favours to be involved in it. Their touch assists are meaningless and their Purification treatment with hours of very hot saunas and overdosing on vitamins is dangerous to health, causing liver damage and in rare cases collapse from heat exhaustion. Beware of Scientology. It is dangerous to health and not much help in your career either.

j todd December 23, 2008, 1:27 PM

Great article about what a true humanitarian Tom Cruise really is. There is no substitute for first hand knowledge. All the misinformation in the world is impervious to looking and seeing for one’s self. Those who look will find out that the Detox project has saved the lives of hundreds of rescue workers. It continues to help more and more people every day, giving hope to those who were written off long ago. Tom’s support for this project is admirable. It takes courage to declare “the emperor has no clothes” when it’s not it’s not the mandated thing to do. Thank you.

Anita December 23, 2008, 3:20 PM

My husband’s best friend did this program and says the change is amazing. Thank you, Tom Cruise for helping these brave men and women who risked their lives to help so many others on 9/11.

Jerebeth December 24, 2008, 2:32 AM

Cruise has always been known this way then and now. He is still the same and God bless him and his family.
God bless our troops and all the victims and heroes of Sept.11.

I hope Americans will never forget.

Roger December 24, 2008, 3:00 AM

Great to hear that Tom has helped 900 rescue workers get rid of toxic materials from 9-11!

The success of the program speaks for itself and it’s great to hear it first hand.

To all the haters… what are YOU doing to help? Never mind. The answer is nothing.

sarah Nevins, VA December 24, 2008, 6:51 AM

God Bless Tom Cruise and anyone who is doing anything to help these familes. They saved lives and now they are suffering as a result. It’s a sin and a shame that more people aren’t running to help them now that they are suffering the lingering affects of 9/11.

Caroline December 24, 2008, 10:33 AM

The irony in the comments made by obvious Scientologists above is almost deafening. “God Bless”? Really - you mean that? L. Ron Hubbard claimed God is an implant, you know. Perhaps you’re not far enough on the bridge to have learned that yet.

Anonymous December 24, 2008, 11:47 AM

You’re kidding right? Tom Cruise is part of an active conspiracy to prevent people from receiving appropriate healthcare and you folks are touting bullshit and lies as being wonderful achievements?

$cilontologists be advised, “Second Chance, New Mexico” is being closed TODAY in case you had not heard. It’s another of the fraudulent programs used by $cientology to “body route” convicted felons into the ranks of $cilontology’s SeaOrg.

It seems the problem is that 80% of graduates and 2/3rds of INSTRUCTORS wind up in prison on drug charges again after course completion. Of course there’s the little matter of “unlicensed prison facility for men” housing women too.

It’s nice to see such a strong pro-$ciontology turn out, it’s just unfortunate that they’re all the same person posting under multiple “identities.”

Janice December 24, 2008, 2:26 PM

What is wrong with you people? How dare you turn this into a debate about scientology. Who cares what they do or do not believe in. What matters here is that they are helping people who are sick because of helping your country on 9/11. You can sit and spew all the venom you want, but unless you plan on taking a plane and coming to NY to help these people yourself, stop spreading hate. These resue workers need our help, not a debate about religion.

Anita Annelena December 24, 2008, 2:34 PM

My husband is a cop here in Florida and he has told me plenty of stories about other cops and firefighters who are really sick after working at the world trade center. I personally don’t care what Tom Cruise believes in as long as he continues to help these guys. I would hope that if anything like this happened to our family people would step in to help us also.

w.winalot December 24, 2008, 4:55 PM

We all want to help cops and firefighters who suffer as a consequence of their bravery and self-sacrifice. This is why we protest against Tom Cruise and his fraudulent and life-threatening treatments. Look at the Web if you want to see what they say about them in other countries. Wake up!!

Mark Cabian December 24, 2008, 5:37 PM

Scientology’s vulture ministers are infamous for stepping in, handing out other people’s supplies (Red Cross, etc.) and doing nothing but taking credit. They’re using 9/11 for good PR. How low and parasitic can you get? Their detox programs do nothing but try to reel in fish for the CO$.

Katie December 24, 2008, 10:47 PM

As a medical person, let me tell you the description of the colors of the so called “toxins” coming off on a towel? Not the way the body works.

This is just a version of an old carney scam, equivalent to the Mexican faith healers who used to say they could pull tumors out of people’s bodies.

Yes,some people may feel better. Especially if they are tricked into thinking that they are releasing major toxins that are hurting them.

And the numbers claimed by Scientology have not been backed up with actual names and evidence. If this is viable, why not prove it medically?

Roger December 25, 2008, 5:06 AM

A woman writes a story about how her husband recovered from the harsh toxins encountered during 9-11. She sincerely thanks Tom Cruise who is the person that spearheaded the program. She recounts that Tom was interested in HER and her family. She goes on to say that 900 rescue workers have completed the program. Some post their successes.

The result in the comments? Sadly psycho, bigoted nutjobs of the same type as the guy who attacked Celebrity Center with a sword post venom and want to talk religion. Do these help? No.

A medical professional requests “proof” as if this woman’s testimony is delusion. How condescending. These same medical professionals only prescribed drugs to these brave workers which were ineffective in reliving their problems. Where are their 900 graduates? Why are the workers going to Tom’s program instead of taking more drugs from them? That’s easy because the so called professionals didn’t help.

The program works, the workers were and are being helped and that it the truth

If you can’t or won’t help and can’t even recognize help then that is your problem and a symptom of your pathology not Tom’s.

Michelle December 26, 2008, 1:20 PM

It’s a scam, just like everything else pushed by scientology. And people, apparently like the author of this article, who will say or do anything to “get in” with the right people in Hollywood. You should be careful which side you choose though, the scams are being brought to light and this blatant push for the purification rundown scam could come back to bite you. Truth will tell.

Joan Remming, NC December 26, 2008, 11:01 PM

Michelle,
You say this is a scam. Tell that to my cousin who lost her husband in 9/11 or to her best friend whose fire fighter husband spent months at the world trade center sight and has now been diagnosed with lung cancer. It’s about time somebody tried to help these familes. The people who died on September 11th got millions of dollars. Yet the men and women who showed up day after day to help and are now suffering for their selflessness get nothing. You talk about religion and God and mock Tom Cruise for his religion. But I ask you this, what are you and the other so called rightous christians doing to help these families - the answer is a big fat nothing so I suggest you get on your knees and start praying for forgiveness or at least a little tolerance and open mindedness.

DataRelater December 30, 2008, 4:32 AM

Our family has sent people to this type of detox program based on Hubbard’s discoveries.

We heard back only successes from them. The people we sent are now drug-free and productive…and I know them as much as a decade after the program.

Those are human lives unequivocally changed for the better. Anyone who opposes that must be a raving psychotic.

Who could stand in the way of people getting off drugs?

Concerned American December 30, 2008, 7:03 PM

Joan Remming, scientology believes that cancer is not real, that it is all in your head. Your best friend’s husband is going to continue to get more sick and scientology will turn its back on him because they will say it is his fault that he is sick. Please urge your best friend take her husband to a real doctor. I have a friend whose father was diagnosed with lung cancer. The doctors gave him 5 years to live. That was in 1997. He got proper treatment and has lived far longer than any doctor thought he would.

Roger  December 31, 2008, 4:21 PM

For the record Scientologists don’t believe that cancer or disease is not real. GMAFB.

We believe in proper medical care for any bodily issue that demands it. My wife was hospitalized a few years ago for an emergency appendix removal. Do you think I’d let her die? If you do you are truly stupid.

I’ve got Scientologist friends who have been treated by doctors for cancer, diabeties etc., etc. Some survived and sadly I’ve lost some. They were treated with the usual protocols for cancer ie. radiation, surgery etc.

This so called “concerned american” is a bigot who is ignorant and is motivated by hate. Hate like this and the hate that was represented in the Nazi’s in Tom’s new movie, is never rational. It’s unthinkingly rigid and creates asinine comments like this and some others here.

Rather than throwing stones at Tom’s religion, celebrate his concern and actions to help the brave first responders from 9-11.

The obvious point is that the naysayers like this and stone throwers never lift a finger to help anyone. They just stand around having a pissing contest.

Thank God for the firefighters and thank God for Tom looking out for them!

Bill August 13, 2010, 4:31 AM

This is a scam. The detox doesn’t work, it isn’t recognized by any medical board anywhere in the world, it has never been approved for use on humans, it has been shown to be dangerous, it has been debunked by many medical persons, it is based on principles which make no sense of any kind, and it can easily be proven false.

How can it be proven false? Take two people, one who has been exposed to the toxins of 9/11 and one who has not. Put them through the purification process. They will both show the same result.

The Niacin taken in the process does not force toxins out in the form of brown liquid. The brown liquid is a byproduct of the Niacin.

It has helped no one and is widely scorned by the police and firefighters in New York.

Scientologists do believe that cancer is real. They believe it is caused by engrams from a past life that can be negated by chanting “retaw ot doolb ym snurt ti” over the victim. It’s the reverse of “It turns my blood to water” which is what triggers the engram to activate.

You are free to be a scientologist and free to worship as you wish. However, if you try to pass their tech off as real, you’re going to be called on it.