Wasted Youth: The Partying Never Stops

This is what college life really looks like.

In Part One and Part Two of our "Wasted Youth: What Freshman Year In College Is REALLY Like" series, we took you on campus, into dorms, and behind closed doors to find out what our kids are up to when they leave the safety and security of their parents'  homes for the first time. And although we expected kids to be partying and having fun, we never thought that these teens would be putting themselves and others in such danger.

Yesterday, we introduced you to 18-year-old freshman "Alicia" and her friends as they downed countless shots in their dorm rooms before embarking on their night of partying in town.

Now find out what happened to "Alicia" and her friends as their night continued. What we saw should make you think twice about what your teens are up to at college. Take a look:

What we found on campus was just the tip of the iceberg. We surveyed over 2,500 college freshmen from around the country to find out how much partying they actually do.

The results are downright scary. Check out the full results of our 2008 College Freshmen Survey.

Tomorrow, in the final chapter of our five-part series, momlogic's experts Dr. Cara Natterson and Vanessa Van Petten tell you how to keep your kids safe when they leave home for the first time. Their advice could save your child's life.

next: Worst Stocking Stuffers Ever
j December 18, 2008, 7:26 AM

They talked yesterday about not wanting their parents to know what they were doing. Do they not realize that now EVERYONE knows? I guess when you are young, you don’t realize just how dangerous your behavior really is.

Janine December 18, 2008, 11:27 AM

As a mom to 2 little girls I have to say that this image is always in the back of my mind. I know I did some really dumb things both with and without alcohol.

Something usually made me stop from crossing way over the line and I don’t know what that was except maybe I had really good self esteem.

Who knows, maybe it was something more.
This is a fascinating series and scary too.

Carol December 18, 2008, 11:38 AM

Chills up my back. I did not attend college but spent a few weekends after work visiting my best friend. Somehow having an alcoholic as a father helped me understand just how bad drinking, at any amount, can be. I’d have a few but was always sane enough to stop and take my friends out of the bad picture. I hope my daughter learns the same thing. We as parents can only teach and tell them so much. It ultimately is up to them to make the smart decision. Right now at 9 she when she sees something on tv displaying a ‘drunk’ style she brushes it off and tells me that must be how stupid people act. I hope that thought never leaves her mind and she plays it smart when she gets older.

Kay December 18, 2008, 5:12 PM

I think this is bull crap.If parents really want to start worrying about these kind of things then they need a head’s up:This kind of behavior and action starts way before college. Try high school, or better yet, middle school. I’ve seen it happen.

Anonymous December 18, 2008, 5:21 PM

What no puking?

Anonymous December 19, 2008, 1:28 AM

Way more than alcohol, what about percocets, xanax, really good pot, lsd shrooms, cocaine, I’ve done them all, know lots of people who have done them all, and are still in high school

Anonymous December 22, 2008, 8:59 PM

UUG! This is why there is so many more STD’s going around now a days. You never know whos got them and it’s because these kids don’t care who they have sex with, just as long as they can have sex. I am strapping a chastity belt on my girl until her wedding day!

s February 9, 2009, 8:31 AM

this is why teen should have a curfew , even in collage!

dinozaur August 10, 2009, 6:53 PM

Sorry but really, this is just par for the course. Is this movie supposed to be scary? Just stupid kids doing stupid kid things. It happens everywhere, all the time. They bring it on themselves.

Atrox August 11, 2009, 10:09 AM

Wow, and white people say that ASIAN people all look exactly the same… American girls all look exactly the same.

Prof. Truth August 11, 2009, 12:18 PM

Im sorry but welcome to the college life everyone. Some of you need to stop critizing the way other people live their lives. Go out and smoke some pot, drink some beer, maybe a psychadelic or two. Then instead of comming here and saying youre better than those people, you could just say its not for you.

Matthew August 29, 2009, 12:48 PM

This kind of drinking is clearly very dangerous, and yet a kid getting caught with weed on campus can end up losing scholarships, federal grants, or kicked out of school. If a kid is caught with alcohol, schools don’t do anything. Cannabis is a much safer drug; it doesn’t lead to date rape, assault, stomach pumpings, or death, yet schools drive their students to alcohol.

Anonymous October 17, 2009, 7:59 PM

I think the woman that said strap a chastity belt to her daughter was right. I have a son and twins on the way and just remembering back to highschool and college I think I would do the same