No One Was Watching Boy Saved by Puppies

Little Jaylynn Thorpe wandered away from home and was lost in the woods for nearly 21 hours. Puppies Dipstick and Boosie kept an eye on Jaylynn --- and cuddled with him to keep warm. One question though -- where was the toddler's babysitter? Samantha Elliott, Jaylynn's 18-year-old cousin, tells momlogic she was responsible for watching Jaylynn the night he went missing. While Jaylynn was playing with toys and watching TV, Samantha was taking care of her 6-month-old. "I was in the bedroom breast feeding my baby and that's when Jaylynn got away," says Samantha.

puppy

Once Samantha realized Jalynn was nowhere to be found, she called Jaylynn's grandmother and guardian. "It was scary. This was the first time he [had] ever done this to me," says Samantha. Search teams combed the woods near Samantha's home as she prayed for the boy's safe return. "I stayed up all night praying to God," says Samantha. "All the people that helped look for him ... It was a blessing."

Samantha would have joined the search effort, but the sub-freezing temperatures prevented her from helping. "It was too cold to take my baby with me," she explains.

The search ended the following day when rescuers spotted Jaylynn with the protective puppies. "He was laying up against a big tree trunk so I'm sure the dogs is what kept him alive," says Joanne Elliott, Jaylynn's aunt.

Jaylynn was then taken to the hospital where he was treated for dehydration. Samantha says Jaylynn is now home and feeling "pretty good." As a new mom, Samantha admits she "panics a lot" when she's looking after more than one kid. So, she plans to enlist the help of another person next time she babysits.

next: Gap Casting Call: Is Your Kid Next?
tonya December 9, 2008, 2:05 PM

“The next time she babysits”?! Um no, if that happened to my kid while she was sitting she would be fired.

Bev December 9, 2008, 6:11 PM

Why would she need to go into another room to breastfeed? The boy is a toddler…she could have fed her baby in the same room as him without ever having him out of her sight, and he would never have wandered away. Just goes to show that 18-year-olds have no business being parents.

Just sayin' December 9, 2008, 7:05 PM

Bev, that’s such a butt-head kind of comment. 18 yr olds can be very good parents. Maybe you new name should be BEVis. huhuhuhuhuhhuhuh.

Angela December 9, 2008, 8:22 PM

She didn’t lock the boy in a closet, nor did she leave him in a car for hours on end with the windows rolled up. She went into another room. Her mistake was not checking to make sure all the doors were locked. We have one of those chains on our door, up at the top of the door where my daughter can’t reach, because she has mastered the ability to open a locked door.

Admittedly, I wouldn’t be calling this woman to watch my child any time soon… but this is not the most damning babysitter mishap I have heard either. I’m just thankful that it ended well and the boy is now safe.

anonymouse December 9, 2008, 8:30 PM

yeah I disagree with Bev.
how many times do you, as a parent, go in the other room? huh? a lot! it’s impossible to stay in the same room as a kid the entire time you’re watching them. if the boy is as good as she says, and never wanders off on her, why would she worry about that happening while she was in the other room? I feel really bad for her. I was just watching a friend’s kids. I was dealing with one of them when the other just put on her shoes, and walked out of the house! she’s never done that to me, either. thankfully she was just going in their back yard and I found her straight away, but seriously! all it takes is a second, and we’re ALL guilty of it! many times over. I highly, HIGHLY doubt you’re THAT watchful. it’s not like the girl just pushed the kid outside and let him alone. use your brain and stop and think for a second before you post. or better yet, get a new one.

Family Friend December 9, 2008, 8:36 PM

Just so you know… The babysitter is not at fault here. The story is a bit misleading. She had stepped into another room to feed her baby, but had only been gone a few minutes. The story makes it sound like she had been gone a long time.

I’ve seen her with Jaylynn many times, and he behaves better for her than he does most other family members. So don’t be too critical - you don’t know the whole story.

mommyof3tots December 9, 2008, 9:49 PM

The real tragedy is the stupid police! Yeah, I said it. We live about 3 miles from where this occurred and we live in a very rural area. (Peeing off your front porch, kind of rural) My husband and several other family members went to join the search and were turned away. They were told that the “professionals were being called in to search”. The problem is that almost all men in this county are avid hunters and know the woods like the back of their hand. I could drop my husband off, ten miles away and he would know his exact location and walk all the way home. Why in the heck would anyone turn away people with that kind of expertise? Sometimes you just can’t fix stupid. That boy would have been found twelve hours earlier had anybody known what they were doing!

Family Friend December 10, 2008, 8:41 AM

mommyof3tots:

I agree 100%! I went up there as well, (although I’m no hunter, but I was willing to help search) and they were telling people that if they went out in the woods, they would be arrested. The grandmother kept telling them they needed to go check near the ponds, which is where he was eventually found. The “professionals” should have taken some tips from the “amatuers”.

RB December 10, 2008, 3:17 PM

I have a 3 year old and often plays in another room of the house. I look in on him, but seriously a 3 year old doesn’t have to be right by your side! Our home has child safety knobs on all doors so he can’t get out. She went to another room, not another town people!

shanana December 10, 2008, 5:30 PM

I’m glad to hear that the boy was found, but, I’m surprised that the police were turning people away… when a child is missing it seems that the more people there are helping to look the better chance of finding the child.

Kara December 10, 2008, 10:30 PM

Am I hearing this correctly? People are miffed because she went into another room?? Have you NEVER left your child alone in a room before?? All of you perfect parents, how long was it before you actually went into a room without your child attached???? Get real. It was a tragic situation with, thankfully, a happy ending. I don’t think the babysitter is to blame. I’d look into different locks or something but seriously people, stop being so judgemental!

Melissa December 15, 2008, 8:54 PM

I’m here to back up Bev. Hell yes you should be watching your kids at all times! How often have you heard the expression “I only looked away for a moment and my child was gone”? In our area, the same thing happened a while back except the 2-year-old little boy fell in the river and drowned. There were no locks on the doors to protect him from whatever trouble he could get into. And the child did not “Do this to her”. There was an adult who was supposed to be watching him and she wasn’t. Is there any wonder why there are so many child abductions? It’s because they aren’t being properly supervised by a responsible adult!

Watch your kids like HAWKS!

Brock Steerman March 22, 2011, 8:23 AM

Keep functioning ,impressive job!

Rosario Wosher March 30, 2011, 5:33 AM

Hello.This article was extremely interesting, particularly since I was searching for thoughts on this topic last Tuesday.

Fidel Naone April 6, 2011, 7:39 AM

I have been reading out some of your posts and i must say clever stuff. I will definitely bookmark your site.

syma helicopter April 8, 2011, 9:06 AM

Oh dude! What an excellent article dude! Have to be grateful for you for this 1, though I’ve got a issue with your RSS feed. Can’t seem to subscribe to it for some reason. Do you know if anyone else is having the exact same dilemma? If you’ve got a answer please let me know.

Andreas Cariker April 10, 2011, 5:11 AM

As a Newbie, I am constantly browsing online for articles that can be of assistance to me. Thank you