The bounty of holiday parties takes its toll on us all this time of year. Family gatherings that focus on sweets and greasy fare plump our bellies and derrieres, and put us at risk of suffocating while donning our party dresses!
Besides that, preparing meals for our kids and families this time of year (think cookie dough snacking) puts us over the top! Try to relax ladies. Follow these five simple tips from celebrity fitness expert JJ Virgin to de-bloat and re-energize in just hours:
1. Sip on green unsweetened tea throughout the day -- the mild caffeine has as diuretic effect, the theanine is great for your mood and the antioxidants can battle the effects of aging.
2. Have a serving or two of melon (honeydew, cantaloupe, etc.) per day. These fruits are natural diuretics.
3. Load up on green veggies that are specifically known for their diuretic effects ... asparagus, celery, watercress and cucumber.
4. Pare down your carbs! Limit your intake of grains, starchy veggies such as potatoes, and fruits to just a couple of servings a day and watch your waistline magically reappear!
5. And finally, pull the Hollywood cheat -- invest in some SPANX!
Here are a few weight loss tips if you plan one to three days ahead:
• Breakfast and Lunch: One serving of melon and a side of lean protein (egg or lean meat).
• Dinner: Watercress and spinach salad with cucumbers and celery with one tbsp of olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon, steamed asparagus, six ounces of broiled chicken, turkey, salmon or halibut.
• If you must snack, limit it to celery and two -- four ounces turkey or chicken slices.
• Between meals, six or more cups of green tea, eight or more glasses of water.
Follow this for on to three days before the big event and zip up that dress with ease!