Having 14 Kids Should Be Illegal!

When it was announced that the octuplets mom has six other kids and lives with her parents, I was furious. Shouldn't this be against the law?

handcuffed womans hands

Guest blogger Gina: It's been revealed that the young mom of the octuplets has SIX other children, including one set of twins. And she lives at home with HER PARENTS.

She is not even responsible enough to have her own place, yet she brings eight more kids into the world? This is just criminal!

No father has been mentioned, either. Is she a single mother? It's anyone's guess at this point.

This mom of 14 lives in my home state of California. Is she on welfare? I don't know. But if she is, that means I'M PAYING TO FEED HER KIDS in an economy where I can barely feed my own. Plus, our state is going bankrupt.

However, IVF is not cheap. While it hasn't been confirmed she used fertility treatments -- if she did, that costs a boat load of cash. Surely she's getting the money from somewhere! Is she charging it on credit cards she has no intention of paying off? I have no idea. But when I saw the house that these people live in, I could barely believe my eyes. It looks like it could barely house three children, much less 14.

I am not into Big Brother government controlling what I do ... but when I hear stuff like this, I wonder if having this many kids should just be illegal. What do you think?

next: Octuplets Mom Has Six Other Kids
Beth January 29, 2009, 12:24 PM

You just made a ton of assumptions about a woman you know absolutely nothing about and then went on a rant about her based on those assumptions. That seems kind of irresponsible to me. (1) Just because no one has mentioned a father doesn’t mean one isn’t present. This woman has made no statements at all about her situation, so we don’t know. Maybe she’s married, maybe she’s single, maybe her husband died or abandonded her. (2) One report I read said that her parents are staying with her to help take care of the children. Sounds like she’s doing the responsible thing in that case. But either way, the point is we don’t know why she lives with her parents, so maybe we should hold off judgment until we know for sure. (3) You have absolutely no idea what this woman’s financial situation is, and yet you feel free to go on a tirade about how she’s sucking up all of your hard earned tax dollars. Maybe she’s independently wealthy, maybe she on welfare. We just don’t know. While I agree with you that people should not have more children than they can afford, and I also think that having octuplets is dangerous and unwise, it would probably be best to not be so judgmental and angry until all the facts are in. Then feel free to express your righteous indignation.

Alex January 29, 2009, 12:28 PM

If someone is financially or mentally unable to take care of a child and can’t demonstrate that they can provide a minimum of food, shelter, clothing, and education, I agree they shouldn’t be having children. However, I don’t recommend jail time for this. Instead, I recommend some form of mandatory community service for the duration of the time that they receive assistance. The amount of mandatory community service would increase with the amount of assistance received. Telephone hotlines come to mind, or providing daily service at a day care center. Anything that can be done from home where the kids are (addressing and stuffing envelopes, word processing, whatever).

I did see an article somewhere that mentioned a dad, which brings up another point. The dad is just as responsible for this as she is.

micheline January 29, 2009, 12:33 PM

The righteous indignation should be directed at the medical “professionals” who allowed this to happen. It is highly unlikely that this woman had octuplets without fertility treatment/drugs being involved.

ak mom January 29, 2009, 12:34 PM

Questioning the legal rights of families to have children or how many kids they can legally have is not something that you should do. If they are on state assistance or not OR if they pay cash, have insurance or charge the cost…. this is not your business or anyone else’s! If they are living beyond what they can afford they will either have to make changes in their lives to fix it or suffer for it in due time. Personally I think our welfare system is out of control and that too many people are abusing the system. However, if we as a society start asking for laws as to how many kids a family can have then we are asking for an end to our country as we know it. And before we know it we will be living under laws as bad a China. Would you ask that laws dictate how many kids a family can have? What if a family is up to that limit and they get pregnant.. … would you want them to be forced to have abortions? What if a couple attempting IVF has more than the allowed amount of viable embryos, to those couple those embryos are potential children… would you want the gov to force them to throw them away? What you should be asking is if our welfare/entitlements system is broken then how can we fix it and why is our government providing so many free, never-to-be-paid-back medical services, education, housing and money to people who break our laws and enter our country illegally? So I say NO there should not be laws forcing people to limit the number of kids they have. However, our welfare system should be changed into a workfare system where people actually earn the money they receive and learn a trade so they can work.

R January 29, 2009, 12:49 PM

This mother’s life is none of your concern.

bill January 29, 2009, 1:06 PM

We don’t need laws against multiple births. We need higher standards for medical ethics, then these things would not occur with the “aid” of medical technology.

Anonymous January 29, 2009, 1:57 PM

Wow you sure are assuming a lot you know nothing about! I think this blog is very unfair and I don’t know why such trash is put on this site.

Tracey January 29, 2009, 2:11 PM

Beth - you should listen to the news a bit more before you answer questions. She DOES live with her parents, they are not staying with her to help her. She is SINGLE. I completely agree with the original poster, this is ridiculous. There is no way she did not use fertility drugs to get pregnant with EIGHT babies. And if by some smaaaaal chance she got pregnant naturally - with 6 at home, no father around and living with your parents - USE PROTECTION!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous January 29, 2009, 2:18 PM

I don’t think we should necessarily LIMIT the number of children people can have, but we do need changes within our system that does not allow these people to reproduce as they wish and live off taxpayer dollars for years without end. They are draining our system and the rest of us who are responsible are paying the less responsible citizen’s bills forever. We need to start with sending illegal immigrants back to their country until they decide to join our democracy by our laws! And that means becoming a tax paying citizen!

Heather January 29, 2009, 2:18 PM

you have no right at all to say such a thing about this women. you no idea how off she is or anyhthing about her. i suggest you not be so irresponsible, and get your facts straight dear, and not assume such things when you dont even know.

Anonymous January 29, 2009, 2:28 PM

you have no idea how her life is at home, she may be well off, YOU DON’T KNOW THAT, to even assume anything. i think that this blog is completely redicuolous, and that they shouldn’t even allowed it to be posted. no mother with that amount of kids should go to jail when she is taking care of them. i believe that her parents may be help raising them, but once again that is a thought, not an assumption!! i believe what “beth” is saying is true, its like she stole the words right out of my mouth. but in all seriousness, you should stay out of peopels business that DOES NOT EVEN INVOLVE YOU. what if somebody discriminated you like you are doing to this women?? exactly! so just leave her alone. i think that she is a good parent raising her kids correctly. Don’t say shes using the tax payers money, or credit cards, when you have no idea how off she is with money to assume such a thing that she’s using tax payers money, or credits cards. you are completely rediculous, and need to stay out of others lives and business’. what if you were in this mothers place, and some crazy person, like YOU thought up the idea of puttintg you in jail, and getting your kids taken away?? how would you feel?? stop medaling!!!!!!

Anonymous January 29, 2009, 2:41 PM

This is asinine. At least she’s taking care of her kids and not letting them starve. And besides, what business is it of yours what this mother does regarding her children?

Get off of your high horse already.

Anonymous January 29, 2009, 2:45 PM

I agree with you completely. People we have evolved, this is a different society. People should not have children unless they can support them financially and emotionally. Who on earth can give the proper amount of attention to 14 children? I know people with only 2 siblings who feel they had to struggle for attention. This is irresponsible in every sense of the word. It disgusts me. If you arent worried about this then you have your head up your ?*# ! California is broke, there is no way this woman is a millionare and you need that much money to really support this amount of children. Now the people of California get to pay for the assistance. Financial aid when they go to college, health care. I agree with the poster 100%, when you decide to make a circus of yourself and your body then you should expect criticism. For all you religious people who think that life is a blessing no matter the circumstances, I hope you continue to think so while the overall quality of life of the average American deteriorates because of reckless and selfish individuals like this woman. Have a great day!

Harriet January 29, 2009, 3:03 PM

Mom won’t need to live with the parents anymore, what with the windfall Today Show birthday parties these kids will forever be subjected to. Oh, and numerous reality t.v. and modeling projects. Then when the kids are older, a Jacksonesque singing group. But after that, for sure the two girls have to branch off a la Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen. And the boys can be the next Jonas Brothers.

birdsfly January 29, 2009, 3:09 PM

THe tax breaks/incentives alone will probably pay for these kids. Ever heard of “cheaper by the dozen”?

Tina January 29, 2009, 3:21 PM

Whoa… you think it should be illegal to have 14 kids? So how many should she have? How many should I have? Maybe we should consult China since they have so much experience in this area. I couldn’t believe this when I read it. Maybe our welfare system needs to be reformed, but taking away freedoms from people because you don’t agree them is something I would fight against. Our country faught very hard for it’s freedom.

Corrin January 29, 2009, 3:50 PM

My only question as a resident of Cali. is…

Who is footing the bill for these children?

If its the family of this mother, my interest in this topic is over.

If she is on welfare/ public assistance then I think we need to re-examine a little thing called personal responsiblity.

What January 29, 2009, 4:02 PM

I don’t have kids and I pay lots of taxes. I guess I should be outraged that my money is going to pay for the schools attended by the author (Gina) of this blog entry…

Alexis January 29, 2009, 7:04 PM

Do you even have children? Apparently you seem concerned. Perhaps you should move in next door and offer assistance rather than complain about everything. Then after you’ve helped them I’ll consider your position.

Jill January 29, 2009, 10:23 PM

Apparently it’s easy for women to get fertility treatments in Mexico with little to no oversight, then come back to the US and qualify for state healthcare (medi-cal).

California is going bankrupt because of all the welfare benefits and booming population that are overwhelming the hospitals and schools. Unfortunately, the system is rigged to reward women for having large families. It just encourages women with no education to just be baby factories.