Having 14 Kids Should Be Illegal!

When it was announced that the octuplets mom has six other kids and lives with her parents, I was furious. Shouldn't this be against the law?

handcuffed womans hands

Guest blogger Gina: It's been revealed that the young mom of the octuplets has SIX other children, including one set of twins. And she lives at home with HER PARENTS.

She is not even responsible enough to have her own place, yet she brings eight more kids into the world? This is just criminal!

No father has been mentioned, either. Is she a single mother? It's anyone's guess at this point.

This mom of 14 lives in my home state of California. Is she on welfare? I don't know. But if she is, that means I'M PAYING TO FEED HER KIDS in an economy where I can barely feed my own. Plus, our state is going bankrupt.

However, IVF is not cheap. While it hasn't been confirmed she used fertility treatments -- if she did, that costs a boat load of cash. Surely she's getting the money from somewhere! Is she charging it on credit cards she has no intention of paying off? I have no idea. But when I saw the house that these people live in, I could barely believe my eyes. It looks like it could barely house three children, much less 14.

I am not into Big Brother government controlling what I do ... but when I hear stuff like this, I wonder if having this many kids should just be illegal. What do you think?

next: Octuplets Mom Has Six Other Kids
Anonymous January 29, 2009, 11:19 PM

it should be illegal.

Nikki Kuhn January 30, 2009, 6:55 AM

Mind your own beeswax, girl

Anonymous January 30, 2009, 7:45 AM

It’s because of people like that mother of 14 now, that I feel bad for even thinking of having kids. That’s why I’ll adopt. Isn’t the world overpopulated enough as it is? Personal responsibility is thinking about others in this world. What about the babies out there in the world already that she could have adopted, if she really wanted more kids?

-Rain January 30, 2009, 4:23 PM

This woman has very intentionally remained private about her name and details of her situation. That says that she agrees this is none of our business. However, the assumptions I drew about her were far different from the original poster’s. My ASSUMPTIONS are it sounds like she is single, wanted kids, and therefore turned to fertility treatments. Having six originally, this pregnancy would have given her 7 children under normal circumstances, which doesnt sound at all outrageous to me, I know several families with 6 to 10 children and they are doing just fine (and not on Welfare.) However, due to fertility treatments, she ended up with a few more than planned, and like a truly loving mother, she fully planned to deliver and raise each one of them. I don’t want this to become and abortion discussion, but there are many people, myself included, who consider abortion murder, and to say that a mother who chose not to abort some of her children was irresponsible, is hurtful and ridiculous. Don’t force your views on her, be glad that if you were ever in her place, you would have the freedom to reduce the number of kids you deliver, and respect her decision to keep and raise them all, and it was HER decision.
Also, since when did it become a sin for a single woman to live with her parents. Again, my ASSUMPTION is that they sound like a very close and loving family. If she never got married, and her family unit was so close, why leave? If I was in her place, I would most certainly work, (no idea if she does or not, not my business, it’s her life) but if say, hypothetically, she is an only child and her parents are all she has and she all they have, then I see nothing wrong with them continuing to live together, especially if they are ready and willing to help her raise her children now. On that note, her father said they have a huge house in a location he would not disclose for purposes of privacy. You are judging her for not keeping with the “norm” of society. She lives with her parents *GASP*, she has children without a father *GASP* she has more than 3 children!! *GASP!!!!* People in this country are free to live in whatever way they choose, have as many children as they want, and in whatever way they want to. Count your own blessings, I assure you you have many. Stop and realize that the more restrictions you urge the government to place on the lives of others, the sooner it will be that your freedoms are restricted as well. Be careful, with your thinking it wont be long before the government tells you how many children you MUST have and they will all belong to the government to use at its disposal. Someone mentioned China. Yes, go read about the “secret” horrors of their government controls on reproduction and then tell me your thoughts. I want to stand up and shake my fist at China and say “Yeah, we have a mother here with 14 kids!! And some of them are even girls!!”

Raymond January 30, 2009, 6:01 PM

This woman is IRRESPONSIBLE!! According is the news there is no father present and never has been. The taxpayer is picking up the tab for this crazy woman and her 14 children. If she were paying for all of this it would not be a problem but the rest of us working taxpayers are paying . This is not some blessed event it is insanity!

emlcsw January 30, 2009, 9:00 PM

i think it is extremely naive to say this does not concern anyone else and that we should all mind our own business. It DOES involve everyone that is paying for this, she is single, there is a report that she used a sperm donor both times, lives with her parents in a home that is way too small for the # of people living there. There seems to be something unstable about this woman. This is exactly the kind of case we NEED to look at in order to discuss improving ethics in medicine. There needs to be an assmt tool used to determine if someone is fit to undergo fertility tx. I would argue that the mere fact that this woman ALREADY has 6 kids and now wants more is the first red flag…let alone all of the other psychosocial info that we know about her. It is our business because we should want safe and responsible health care for people. This is a disgrace and should not have happened. I fear for these children. If we refuse to even allow ourselves to talk about this because it is “not our business,” we are doing a disservice to us all.

J January 30, 2009, 11:26 PM

what?

Superiority complex January 30, 2009, 11:29 PM

AK MOM,

You want to bring immigration in to this?
Okay, let’s start by adressing the first influx of illegal immigration. The migration of YOUR ancestors!

cleo January 31, 2009, 8:46 AM

It’s weird how people want to go online and type comments about this woman’s life. I bet 90% of these comments are from people who speed with their kids in the car while they are on their cellphones. And you people want to make judgement calls on a stranger? Wow, that’s an American for you. They sit on a computer seraching for stories that make them upset instead of going out there to spend some money to make the economy better. She’s not the only female out there in this situation. In case anyone wants to pass judgment, I’ve served in Iraq twice, have a full time job, a family, and I go to school. And you know what? I get government cheese!

Hope January 31, 2009, 11:42 AM

You definitely have no right to even insinuate that having 14 children should be “illegal”. Yes, it’s far from typical, but you have no cause to judge. You’re assuming because that she has 14 children and her parents are living with her that they must be on welfare. WRONG. And when writing this article you had no idea of the facts. What if this woman is married? And even if she isn’t, you still have no right. Children are not decisions- They are people with a soul from the moment of conception. Would you prefer if she’d aborted some of the children that are now beautiful gifts, and breathing on their own??? This article made me absolutely furious.

Carolyn January 31, 2009, 3:11 PM

In vitro fertilisation (IVF) treatment guidelines produced by the American Society for Reproductive Medicine say that a woman under 35 should have no more than two embryos implanted at a time. The organisation said last night that it had started an investigation into the case.

It was reported yesterday that the family of the octuplets filed for bankruptcy less than two years ago and subsequently abandoned their home. It is thought that they are now receiving government WELFARE.

Nadya Suleman is 33 years old and lives with her parents in Whittier, in southeast Los Angeles County.

It is reported that all 14 children are from the donated sperm of a neighbour who is NOT married to the woman. Another mystery is how the the estimated $100,000 (£70,000) cost of an IVF birth might have been met.
When contacted at her home by the Los Angeles Times, the octuplets’ grandmother, Angela Suleman, said that her daughter never expected the birth of eight babies.
She said hospital doctors had told the octuplets’ mother that she could reduce the number of embryos to give the ones that remained a better chance of survival: “But she refused to have them killed,” she said. “That is a very painful thing.”

She acknowledged the immense financial and logistical strain of raising 14 children. Aside from the octuplets, the others are aged 7, 6, 5, 3 and 2. The youngest are twins, suggesting that the mother had undergone IVF treatment before.

“It’s going to be difficult,” said the grandmother, adding that the octuplets’ grandfather, Ed, is returning to Iraq, where he will work as a contractor to help support the family.
One report has claimed that the grandfather is an Iraqi national. Approached by press outside his house, he warned that the family would go into hiding after the octuplets are released from hospital. “We have a huge house, not here,” he said. “You are never going to know where it is.”

Anonymous February 1, 2009, 9:18 AM

I don’t have children and you know why, because I can’t afford to have them right now. Maybe someday when I’m alittle better off, but I’m doing the responsible thing. If you read about this woman it says that her father is going back to work in Iraq to support her and her 14 children and there is not real father around, she used a sperm doner. I don’t think she should be thrown in jail but I think there should be some kind of limit on the assistance her or anyone else can get. I pay all my bills and taxes on time and support myself I don’t want to support people who think they can make money by popping out babies. They know as long as they keep having babies the money will keep flowing and that’s just wrong.

Anonymous February 1, 2009, 10:40 AM

What if every woman in the US decided to act like this woman? HOW would pay the bills.
The Earth cannot support such totally irresponsible and selfish idiots….

Jen February 1, 2009, 11:23 AM

People always assume too much when they read stories they disapprove of. No one actually knows the truth except for the mom and anyways too many people should mind their own business. Yes, I think 14 kids is too much during these economic times but if it weren’t for having so many kids in the past, I would not be here today, my grandmother was one of 13 kids and my great grandmother was one of 11. Does that mean that they grew up poor? No!!! The whole family did well and they looked out for one another. I do believe responsibility is the key and so if they are responsible enough then what they do and how many kids they have is their business. By the way, I know several families who only have one child that lives off the state so it doesn’t matter how many kids one has when the tax payers are forking out the money.

Margy February 1, 2009, 11:32 AM

The Grandfather is Palestinian so it is possible they are Muslim. Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. They are outbreeding the infidel non-Muslims in Europe and now, apparently in the USA.

HEATHER February 1, 2009, 11:35 AM

I WAS RAISED ONE OF 14 CHILDREN. DAD WORKED MOM WAS STAY AT HOME UNTIL THE YOUNGEST WENT OFF TO 1ST GRADE. WE ATE WELL , OUR HOME WAS CLEAN, SO WE DIDN’T WEAR DESIGNER CLOTHES SO WHAT. THE KEY TO THE WHOLE THING HERE IS WE HAD 2 PARENTS AND DAD WORKED TO SUPPORT HIS FAMILY. WHAT A UNIQUE CONCEPT. THE PROBLEM TODAY IS GREED AND THE BREAK DOWN OF THE FAMILY UNIT. SHAME ON ANY DOCTOR WHO WOULD IMPREGNATE A SINGLE MOTHER OF 6. OUR TAXES AT WORK

jma February 1, 2009, 11:38 AM

People like her need one thing and one thing only….MANDATORY STERILIZATION !.
People who do not have the means of supporting their brood, especially if unmarried, should be Sterilized once they’ve dropped their first load, be it one kid or however-many…If not, the tax-paying citizens will continue to have to pick up the tab for all these never-ending illegitimate rug-rats…
This cow is nothing but a baby-machine with the mind-set of a baby-machine and the intelligence of a child. And she apparently has no means of supporting her tribe and has to rely on her family…and, undoubtedly, some sort of Public Assistance…
She has been “obsessed with having children” (according to her family) since she was young but she has never attempted to do it the “correct” way (ie…marriage or, at least, a “partner” who would “be there” for the kids)…and her parents have, apparently, never attempted to stop her.
Which brings up a legit question…Where did the money for her fertilization come from?…This is NOT an INEXPENSIVE procedure?…
Maybe she needed psychological counseling but…hey…it’s too late now…She should have been sterilized after the first 6, now there are 14…and this cow wants more! She is a whack-job and should have her baby-factory shut-down…
And don’t bother with your emails voicing “outrage” that anyone should be so cruel/heartless/evil (take your pick) to even suggest Sterilization of these mindless twits who insist on having kids without the means of supporting them…I’ll bet a LOT of you have the same thought/feeling but just don’t have the gumption to suggest it….

used to live i California February 1, 2009, 12:37 PM

I used to live in California. The health care system was going broke BEFORE this latest crisis. She lives at home, is a professional student at what, 31? There is no dad. It was a sperm donor. Same for the first 6 kids. She needs to be sterilized and the kids need to get into protective services. She is a nutcase of a baby factory. When it costs the state, yeah, its my business. There were 45 people involved in this case. What do you think that cost? SOMEBODY HAD TO PAY FOR IT.

County hospitals are going broke as Mexicans come over the border, have their kids in the US and instant citizenship for the kid. We can’t afford it.

Quit the oh this is cute stuff. She needs to be in jail or getting mental health care. And don’t forget the doctor, ever heard about him? Guys like him COST everybody. Pull his license.

Helen February 1, 2009, 12:39 PM

Anyone can take care of 14 children at one time. As babies it’s more difficult, but difficult is not impossible. I grew up in an orphanage with 200 other children and 13 blessed and wonderful sisters of charity (nuns)watchng over us in a 4-story asylum and basement. Now at age 89 I can recall every inch of it and all the good times we all had there. 200 divided by 13 comes out to 15.5 children per nun to watch over them. It can be done when it is desired. And this mom with her 6+8 is willing and should be left alone to her own life. If she needs community help, why not lend assistance! It is given in poor neighborhoods where
single mothers have only 1 or 2 young ones to raise. When at age 24 I got married, I wanted at least 6 children, but the Lord had other plans for me. He let others fill up the universe.

sandy February 1, 2009, 2:23 PM

That is bad specially with this economy ,what she’s thinking having 8 babies and already have 6children . Return it back home if she is not US Citizen and dont let her use any money from Goverment anymore,dont help her ,she is an animal baby after babies , Looser lady with eight babies .I HAD YOU………………