Having 14 Kids Should Be Illegal!

When it was announced that the octuplets mom has six other kids and lives with her parents, I was furious. Shouldn't this be against the law?

handcuffed womans hands

Guest blogger Gina: It's been revealed that the young mom of the octuplets has SIX other children, including one set of twins. And she lives at home with HER PARENTS.

She is not even responsible enough to have her own place, yet she brings eight more kids into the world? This is just criminal!

No father has been mentioned, either. Is she a single mother? It's anyone's guess at this point.

This mom of 14 lives in my home state of California. Is she on welfare? I don't know. But if she is, that means I'M PAYING TO FEED HER KIDS in an economy where I can barely feed my own. Plus, our state is going bankrupt.

However, IVF is not cheap. While it hasn't been confirmed she used fertility treatments -- if she did, that costs a boat load of cash. Surely she's getting the money from somewhere! Is she charging it on credit cards she has no intention of paying off? I have no idea. But when I saw the house that these people live in, I could barely believe my eyes. It looks like it could barely house three children, much less 14.

I am not into Big Brother government controlling what I do ... but when I hear stuff like this, I wonder if having this many kids should just be illegal. What do you think?

next: Octuplets Mom Has Six Other Kids
Sandy February 1, 2009, 2:32 PM

I don’t mind if she dont have any kids before ,now she had 14 kids ,how she gonna feed the kids? is she work? is she rich? and I hope she is not need help form Goverment money noe tax money. Is she legal in US? This is stupid animal much smarter than you lady with 14 kids. Stupid and Jerk!!!!!!!.

Denise February 1, 2009, 4:24 PM

Gina, I’m with you 100% on this. This woman’s behavior is grossly irresponsible, and judging from the evidence we the taxpayers are going to be funding her mistake. I’d like to place most of the blame on the fertility doctors, but I heard this woman lied to them to get her IVF treatments.
Yes, it IS our business if people have litters of children, if they aren’t financially capable of caring for them.

Brindle February 2, 2009, 10:37 AM

This is insane! How can some of you even think this isnt our business. That is how children slip through the system. My parents were foster parents and I watched the pain of children born to mothers who just kept having more children. It is for Love they dont understand and she needs medical attention. Look her own mother is leaving her! Cause she cannot take it. There is too much here to ignore and if we ignore it then what life those children have is on our hands. Some one should have stoped her long ago! There needs to be financial regulations for those looking to have kids with medical assistance. Not that only the rich can but not women with NO income in a 3 bedroom house with 6 other children. We are paying for this. I was a single mother for 8 years and it took pulling teeth and hell freezing over to get assistance when i really needed it cause people like this are sucking the system dry!

Susan  February 3, 2009, 2:08 PM

This is a medical & ethical question as well as a social one. It has been reported that the mother has never been married and yet has 14 children. If she is wealthy and can support all 14 on her own, good luck to her. If however, we the good people of California are supporting her, we need to have social services look at the situation. There should be consequences to this kind of irresponsible action both for the mother and the doctors and hospitals responsible. Inplanting eight fertilized eggs into a woman is just criminal. It isn’t good for the health of the mother or the babies.

Anonymous February 3, 2009, 6:48 PM

I think everyone should note that the welfare system has changed. There is a welfare to work program now. You have to participate in finding a job in order to get public assistance unless you have a doctor’s exemption. Also there is a cap on the amount you can get and it is not much. Also housing is limited. I know the county I stay in housing is closed. I know this because I am a single mom who has supported my son for 16 years on my own. I have worked since I was 15. Now at 36 I am on disability and it’s hard to get benefits because of all the law changes. It’s not as easy as people think to get public assistance so dont be quick to say it’s for welfare purposes. I agree it use to be easy to get assistance but now it’s not. The law has changed and it’s hard to get any benefits including but not limited to workers comp, disability, social security.

Lola February 3, 2009, 11:55 PM

I agree with this and with Jill. The government does encourage and will support these ‘baby factories’. The more kids you have, the more breaks you get..so there’s some kind of balance there..for those who pop out a bunch of babies, that is. It can’t be illegal though. But there should be a middle ground. Instead of being like China and limit to two kids (which is not so bad)..the government should limit the forced Public’s Assistance to support just two kids only per horny woman. Fertility treatments should be gauged by the ‘medical professional’ just as they counsel before plastic surgery to make sure you don’t have mental issues &/or “addictions” .

Lola February 4, 2009, 12:38 AM

The Pleasure of Pregnancy? Oneself’s satisfaction of raising oneself’s child Oneself’s joy of raising and taking care of your own child?(that’s a given, you should take care of it) popping out a bunch of babies is a selfish act and an addiction of sort,regardless of your income..just because people coo and get happy for you it doesn’t mean it’s not an addiction. would you tell a heroine addict she looks nice and thin? No..but an overdose of babies..’aaww, the lord has blessed you for the 14th time it’s a miracle’..but hey, if it makes YOU feel good, then it’s not really a bad thing if you do it more than 10 times is it? Stop calling it a blessing and a miracle. .If two able-bodied people of opposite sex get together and mate, there will be a baby. A duckbill platypus can do it too. A miracle, is when an infertile couple can make their first child against all odds.Horny addicted loser and your husband’s your enabler.

Carrie February 4, 2009, 6:21 AM

This single mother is wanting 2 Million to tell her story. In this economy, will it only set a trend for women to have “multiple” births so they too can become rich at the sake of having babies.

These babies deserve better and I agree she will need money to support them, condoning her actions by paying her is not the answer. Her poor decision should not be supported by the media.

Kenny J February 4, 2009, 7:47 AM

I just became a father 3 weeks ago and I its hard with one! She has 14! She has no husband or man in her life because all 14 were in vitro fertilization. Not only is she irresponsible, she is plain stupid. No job, no house, no money… What is she thinking?

Kenny J February 4, 2009, 7:47 AM

furios February 6, 2009, 2:46 AM

I am furios! For those people that said stop complaining and offer assistance! These people have been offered assistance in the form of GOVERNMENT aid! How does this woman afford 14 KIDS!? I can’t barely afford ONE! I am a Labor and Delivery RN and the majority (98% on our hospital stats) of our clients we deliver are on Medi-cal and CANNOT afford these kids they bring into this world. Most also have no husbands! I have seen it! We are paying for all these kids. ALL they want are FREE items to take home with them including car seats, formula, and diapers.

Not to mention the developmental problems that grand mutiple births face! Low birth weight and these octuplets continue to be in the NICU today. So who is paying for that?

Furious

dave February 6, 2009, 8:08 AM

to al those rushing to the defense of this young lady….perhaps a little research is in order on your part.it’s widely reported that she is single!widely reported that all 14 kids were NOT conceived naturaly!widely reported that the father was a “FRIEND”,and the sperm “donor”!widely reported that the grandmother was not happy, and would not be there for her return and would not be taking care of her kids!yes if it turns out that she is wealthy(and she may soon be)with all the hoopla surrounding her,talk shows,reality shows,books and the like,then more power to her.however it has also been said by the mother herself that this all stems from childhood loneliness,and from childhood always obsessed with having babies…..sounds like a great reason to have 14!!!

rebecca February 6, 2009, 1:34 PM

“We’ve evolved as a society?!” To limit the number of children a woman can have or force abortions on multiple births is “evolved”? Therefore China is on a higher level of social evolution in regards to human rights than the US? We have no right to turn like vicious dogs on this one family. There are a lot of people in America in financial trouble, declaring bankruptcy, and receiving financial assistance, why select this one family to vent your outrage on? Is it because she bore eight children at once? What if it would have been seven? What if it would have been four? No one would have ever heard of her. She is not killing her children, she’s raising them, and she will have a hard enough time, without all of the vicious outrage against her. And, whoever said that she was just living with her parents to be a burden, not because they want to help with her children, doesnt have a clue what they are talking about. In a large family, it is very common for extended family especially parents and grandparents to live together and support eachother. Thank God she at least has them.

shameka camel February 6, 2009, 2:29 PM

LEAVE THAT WOMAN ALONE! IF SHE ISNT ALLOWED TO HAVE THE AMOUNT OF CHILDRTEN THAT SHE WANTS THEN ARE U SAYING THAT THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD STEP IN AND ISSUE A PREGNANCY LICENSE FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO HAVE CHILDREN! THATS JUST PLAIN CRAZY IT IS A HUMANS JOB TO PROCREATE AND FOR THOSE THAT R AGAINST HER HAVING KIDS THAN MAYB U SHOULD MINE YOUR OWN BUISNESS AND CTAY OUT OF HERS THIS IS AMERICA NOT CHINA AND SHE SHOULD BE ABLE TO HAVE AN ARMY OF CHILDREN IF SHE WANTS TO AS LONG AS SHE CAN TAKE CARE OF THEM AND NO ONE ACTUALLY KNOWS THIS WOMEN AND WHETHER SHE CAN TAKE CARE OF HER CHILDREN SO UNLESS UR GOING TO HELP STOP BLOGING ABOUT STUFF U KNOW NOTHING ABOUT AND GET A LIFE!

Furios February 7, 2009, 1:56 AM

For those that defend this lady. We are simply stating that if we LET THIS BEHAVIOR CONTINUE then many more will follow and this will be the norm!!! This is not natural! The problems that a woman face with multiple births pose a health problem. Decent OB/GYN doctors won’t even take a woman who has had over 4 or so cesarean sections! All her kids were 1 or 2 pounders. THIS IS AMERICA WHERE WE AS RESPONSIBLE AMERICANS MAY POST OUR RIGHT OF FREE SPEECH. You say have an army if she can take care of them? HOW CAN YOU REALLY PROVIDE QUALITY INTERACTION WITH 14 KIDS? OBVIOUSLY SHE CANNOT FINANCICALLY TAKE CARE OF THEM, That’s why she in on public assiatance! What about when they grow up, do you really know what kind of developmental problems they will have? Do your research on low birth weight babies, multiple births, etc etc.

Many patients I take care of (labor and delivery nurse) like I stated before are on Medi-cal and all I see from them are Louis Vuitton, Coach, manicured nails, lap tops, and high tech gadgets including a BMW or some big SUV when I wheel them out. So all of that while being on government assistance? I understand NOT all are like that but from what I have seen MOST surely are! All I can do is continue to do my best and when I hear something like this OCTUPLET thing then how can you really say be sympathetic?

This woman needs help, social service is needed to go to her house and evaluate how she is going to provide for these kids. BUT IM SURE SOMEONE WILL PAY HER FOR A BOOK, FIRST PICTURES OF OCTUPLETS, TALK SHOW… SOMETHING. I WONT BE SURSPRISED IF EXTREME MAKEOVER MAKES HER AN EXTREME GRAND HOUSE.

MAYBE I SHOULD JUST BE THE FIRST PERSON TO HAVE 10 KIDS!!!!!! ALL AT ONCE!!!! WOW! I CAN BE RICH AND HIRE A NANNY TO TAKE CARE OF THEM WHILE I JUST GO ON TALKSHOWS TRYING TO FIND WAYS TO PROVIDE. QUALITY CARE!!!!!

kakty February 7, 2009, 5:36 AM

It IS our concern. We’re paying for it. We are helping already. And it was a cruel and selfish thing to do. Cruel for the babies that still may die from this, and will at least suffer from neglect. Don’t think its all wrapped up yet. Seriously, I don’t understand how we aren’t all in arms about this. This is a biological Wall Street scandal, from the mom who wants to be a ‘childcare expert’ to the doctor who started this. Sigh…perhaps Madoff is the father…

stacy February 11, 2009, 3:26 PM

I have a hrd enough time raising one child, I could not imagine raising 14 children and three have disabilities and not knowing how the others are going to be. How could you bring children into world not knowing how their lives were going to be? Also, there are couples in this world that can’t have children, you should have thought about surrogacy, to help other people in the world who could afford and give what the child needs and have them all for yourself.

SAM February 12, 2009, 11:31 AM

ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF PEOPLE ABUSING THE SYSTEM. JUST LIKE BORDER HOSPITALS — 49 ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS HAVING BABIES EVERY DAY!!! ALL DRAINING OUR SOCIAL SECURITY SYSTEM! SEND THEM ALL BACK TO WHERE THEY CAME FROM. WHAT ABOUT DOCTOR WHO IMPLANTED HER??? THE OCTUPLET MOM LOOKS LIKE SHE’S HAD COSMETIC PROCECURES TOO.

The people of Cali. February 12, 2009, 11:41 PM

The government should make a law regarding this issue. 14 WOW…. You receive food stamps, and you dont have a job. Do I really have to say anything else, really…… We the people (Employed) of California are responsible for raising your children. God bless the kids its not their fault. You have some nerve, you should be ashamed. You have a mental issue and you shold seek help.

The people of California February 13, 2009, 12:00 AM

They say it will cost over 1 Million Dollars to raise the children (along with the MOM). They should have screened her mentally, and approved her to even qualify for the procedure.