Shocking Confessions of a Nanny!

A real-life nanny dishes about working in a house that employed NINE other nannies for three kids.

woman holding baby

Guest blogger Mary Poppins: No, this is not a joke. Let me introduce myself, I'm one of your many babysitters. Maybe you don't remember me because you have so many, but you trust me with your children's well-being on an hourly basis.

I got this job through my friend who told me your oldest daughter was the devil, but I didn't believe her. However, I was wrong. After a pleasant first week of babysitting for your three children, I was seriously questioning my friend's judgment because your kids were so adorable. It wasn't until week two that I realized that she was completely correct. Your children are some of the worst I have ever encountered ... but after spending time with you and your husband, I cannot really blame them.

Let's recap one particular evening that stands out in my mind. You and your husband went to dinner at the local country club. I, being the nice person I am, complimented you on your blouse. You responded by telling me you got it at Forever 21. Guess what? You are not 21, you are 35. I am 21 and I would not be caught dead in that top, if you can even call it that. The worst part was that you had your 4-year-old daughter tell you that you looked pretty. I'm so glad you are teaching your 4-year-old that pretty means wearing practically no clothes. I think that will be really great for her self-esteem as she grows up.

So you left with your husband, and I settled in to watch your kids. Your twin 10-month-olds started to scream immediately when I took them away from their "Baby Einstein" video for dinner and would not settle down until I put them back in front of the TV. Dinner went well until your 4-year-old demanded that I give her ice cream even though you told her specifically that she could not have any. When I said, "Mommy said no," she stripped out of her clothing and ran around your house screaming at the top of her lungs. This set off your twins. So now it's 7:30 PM and all of your kids are screaming. At this point, I'm thinking this is so not worth the hourly wage I am getting. But I settle your children down with the promise of a board game and pacifiers.

Your daughter takes me to your room to get the game and points to the wall. "Isn't Mommy pretty?" she asks. I look up and see photographs of you ... NAKED! To say I was shocked would be an understatement. I was speechless. You have naked pictures of yourself plastered all around your room. Maybe if you had said your room was off-limits, I would understand, but you told me that is where all the play things are and I should feel free to go in there. G.R.O.S.S. I don't know how I will ever look at you again. I'm appalled.

You and your husband come home and ask how the kids were. Before I can say anything, you ask: "Were they brats tonight?" Well, since you apparently know they act out, I tell you the truth. "Yes, your children were brats tonight." You shrug and say: "I know. That is why we have 10 nannies and babysitters. I don't want to burn you guys out too quickly". Oh. My. God. What do I say to this? How do I respond? You know your kids are bad and you just don't care? What in the world is wrong with you?

next: Your Man is Talking to His Exes
Wendi January 26, 2009, 10:58 AM

If I were that babbysitter, I would never return. That is a SAD excuse for a mother.

Anonymous January 26, 2009, 12:09 PM

why do people like this woman HAVE CHILDREN! there are truly some people who should NOT!

jo January 26, 2009, 12:19 PM

I would never go back again since they know their kids are brats maybe they need to spend more time with them and get to the reason why they are acting out so bad. Some kids act out because mom/dad dont spend enough time with them.

Liz January 26, 2009, 12:19 PM

This would drive Nanny Jo to drink…a lot.

Vicki January 26, 2009, 12:25 PM

You’re there to babysit, not to judge the families who are paying you top dollar to watch their children - shut up, watch the kids and take the money!

Anonymous January 26, 2009, 12:41 PM

you’re very judgemental…you’re story does not even seem that bad. You seem like you’re a spoiled brat. Grow up…yu don’t have to bash a family over the internet just because things didn’t go so smoothly for you.

sue January 26, 2009, 1:04 PM

How can you not help but notice things when you are in someone’s home for a few hours? And it certainly seems like the parents either need a full-time nanny to take over the rearing of their children, or should spend some quality time parenting themselves instead of “burning out” babysitters.

mummy peach January 26, 2009, 1:54 PM

whomever wrote this sounds like a judgmental, horrible person. You are there to look after the kids and if they had twins I would imagine they would find it quite a handful to look after - which is why they employ you!

I cannot believe you have a problem with nudity - how do you think you were born, wrapped in plastic?

You sound like a spiteful and nasty person who gives nannies a bad name. I feel very sorry for the people who entrusted you - they needed help not your unkindness and rudeness.

I have one son but I would never ask someone like you to even hold him for a minute, I bet you have no kids of your own huh?

Dreadful story. Dreadful sounding person writing it.

Chloe January 26, 2009, 2:42 PM

Oh dear - a hilarious story…and unfortunately, far too often, so true. It really makes me wonder if the new generation of young parents can even be called parents? To think that she called her own children brats and then didn’t seem to care that they were, in fact, misbehaving does a disservice not only to the nanny but to the children themselves!

Anonymous January 26, 2009, 9:53 PM

HIlarious article that unfortunately is too true of many parents. Burning out babysitters means that your children are awful and need to be taught how to behave. These poor children probably haven’t spent enough time with their parents and therefore try to get attention any way that they can. Its very unfortunate when you have to sit for a family like this, I feel your pain.

Michelle January 26, 2009, 10:15 PM

All of you people that are critisizing this article are taking it wayyyy too seriously! It’s obviously meant to be a funny opinion piece on how crazy nannying has become. Regardless of judging the parents or not (although I agree they sound like terrible parents) it was an enjoyable piece to read and I laughed out loud.

Laslo January 26, 2009, 11:55 PM

This is really funny, and only too true when it comes to babysitting. I can totally relate!

Janice January 27, 2009, 7:16 AM

Why headline this self-proclaimed babysitter as a nanny? I’m so sick of nanny-bashing!

Bridget January 27, 2009, 7:59 PM

Babysitters should not have to put up with this stuff, and the parents should be ashamed. Naked pictures of yourself on the wall?? Just plain weird!

Rachel January 28, 2009, 3:02 PM

As a professional in the nanny industry, I can sympathize with this sitter’s situation…However, it is unprofessional and inappropriate to divulge details about a work related experience, not to mentions a breach of confidentiality of the family. Professional nannies and sitters do not act out in retaliation this way, it reflects poorly on you just as much, if not more so, than the family you speak of.

Joyce January 29, 2009, 12:04 AM

This would be a good opportunity to be a positive influence in the life of a family that seems to need a little help. Also, I agree, that when we take on a position, unless it is something that’s legally or morally wrong going on, we are in confidence to help and not put another person’s laundry out in public. That is what I hate about these new talk shows, etc. It’s ruined TV for us old timers.

Lisa February 1, 2009, 8:12 AM

A real nanny would not work in a house with nine other caregivers.

We would know that the children would be confused about what this person would be like and test the boundaries.

A professional nanny would know how to handle transitions from TV time to meals, and how to better manage a tantrum than what happened. It’s what we train ourselves to do.

kanara February 3, 2009, 9:59 AM

hey mommy is not perfect.
lets stop being so hard on her.

i think some parents have to find the balance it raising their kids and lessting someone else do the job for them.

remember, if you dont dicipline your child someone else eventually will and you probably wont like it.

you have to decide if it will be you at an early age or let it end up being the department of corrections 15 years downthe line…

good luck parenting aint easy!

Madison March 4, 2009, 12:11 PM

I was a nanny for thirteen years. Your depictions of parents and their children is more than accurate. The children, in most cases, are wonderful, but the parents are insane people. Now that I am a mother, I cannot believe the atrocities that I saw over the years. Good for you for having a sense of humor - I am still learning how to laugh about it.

Bialy September 4, 2009, 3:30 PM

Sorry. The first duty of a leader is to make himself be loved without courting love. To be loved without ‘playing up’ to anyone - even to himself.
I am from Slovenia and too poorly know English, please tell me right I wrote the following sentence: “Accept mastercard, sometimes, proactive company boundaries and a deal while brundle was showing managed the variety out of the license.”

Thank you very much ;-). Bialy.