momlogic: Is this a diet moms can easily follow and incorporate into their hectic schedule?
Dr. Ian: This is an extremely easy diet for moms to follow for three major reasons. First, the food is very inexpensive. You don't have to purchase gourmet food or organic food. If you want to purchase these foods, fine, but you don't have to.You can shop at any convenient grocery store and get the foods you need. Second, this is a program the entire family can follow. So often the parents go on a diet and the children are left to eat other food, which typically isn't healthy, because of the inconvenience of preparing two meals. With the 4 Day Diet, the entire family can enjoy the healthy recipes. Third, moms are extremely busy and often find themselves short on time to get everything done in the course of the day. Well, with The 4 Day Diet, the foods are extremely convenient, the diet is easy to follow, and the vast majority of the meals can be cooked in 30 minutes or less.
ML: Tell us the top five things about the 4-day diet.
This is not a program where you have to count calories or worry about a complicated food regimen. Everything is spelled out very clearly and in a way that is quite convenient for someone who often finds they are short on time.
2. Food Variety.
With all of the different foods that you can eat on The 4 Day Diet, you never get bored or feel like you're always eating the same thing. One of the major reasons why people tend to drop off of diets is they get tired of eating the same foods. Well, this is not the case with The 4 Day Diet. There are so many options when it comes to the food that you get excited that you can eat tasty foods in a much healthier manner.
3. Strengthens Your Mind.
Few, if any diet books talk about the mental aspect of dieting. Unfortunately, this is a missed opportunity since dieting is 80% mental and 20% physical. The 4 Day Diet is really two books in one. The first half of the book helps you with the mental aspect. Finding motivation, staying motivated, setting realistic goals, understanding stress eating, understanding emotional eating, resisting temptation -- these are just a few of the things you'll learn in the early chapters. When you finish these chapters, you'll be ready to do the program and you'll be more prepared for many of the difficulties you might encounter on the way.
4. NO calorie counting.
That's right, on The 4 Day Diet I have done all of the calorie counting for you. All you have to do is follow the guidelines of the food lists that are present in each of the modules. Counting calories is difficult even for experts, so why waste your time doing something that will likely be inaccurate anyway? You can count calories on the back of food packages, let's say if you're eating a snack, but trying to do it for many of your meals can be cumbersome. I've made it easy -- you don't have to count at all!
5. Real Food Allowed.
So many diets are extremely restrictive and never allow you to have comfort foods or those great snacks that we all love so much. I believe in being realistic. To think that someone is going to go the rest of their life not eating a slice of pizza or fries or cookies, is ridiculous. When you tell people they can never have something, they only want it that much more. On The 4 Day Diet there is a module called the Smooth Module, where you can eat all of those foods that are forbidden on other programs. You learn how to eat these foods in moderation so that you can still enjoy them, but not overindulge.
ML: How is this diet different from all the others?
Dr. Ian: The 4 Day Diet is a modular eating plan. The 4 Day Diet involves a revolutionary way of eating that has produced tremendous results in those who have tried it. The diet is broken up into 4-day modules. These modules all have a theme and a purpose. There are seven in total:
Transition (to reintroduce all food groups)
Protein Stretch (to avoid plateaus)
Smooth (when you can have some formerly forbidden foods like pizza and French fries)
Push (the sprint just before the final stretch, back to a stricter eating plan)
Pace (a comfortable module for you to catch your breath)
Vigorous (the final module to lose those last few pounds)
The beauty of this eating plan is that every four days you are changing your eating style. One of the biggest complaints about most diets is that the food becomes boring after eating the same thing over and over. Not on The 4 Day Diet. You NEVER get bored because there's so much variety and flexibility in the food choices. Just think, every four days you can eat in an entirely different fashion. You will have no problems following this program. Just think -- YOU CAN DO ANYTHING FOR JUST 4 DAYS.
ML: How much weight can you lose?
Dr. Ian: People lose weight differently even on the same diet. Weight loss can be a very unique experience when it comes to how fast, how much, and how long one is able to lose those stubborn pounds. However, the average weight loss for a month on the 4 Day Diet is approximately 12 pounds. Some have lost as much as 16, but this really depends on the individual. I have one person who had been on many diets in the past without success. She finally came to me for help and I put her on The 4 Day Diet. In a matter of 6 months she lost close to 65 pounds, which is a tremendous success.
ML: What are five important things to remember while dieting?
1. There will be difficult moments when you might not lose as much as you expected or you're frustrated with your progress. This is completely normal, but definitely not a reason to give up. When you expect a few bumps in the road, you're more prepared to handle them when they appear.
2. Try to diet with a buddy. Research has shown that the buddy system is extremely helpful in helping dieters stick to the program and obtain results. You can pick up your buddy when he/she is down and vice versa. It's also helpful to have someone who's going through what you're going through so you can share ideas and solutions.
3. Exercise is an important component to any effective dieting program. You don't have to go to the gym for hours on end, but you really should incorporate some type of physical activity into your daily regimen. Not only will this increase the amount of weight you lose, but it will help you keep it off permanently. Beyond dieting, exercising is so critical for achieving your best health. It helps with many medical conditions such as heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes just to name a few.
4. A diet program is only as good as how good you are at following it as written. The 4 Day Diet is a great program that has and will help a lot of people, but if you don't follow it and veer too far off course, you will not see the results you want.
5. No two people lose weight the same way. Don't compare yourself with someone else as far as how fast or slow you lose weight. Our bodies are different and they lose weight differently, even on the same diet program. Understand your own body and its process of losing weight. Staying in tuned with what you do and not using someone else as a standard prevents a lot of angst and disappointment.
ML: What is 50millionpounds.com ?
Dr. Ian: This is the website of the national weight loss campaign I started. It is completely FREE and offers all kinds of wonderful weight loss tools that can get you going on your program. You can read about The 4 Day Diet on this program and you can join some of the more than 16,000 teams that are currently on the site. You can also start your own team and invite others to join. We have testimonials that you can read and post comments to on our blog as well as an electronic journal and activity tracker that you can use to help lose weight. This site is a one-stop shopping site to lose weight, have fun, and get support.