ADHD Drugs Can Cause Hallucinations in Some Kids

adhdhall270.jpg

Reuters: Drugs for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder can cause children to have hallucinations even when taken as directed, U.S. government researchers said on Monday.

U.S. Food and Drug Administration researchers analyzed data from 49 clinical studies conducted by makers of the drugs and found they can cause psychosis and mania in some patients, including some with no obvious risk factors. In some cases, children hallucinated that worms, bugs or snakes were crawling on them.

"Patients and physicians should be aware of the possibility that psychiatric symptoms consistent with psychosis or mania" might arise in the course of treatment, Dr. Andrew Mosholder and colleagues wrote in the journal Pediatrics.

Their analysis provides fresh detail about known risks of the drugs, which include Novartis AG's Ritalin and Focalin XR, Shire Plc's Adderall XR and Daytrana patch, Johnson & Johnson's Concerta, Eli Lilly and Co's Strattera and Celltech Pharmaceuticals Inc's Metadate CD.

Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.

next: Fake Teen Cop Fools Police, Patrols Chicago for 5 Hours
Question... January 26, 2009, 1:42 PM

Someone once told me that if a person has ever been on the types of drugs that treat ADHD they can never enter the military. Supposedly this is due to the life long side effects on the brain. Does anyone know if that is true?

Sindarla May 23, 2010, 11:27 AM

I don’t know but I find this study disturbing. I got my daughter off Focalin when I found out it was Ritalin because it can lead to drug addiction later in life, particularly if they have a family history of drug abuse, my daughter’s father has issues with drugs. Now she’s on Adderall & it’s working much better & I’ve discovered other Moms who are using Adderall for their kids’ ADHD with good results as well. I guess with Any medication comes Some type of risk, but this is just Scary! And my daughter’s limited as to what meds she can take since she won’t swallow her meds yet.

Freddy Catoggio August 19, 2010, 1:43 PM

this page was exactly what i’m searching for! found this page bookmarked by a friend. I will also share it. thanks!

cheapviagra1619 August 30, 2010, 9:58 AM
Golf September 14, 2010, 10:36 AM

In related news, after his press conference admitting his indiscretions, Tiger Woods began apologizing to the women with whom he had affairs. Twelve hours later they say he barely scratched the surface.

Golf Clubs September 21, 2010, 12:40 AM

In pertaining reports, a lion would not cheat on his spouse, but a Mr. Tiger Woods Wooden.

Do It Yourself Senior Pictures November 25, 2010, 12:39 AM

I love quotations because it is a joy to find thoughts one might have, beautifully expressed with much authority by someone recognized wiser than oneself.

krep tarifi portakal agaci December 14, 2010, 12:34 AM

krep tarifi, tatli krep tarifi, sade krep tarifi, krep hamuru

Nail Polish Remover With Acetone December 15, 2010, 2:25 AM

If at first you don’t succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

Sweet Sixteen Songs For Candles January 6, 2011, 1:58 PM

The Constitution gives every American the inalienable right to make a damn fool of himself.

zebra print beach towel January 14, 2011, 11:41 PM

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it’s a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Keith January 17, 2011, 4:10 PM

Seems like every drug advertised on TV has a ton of possible side affects. Plus all the commercials from attorneys telling you to contact them if you had problems with a certain drug. I’m afraid to get any subscriptions anymore!

Verizon FiOS Availability

squamous cell cancer January 21, 2011, 6:21 PM

Squamous cell skin cancer is the most second kind of carcinoma in the world.

Elizabeth January 29, 2011, 4:52 PM

Oh man, now i’m lucky I happened to find this site. Seeing this made me research the information on my isp, AT&T, which I now see is pretty expensive in comparison to a lot of others.

Stanford Linke February 11, 2011, 4:56 AM

You are a very capable person!

Danyel Israel March 17, 2011, 8:25 AM

Great log you’ve occupy

Ross E. Kelly March 25, 2011, 4:01 AM

Interesting

Tom A. Callahan March 25, 2011, 5:34 AM

Intriguing

auto approve scrapebox list March 29, 2011, 1:27 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

Gladys E. West March 29, 2011, 4:12 PM