Another Ad Campaign Featuring NUDE Kids!

Urban Outfitters is featuring completely naked girls in their latest catalog. We are so over it.

Nudity in fashion advertising, especially geared towards our teens and tweens, has become annoyingly overdone. How many more times will advertising campaigns try to capitalize on young, half naked (or in this case, naked) girls? Aren't they trying to sell clothes? In Urban Outfitters latest catalog, they list the clothes available, but the models aren't modeling anything -- they're naked! So, Abercrombie and Fitch, American Apparel and Urban, we want you to know: We're over this, and we're not letting our kids buy your clothes. How do you like them apples (pun very much intended)?

next: Taggies Sleep'n Play Baby Garments Recalled
c$ January 14, 2009, 3:56 PM

what’s the pun?

birdsfly January 14, 2009, 4:36 PM

What teens and tweens can afford UO? I’m in my mid 20’s and love their clothes but won’t buy because the price tags are rediculous.

Frank January 14, 2009, 4:38 PM

Weird, I always thought 23 year olds like that girl in the American Apparel ad’s were adults, not kids…. I guess it depends on how sheltered people are?

Kirstie January 14, 2009, 9:24 PM

AA is a more adult-oriented store to begin with. It’s certainly not geared towards “tweens” (a phrase I really think I loathe) and not really even to teens. My college age - 19/20 year olds - shop there, and they’re all old enough to deal with nudity.

Same with UO - maybe even more so because of the insanely high price tags!

Deez January 15, 2009, 8:54 AM

I’ve never seen a ‘tween’ in on of their stores — The store caters to affluent college kids and post-grads in their 20s anyways.

The UO shots as compared to the AA ads are very tasteful. Get over it and stop being so ashamed of your body.

chauncey billups January 15, 2009, 9:15 AM

about 80% of 18-26 year old girls i know love to hang around their house topless, pantless, naked, because of how comfortable it is for them. the other 20% have been told their entire lives how disgusting their natural nude bodies are and how ashamed they should be off them. they can’t walk around their house naked, because they married the first guy they had sex with/got pregnant by, and now have to raise a half dozen kids.
sidenote: UO models are generally 21-26 years old. hardly kids.
also: i can guarantee your tweens own at least one piece of UO clothing and they have a shopping cart FULL of schtuff on UO.com

Some French Fashion Doosh January 15, 2009, 9:26 AM

boy, i hope you never walk into a library or even a barnes & noble. they’re geared to people of all ages AND they have books full of naked people! they’re called Art books. i think Urban’s trying to artisticly sell a certain lifestyle/image in this catalog. i think they’re trying to say “hey, it’s cool, let loose. don’t get so hung up on stupid sh*t (like wearing clothes or hating your body) because these clothes would look great on your body. care about REAL things like change and buy this Obama tee”

lipstick bulldog golly gee meth head January 15, 2009, 9:42 AM

oh golly gee, dontcha know! i betcha golly gee, joe six pack! pallin’ around with terrorists, i can see russia from my house! golly gee, you betcha! i read all magazines. i’m a momma grizzly! a pitbull wit lipstick,

lipstick bulldog golly gee meth head January 15, 2009, 9:43 AM

oh golly gee, dontcha know! i betcha golly gee, joe six pack! pallin’ around with terrorists, i can see russia from my house! golly gee, you betcha! i read all magazines. i’m a momma grizzly! a pitbull with lipstick, you betcha!

dumbdumb January 15, 2009, 12:05 PM

apparently, you’re not “so over it”, because you’re blogging about it.

i beg you to PLEASE tell me where the intended pun is.

Anonymous January 15, 2009, 2:43 PM

wow, ya got my vote for “MOST OVERLY DRAMATIC AND MISLEADING BLOG TITLE”. NUDE Kids! I woulda gone with NUDE Adults! See what you did? Now you gone and woke Chris Hansen!

JB February 6, 2009, 9:43 PM

I think these people are adults, but the ad is targeting a young, very young adult crowd. I think we need to evaluate why we’re trying to be sold clothing by a naked individual. If they were selling skincare, it would make more sense. I mean is the clothing so pricey that I can only afford the pants, hence going topless?
It just doesn’t make sense.

Jessica February 11, 2009, 8:57 AM

This is so upsetting! Kids! When I was their age, I was being a “kid” and everyone wonders why these children rush everything..think about the message this sends to all kids?
Disgusting!

Jess

Tina March 11, 2009, 2:06 PM

I don’t know the age of their models, but let’s not assume they are adults. Girls who “look 20-ish” in the modeling world are typically 13-19, so yeah it’s a little creepy. But, there is nothing too suggestive about that picture in and of itself. What I have more problem accepting are the male manequins and posters triple-life-sized that show the pubis right up to where there should be hair on a mature male without waxing… I am NOT a conservative person or a prude, but this extreme closeup shot of only the bottom half of a torso leaves no doubt they are trying to sell with sex and only sex… It’s just ridiculous.

And let me repeat, I am NOT a prude nor am I sheltered. I like my body, I like male bodies, but there is a limit to what should be shoved down our throats and innundate our youth. There absolutely is a reason that kids are pushed into adult behavior early. To help prevent this, there needs to be education coming from parents. But, if we accept this clearly extreme sexual soliciting, we should not be surprised of the consequences.

Make your voice heard, complain to mall management wherever you spend your hard-earned dollars!

jessica p. March 18, 2009, 7:51 PM

“about 80% of 18-26 year old girls i know love to hang around their house topless, pantless, naked, because of how comfortable it is for them.”

REALLY, chauncey? 80%, you say? sounds like you’ve done some pretty thorough polling! i’d love to know exactly how many of these ladies you know - and how in the world would you know how often they are topless or pantless (an dwho says “pantless”)? it sounds like you’re living in some sort of animal house/playboy mansion fantasy, buddy, in which - um, women, cause that’s what we are by the time we’re 26 - roam around their houses naked on the regular. i bet you know a lot of 18-26 year old “girls” who have naked pillow fights with their friends, too.

kelly April 15, 2009, 8:59 PM

Chauncey, you dont know what you are talking about.

Vergie Datson December 30, 2010, 12:47 AM

Hey there I am keeping getting a technical issue using your site, I’m getting 401 messages really frequently, I’m not far too clear regarding why but once I reload the web page it comes alright.

GRE prep January 1, 2011, 10:49 AM

Hi I’m experiencing a trouble using your web site, I am receiving 505 errors quite often, I’m not extremely clear regarding why but once I refresh the web page it comes alright.

Jenji_H January 2, 2011, 7:40 PM

Well they’re NOT “naked” - topless is not nude - plus she’s not showing anything… there’s nothing wrong with such ads. Prudes need to get over it! My kids wear much less around the house and yard.

Credit Services March 22, 2011, 9:49 AM

I do know this isn’t precisely on topic, however i have a website online using the identical program as nicely and i am getting troubles with my comments displaying. is there a setting i am lacking? it’s attainable you could help me out? thanx.