Monster Truck Rallies: Unsafe for Kids!

Two people have died in the last 10 days ... why are parents still taking their kids to these shows?

Monster Truck

Guest blogger Gina: A 41-year-old monster truck show promoter (and father of two) was killed Saturday night at one of his own monster truck shows in Wisconsin, a week after a 6-year-old boy died and a man was injured in a monster truck event in Washington.

On Friday, that same promoter had been touting the safety of his event: "This is our 16th year, and I wish I had a big piece of wood to knock on right now, but we have not had an incident besides a gal slipping in the aisle at another location. That's been all."

He was the third person to be hurt or killed at a monster truck event in a one-week period.

On Jan. 16 at the Tacoma Dome, 6-year-old Sebastian Hizey of Puyallup died after he was struck in the head by a Frisbee-sized chunk of metal that tore off a truck doing doughnuts during the Monster Jam show.

Another man seated nearby also was seriously injured when he was hit by a chunk of flying debris from the same truck.

And they didn't even stop that show after the boy was killed. Can you imagine?

Kids should not be allowed into Monster Truck rallies. Period. They can't get into Rated R movies before age 17 ... why should they be allowed into a stadium full of big trucks and drunks, where they could get killed? A scary movie isn't going to kill them, yet we protect kids from that.

There's something wrong with the system!

But, if you ARE going to allow kids in (after all, what will the rednecks do with their kids on the weekends otherwise), there needs to be some more safety regulations in place.

1. There should be a glass barrier between the trucks and crowd ... just they have at hockey games. Isn't a flying piece of a car more dangerous than a hockey puck?

2. Children in the stands should be required to wear helmets. I know this sounds extreme, but a helmet could have saved little Sebastian's life. We make 'em wear them on bikes ... why not at Monster Truck rallies, too? They're WAY more dangerous!

3. Kids should not be allowed in the front sections, where the risk of getting struck is greater.

4. They need to have WAY MORE medics on staff. It reportedly took an agonizing 15 minutes to reach Sebastian.

If it was up to me, they would stop having these monster truck rallies altogether. They're NOT a safe or "family-friendly" environment. And what purpose does it serve to drive big trucks around until they break, anyway? I just don't get it.

Do you think monster truck rallies are safe for kids?

next: Crushes Then ... and Now!
Anonymous January 27, 2009, 11:38 PM

Just remember kids you can not play ball anymore because we are afraid that that ball may hurt you…….. You must be the time out people and wonder why your kids grow up and wanting to get away with murder!

Anonymous January 27, 2009, 11:39 PM

Well Said Chicken!!!! I can’t say anything more then all you have said!!!

Anonymous January 27, 2009, 11:47 PM

I do not think you even thought what you were typeing in this article. Take your child’s video game away too because they may grow up wanting to kill everything. Parents NO MORE TIME OUTS! Smack your kids like our parents did to us! At least I know the difference between RIGHT AND WRONG and our kids should know too. They have to learn that there is things that can happen we can not hide them from the world that we live in like house cats. It is just not right. Monster trucks are not just for rednecks but us fans love monster trucks and it is a shame that 2 unrelated accidents took place this last week but they are not the same! Monster truck shows are safe……shoot you could be anywhere and something could happen to you and that is why the word ACCIDENT was invented!

Anonymous January 27, 2009, 11:48 PM

I’ve been coming to Mom Logic for a while and I must say this is the first time I’ve been shocked by what I’ve read.

I’ve been taking my kids to the shows for 5 years now. My 6 year old daughter has a design picked out for her truck and firesuit for when she’s old enough to drive.

We’ve been to big shows, small shows and everything in between. Not to mention we have many friends in the sport.

The last 2 weekends have had horrible ACCIDENTS. Thats just it, an accident. I feel safer at a monster truck show than I do in my own car.

I must say the redneck comment I find hilarious considering I’m a city girl through and through.

Has anyone stopped to think about what would have happened had they stopped the Tacoma show. Granted most people didn’t know what was going on. But imagine this…they stop the show, that sends a mass of 10,000 or more pissed off people out into the parking lot. Then how is the ambulance supposed to get out? Where they were at in the show there was maybe 30 minutes left in the show. If that much. Finishing the show was the best thing they could have done to make sure the ambulance could leave.

Personally I think people should know what actually happened before forming such a shallow and ignorant opinion. All you know is what the media tells you. Let me tell you first hand that the media doesn’t even know half of what they are talking about with the Tacoma show. Seriously.

I also have to agree with Chicken. Where’s the long posts about how dangerous cars are? Or dogs? Or sports?

Member of the Monster Truck industry January 27, 2009, 11:49 PM

“1. There should be a glass barrier between the trucks and crowd … just they have at hockey games. Isn’t a flying piece of a car more dangerous than a hockey puck?”

-Yes, a piece of a flying car/debris is more dangerous however it is an extremely rare occurrence. I’ve worked over 100 monster truck events in the last five years and never have I seen any kind of debris or car parts make it into a crowd. The safety holds present at most monster truck events are there for your protection.

“2. Children in the stands should be required to wear helmets. I know this sounds extreme, but a helmet could have saved little Sebastian’s life. We make ‘em wear them on bikes … why not at Monster Truck rallies, too? They’re WAY more dangerous!”

-Please tell me where you got that statistic at because it’s completely false. According to the NHTSA in 2007 alone there were 698 fatalities due to bicycle accidents. In over 30 years of monster truck events there’s been only to my knowledge 5 actual fatalities. Try to find another motor sport with as strong of a safety record.

Gina, please before you bring fear to a large audience know what you’re writing about. Not basing your writing off of factual information is not only irresponsible but shows a great lack of journalistic integrity.

JFR_Fan January 28, 2009, 12:02 AM

Ok, here is my .02cents on this situation.. If you have been around Monster Trucks for a long time, you would know that back in the 1980’s when the sport really took off, it was more dangerous. The trucks these days are modern art pieces.. They are reealy safe. The accident this weekend was a total accident. The Driver of the truck was going back to the pits as the announcer/owner had his back turned to the monster truck. The driver didnt see him. For me being a fan of monster trucks and drag racing, it will get safer as they are doing with the NHRA after Eric Medlen’s crash

Jeff January 28, 2009, 12:44 AM

If it were up to me,people like this blogger wouldn’t have access to the internet so they couldn’t write such incorrect drivel.

Anon January 28, 2009, 1:06 AM

Oh, and people like you created the so called “system” which should be abolished

Tom January 28, 2009, 1:13 AM

This Westeria resident needs to go get their husband, boyfriend, girlfriend, whatever some Enzyte and spend their time more constructively.

Sorry, but minors are able to watch R rated movies when their parents/domestic partners don’t care what their kinds watch. And I’m sure some of the video games these zombies are playing are worse than R movies. And society bellies up to the bar to kill each other over having the so called “first” game bought in their town. YAWN!!

Let these kids go to monster truck shows. Then the kids will get mechanically motivated and fix their parent’s/domestic partner’s car(s) for free.

BTW, a plane crash landed recently, better keep kids off airplanes too as they are not at the age of making the right decisions!

Nikki January 28, 2009, 1:42 AM

I can’t beleive I am reading this. You sound like a snob. The other MT Fans said it all.

Get your head out of your butt.

Shawn January 28, 2009, 1:43 AM

I love how it is soo easy to find out the writer of this article and contact them! :-) Thanks MomLogic.com, YOU really know how to develop a logical site! Now, go clip some coupons and get ready for your 10am shopper spree at Target, Publix, CVS, Walgreens, and the other stores in your town while you TiVo Maury, Oprah, Dr. Phil, and more while you return to your cave.

Anonymous January 28, 2009, 1:57 AM

First off I feel for all 3 familys, but the redneck gimmic is stupid. Acually by saying that monster truck fans and familys are rednecks, that makes you infact a ignorant jerk. Lay off the vicodin and vodka for a while so you can step off you high horse, and then realize that accidents happen in life. Now I will list my reponses to the statements you have made.

1. yea the glass would sound good in theroy, but I do not know if it would solve anything.

2.Helmets?? well since I guess you took your time to look up the facts on knowing that no matter what a helmet will save you. I know for a fact that 3 people in my life have been in some sort of an accident with a helmet on, and still recived head trama and died. It is not a cure.

3.Its you duty as a parent to make decisions, if I want to allow my kid to sit up front and enjoy something, its my God givin right, just like its your right to shelter your kids.

4.Now yes its sad it took 15 min. for him to get medical attention, but put this into thought. Once the medics got word that there was someone hurt, I am sure they went into action to get to him. Now also take into account the time it took for them to get the call, and then the time it took for them to get through the sea of people, that I am sure was gathered around the poor kid.

I know I am being harsh, but I am tired of people blaming accidents on other people. Accept the fact that it was an accident. I know that won’t help the familys out any, but I am sure one day they will understand. Also I am by far a religious person, but I will always remember something my grandmother told me about death when I was young. ” God has a plan for everyone, and when its your time to go meet him, its your time. He takes young and old people to meet him, its in his plan.” Now that may be wrong, but how many people are going to go out on a limb and say their grandma was wrong about anything? I know I wouldn’t

Nagi January 28, 2009, 2:01 AM

The first thing I want to point out is that deaths such as these are RARE. It would be generous of me to say that there have been MAYBE ten deaths related to the sport in its entire thirty years of existence (most of which having come well before the application of modern safety standards). The fact that we had even ONE death, much less two in a fortnight, has caused just about the entire industry to go into Panic Mode about where things failed and how to fix them.

Secondly, ‘redneck?’ That’s a little bit of a low blow at the fans, isn’t it? As a college educated art major with nary the slightest trace of a Southern accent, would you call me a ‘redneck’ just for being a fan of this sport? Fans come from all walks of life, not just one simple stereotype (given the popularity of monster trucks in Europe, I’d love to see you point out a British redneck to me), but then you would be too narrow-minded to pay much attention to that.

Lastly, as to points 3 and 4 of your article, technically there is no “front section” of seats at a monster truck event; they almost always rope the first five or more rows off as one of the dozens of safety measures put into place. And the medical staff’s slow reaction at Tacoma, to my recollection, was more an issue with the stadium’s staff, not the event promoter’s staff.

The ICE-MAN January 28, 2009, 2:02 AM

oh and in response to the Mr. Chicken dude……….

TESTIFY!!!!!

Anonymous January 28, 2009, 2:47 AM

This blog got me so mad!!!!! Lock your children up in a rubber room because that is the best place for them. Life and death is a part of the human life. I wish no one harm but someone needs a reality check. To the main Blogger Gina……..who the heck are you to say what you said princess. Talking about what Rednecks will do. Unreal that is almost being raciest because I know a lot of people who are not rednecks and love monster trucks……..so boo hoo to you Gina!

TTK January 28, 2009, 3:21 AM

Have you ever been to at show I highly doubt it!!! You are one of the ignorant people that doesn’t know what you’re talking about, but don’t let that stop you. I NEVER under estimate the power of stupidity.

A Vey Angry MT Fan January 28, 2009, 6:58 AM

Let me tell you something Miss Accuse, I’ve been to 9 of these my entire life since I was 8-9 years old. I’ll tell you, I’ve only seen one drunk in all of the shows. I’m not a “redneck” or any other crud you’re speaking of, I’m a respectable fan. Don’t go around the internet spreading this crud that you call information. Kids have to wear helmets? WTF?!

Anonymous January 28, 2009, 8:06 AM

Well I guess it’s my turn as a former driver and crew chief i would have to say that you have no clue at the extent that ALL of the promoters and officials go through to ensure that EVERYONE is safe and has a good time.now it is very unfortunate and sad that these two incidents happened and my heart and prayers go out to these families but for you to get on a soap box and chime in on something you know nothing about is the real tragedy.you can lock your kids away and throw away the key but here’s a statistic for you 1 out of every 1 person is going to leave this earth by dying at some point.So if you stop living now and do not enjoy the life you’ve been given then thats your fault.but by no means do you have the right to tell others how to live their lives or how to raise their own kids.now if people like you would stop ranting the healing process can start to take place for the families involved.If your not going to be part of the solution then you are a big part of the problem.No need in doing that.even after every precaution has been taken things still happen.oh and by the way I AM A REDNECK but at least i have enough compassion not to keep opening wounds and trying to blame things.and try to get everybody in a MOB mentality do some research then come back and let us know what you feel.I also would have to guess you didn’t get the reaction you were hoping for don’t attack the HUGE monster truck family unless your ready to fight.
FLETCH”THE FALCON”LEWIS

Adicted January 28, 2009, 8:21 AM

Comments like this are by the highly uneducated, mis-informed, hypocritical. How many have died in NASCAR, NHRA vs the monster truck industry in the last 20 years? Seems to me monster trucks are by far much safer.

Anonymous January 28, 2009, 8:21 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA….. glass between crowd like at hockey games. lady you need to do research. If you look back you will see Monster Nationals and Monster Jam have had clean safety records for 20 yrs. How many people have died at hockey games in 20 yrs. Alot more than 2. The natonal average has been 4 a year. very sport has encountered spectator deaths but yet you mock monster trucks but yet not other sports branches. should gets facts straight then you’d find monster trucks are the safest thing going right now.