Was Caylee Anthony a Child of Incest?

Some believe Caylee Anthony was a product of incest. Could it be possible, or are people just grasping at straws to make sense of a senseless crime?

Casey Anthony and Lee Anthony
There is so much of the Casey Anthony case that doesn't compute. Sadly, there's is only one thing we know for sure: Caylee Marie Anthony is dead. It's not even clear who her father was. If you believe anything the Anthony family says, you might buy that Caylee's biological father was killed in a car crash a year after she was born.

Or, if you're one of the many people following the case, you might believe that little Caylee was actually the product of an incestuous relationship between Casey and her brother Lee. One clue of the illicit sibling coupling, says believers, is that "Caylee" is a hybrid of names Casey and Lee. Hmm. For some, this Casey-Lee incest could unravel more than a few mysteries.

"As for the incest story ... it sure would explain a lot of Casey's behavior, the lies for one," writes one armchair detective on a Casey Anthony message board. "Her sociopathic behavior. And why Cindy is going to such lengths to protect her. Denial would have been something Cindy's been used to dealing with, denying her children are having sex."

The hypothesis doesn't come out of nowhere. Jesse Grund, Casey's former fiance, told investigators that Casey once mentioned receiving unwanted advances from her brother:

jesse-grund.jpg

Is it possible that the breakdown of the Anthony family unit is due to a child conceived by two siblings, and a grandmother hellbent on raising the child as her own? Even though it's been speculated that Lee himself is involved in aiding and abetting his sister, incest still seems pretty far-fetched; more like the imaginative musings of conspiracy theorists rather than actual reality.

But incest is more prevalent than any of us would like to believe. In fact, 10-15% of the general population have had a least one incestuous experience. say sources, but less than 2% involve intercourse or attempted intercourse.

According to Dr. Charles Sophy, Medical Director for the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services, sexual relationships between siblings start early in 70-90% of cases. "Sexual contact would be initiated somewhere before adulthood," he says.

Kids, after all, will be kids. And kids are curious. "There is an appropriate range of inquisitiveness," explains Dr. Sophy,  "but there's a fine line to when it becomes an ingrained pattern of behavior." At that point, a parent might want to bring in an expert to assess the situation, suggests Dr. Sophy.

When presented with the scenario that Cindy Anthony forced Casey to have the offspring of an incestuous relationship, Dr. Sophy seems to think it's at least plausible. "These are disturbed families that don't make judgments on solid ground," he says. "They don't get genetic counseling. By allowing their children to have children, they don't understand incest's biological and social impacts."

One of those impacts that's generally assumed is automatic genetic abnormalities. But if Caylee was indeed conceived from an incestuous relationship between Lee and Casey, "it's not a guarantee that the brother and sister are going to have a retarded child," Dr. Sophy says.

All of this speculation seems moot with DNA technology available. Have investigators looked into the possibility that Lee is the father of Caylee? We asked Carlos Padilla of the Orange County Sheriff's Office. "They did get DNA from him [Lee] but I don't know what it was for,"  says Padilla. When asked to confirm or deny the incest rumors, Padilla tells momlogic: "I can't say [the incest rumor]  is true or I can't say it's not true. We've never approached that subject, but many, many people have called us with that suggestion."

What do you think? Comment in the momlogic community.

See Also:

next: Keep Your Kids Out of My Gym!
anon January 8, 2009, 4:38 PM

I believe Casey is a sociopath plain and simple. A normal person will look for answer and try to rationalize her behavior (like maybe incest made her nutty) but she is not a normal, rational human being. She is just a monster.

LI_Mom January 8, 2009, 4:54 PM

Casey told Jesse that she didn’t trust Lee.

Casey told Amy that her parents were going to move & let her have their house.

Casey told LE that she presently worked at Universal. She also said that Zenaida & her sister Sam, kidnapped Caylee at Blanchard park & gave Casey a script to use for a month.

I see a pattern here.

Casey will say anything if she thinks it might impress other people OR if she thinks it’s good for pity &/or attention. Her word is worthless.

Harper January 8, 2009, 5:09 PM

I fully believe Lee is the father of Caylee and have from day one. I also think Lee knows a lot more about what happened to Caylee than he wants investigators to think.

A month before Caylee was found, two PI’s took a video of the area where she was found. According to one of them, the other told him Caylee was there. Throughout their search of the area, one of the PI’s was on his cell phone getting information.

Investigators should seize the PI phone records. My guess is that whomever the PI was talking to, is whomever led them there. Something doesn’t add up about the whole story.

Nikra January 8, 2009, 5:20 PM

I don’t think it matters who Caylee’s father is. She is dead and her mother killed her.

April January 8, 2009, 5:20 PM

I believe this girl is a nut job no doubt about it. But not to take up for her crazy antics or her crazy family wouldnt the dna the collected from ALL members of the family somehow alerted to this? I am of course not a scientist but I would think that through DNA they would be able to tell if the child shared DNA from another family member? This whole thing is ridiculous FRY her! In Texas there wouldnt be an issue with that. She deserves to die!

Laura January 8, 2009, 5:28 PM

Wouldn’t there be enough DNA floating around to make a simple test of this??? C’mon. If he was the father it might have been when Casey was passed out and unaware of it. I have no idea what the truth is and I’m sure nobody does. This is the most tight lipped person I’ve even seen in my life. She doesn’t give an inch.

mrrealist January 8, 2009, 5:29 PM

I believe Lee is the Father, Cindy served as the midwife and George was the Lookout. One whack job family.

“snap snap the adams familee “

nika January 8, 2009, 5:38 PM

I think there are a lot more reasons that point to Lee being Caylee’s father than what you have listed.

The ” conjoined name” thing is - though something to take note of -not nearly the strongest clue.

The families behavior on a whole and the closed-circuit-mini-culture of enabling each other’s lies made me suspect incest, from the start, no matter what they named their babies, or even if no murder had happened - though clearly it did.

Other clues include the fact that there is no other set of grandparents to speak of. The parents of this person who died in a crash sometime ago have not stepped forward on any level. One can assume they know they have no actual connection. Another clue is that there is some piece of information that both cindy and Lee reference to Casey in their initial conversations when she was first arrested, and asks her if she’s talked about “it” and she quickly tells them that of course she hasn’t and then they move on. (with cindy this was in reference to what casey is discussing with the jail psychiatrist & w/ lee this was on the phone when casey called her home and then didn’t want to talk to her mom any more) if you insert the concept of lee being caylee’s dad into that unsaid “thing” — it makes more sense than anything else.

And still the strongest clue to me —is the whole families bizarre calmness —- they are visibly practiced in suppressing things— and all in a similar manner —- this is a skill that does not just appear — it must be developed over years.

At first i wondered if George was Caylee’s father, but now it seems much more likely it was Lee. It doesn’t feel like a conspiracy theory— because it’s not a conspiracy. It is incest, and a family in a constant swirl of denial and shame.

I can’t help thinking that if casey had felt able to tell her friends and community that Lee was her daughter’s father, and not feel compelled to constantly hide ‘who she was’ - or at least this huge part of her life — that she may not have killed her daughter. instead the would have been on a long, and though complex and painful, not deadly path to self (and daughter) acceptance.

It is really sad. It does not make murder okay, and would not even correlate it with being the direct cause for this murder. but it seems clear it was part of the story.

what is interesting to me is that the cops may already know it to be true— with their dna they can test— because if it were not true— surely they would have said its not true, but probably if it were true—- they can not say for legal reasons. or maybe they can;t do the test without a court order to do so. but i bet they did it and they know and they are just not telling the public for the same reason they are not showing the public photos of caylee’s remains. - a certain level of humanitarian privacy.

but the cops have the ability to know — they are more than aware that it is a question on the table — and they are not saying “no”. I think in this situation that means the answer is yes.

remember - they did ask for Lee’s DNA — there is no other reason they would have wanted it.

Vicki in STL,MO January 8, 2009, 5:40 PM

I believe it was stated the police know who the father is and then nothing else was said about it which led me to believe there is no scandal

nika January 8, 2009, 5:54 PM

I think the police know Lee is the father are are just not saying so. out of some kind of respect to privacy.

because they MUST know one way or the other at tis point— and if they wont say “no he is not the father” I think that means that he is.

they took Lee’s DNA - what other reason would they have had to do that. & they say they are very aware that it is a question on the table.

so they must know, and if it was a “no” they would have said so.

i think that the only reason they would “not say either way” is that the answer is yes.

wpbgirlie January 8, 2009, 6:13 PM

I think that if someone out there is Caylee’s father - that person would have come forward at this point. Any 19 yr. old girl who is pregnant tells someone. A girl friend or family member. It is really weird that NONE of Casey’s inner circle of friends have come forward, Or any guy who puts two and two together - somewhere out there, someone should know. And with the money offered for big info like this a likely person would want to find out and announce it and get BIG MONEY. As would his family. Very strange situation. Once again, 19 yrs. old pregnant girls tell someone. I know, I was one and you want your friends for support. It is only natural. For her to keep this so close to the vest…. tells a lot.

wpbgirlie January 8, 2009, 6:17 PM

PS - If her story of the dead daddy is true. She would have been able to collect Social Secruity benefits upwards of $600.00 per month. The Anthony family would have made this happen with a simple paternity test. So that story is B. S.

wpbgirlie January 8, 2009, 6:18 PM

maeby January 8, 2009, 6:43 PM

can anyone confirm what wpbgirlie said about the social security benfits?
If it is, she’s right. Casey would have been on TOP of that right away. She’s as money hungry as they come.

doku January 8, 2009, 7:49 PM

wpbgirlie is correct. Not only does the child get the money, but also the spouse that is caring for the child gets the same amount. Total is well over $1000/month. They would have to be pretty stupid to not claim it.

CMCda January 8, 2009, 7:58 PM

As much as this sits at the back of my mind, it’s a bit too risque to speculate at this time.. I’ve seen it tossed about for months now. One thing for sure, if Caylee were the product of incestuous rape, it might even contribute to the defence’s case. I just don’t think so.. I am more to the belief that she just plain has no clue who the father is.

Anonymous January 8, 2009, 8:39 PM

Since when does naming your child after your sibling qualify as proof of incest? My son has my brother and grandfather’s middle name. Trust me it has nothing to do with incest. My daughter had my mom’s name as a middle name. Woopie. Nonetheless, even if she was a child of incest it is not a defense for her murder.

she don't know January 8, 2009, 8:40 PM

Maybe Casey herself has no clue who the dad is. Maybe he was a nameless one night stand?

Anonymous January 8, 2009, 9:16 PM

geez. for real? i had to double-check that i wasn’t on the nat’l enquirer or star sites.

shellebelle January 8, 2009, 9:48 PM

I have always thought that Caylee was a child of incest. First of all that baby looks exactly like Cindy and George Anthony’s offspring —even when you look at the picture of her with her great-grandfather she looks a lot like him. As for the dead boyfriend there would be pictures of this guy somewhere. Looking on their myspace comments when the story first broke (before they deleted or made the comments private) there was no mention of any boyfriend/Caylee’s father’s funeral. There was a comment by Casey to Lee that mentioned that Casey was nervous to spend the day home alone with her father. There was also a comment from Casey to Lee saying “you need to come by and see your niece she is really growing” I would think if it were really his daughter she would have referred to Caylee by another name anything other than niece. I do think that if this is a big family incest secret it would explain everything. I wonder if we will ever find out?