Casey Anthony in Court: All Smiles

Attorney Jose Baez's motion to have prosecutors removed from case is denied.

Wearing an ill-fitting gray jacket and minus her shackles, Casey Anthony made an appearance today in a Florida courtroom for a pre-trial hearing. Her demeanor, although a bit more subdued than her last appearance, still had the accused murderer laughing and smiling with her attorneys. She did, however, seem to be more involved in the proceedings -- at some points even taking notes.

Judge Stan Strickland was all business as he denied Jose Baez emergency motion to have prosecutors thrown off the case. Despite that denial, Judge Strickland did support the defense's motion to gain access to the scene where Caylee's remains were found. No word yet on Strickland's ruling on obtaining records from Equusearch, the non-profit that launched multiple searches for Caylee. But experts predict that motion will be denied.

Baez also told Judge Strickland he plans to file a future motion to move Casey Anthony's trial to another city.

Recently released documents in the Casey Anthony case:

casey anthony forensic report casey anthony witness report casey anthony search warrant casey anthony document
Forensic Report
Witness Report
Search Warrant
Search Warrant

See Also:

next: Uninvited Sister Attacks Bride at Wedding Reception
Linda January 30, 2009, 3:48 PM

Wonderful news! Just heard the trial will be months and months away. I am so happy to know killer will be spending all of her time in her small cell. Couldn’t happen to a nicer gal!

Lin in MA January 30, 2009, 5:11 PM

Wow, she had quite the smile on today, now that’s convincing. After all those smiles you could really tell that she is a mother mourning the loss & murder of her only child! I hope to god she never see’s the light of day again.She is just plain evil!!!!!!!!!!For those of you who said she has already moved on from the whole Caylee thing you are all absolutely right. This is a woman who feels absolutely no remorse what so ever. I just can’t believe any of this any more. That poor baby. She is most definately in a much better place then still living with that dysfunctional family. RIP Caylee.

cindy January 30, 2009, 5:14 PM

Someone needs to smack that smile right off her face. I have a 3year old I can’t understand how someone could do something like this too there child. She needs the death penalty. RIP Caylee

JOHNNY B January 30, 2009, 5:30 PM

Her Dad attempted suicide 7 days ago.

Her daughter was found dead just before Christmas.

And she’s SMILING?!

MA January 30, 2009, 5:30 PM

I just want to know when they will run an episode of Michael Stone’s “Most Evil” on this one?? I’m ready for his rating on this one.

Still Pi**ed off Anon  January 30, 2009, 5:58 PM

With MA on the Most Evil rating. But details are still emerging. If that show required 30 years of Manson and Family nonsense to fill an hour, I wonder how many years of Casey Bullcrap they’ll require to do an exclusive episode. But what I really want to say is; Hey Cas, your jacket’s pulling real bad. You’re living in Hot Body Contest denial if you think you’re still a size two.

Sally January 30, 2009, 8:34 PM

Did Baez think the public would think Casey is innocent if she shows up looking like a business executive going to a board meeting and smiling and laughing with her attorneys? She certainly doesn’t look like the victim Baez claimed she was at the press conference as the grand jury met to indict her for first degree murder. Her attorney and parents claim she was afraid of kidnappers who killed Caylee. Whether she wears a push up bra and a mini skirt or a business suit, she still looks like a murderer and sociopath who enjoys playing a cat and mouse game with law enforcement. I think the fact that Cindy and Lee weren’t there says they aren’t supporting Casey anymore now Caylee’s body has been found.

DIR January 30, 2009, 11:05 PM

This girl shows no remorse or concern for the fact she’s soon going to trial for murder, that her adorable daughter has been found dead, and that her father is hospitalized for attempted suicide. She has no reason to be smiling. Her behavior speaks volumes. And as for the tacky looking jacket that was way too tight and the dorky looking hair in a bun—COME ON!! The public isn’t stupid enough to believe she’s anything close to a respectable business woman. That was an image makeover gone bad. Who are these clowns behind this charade?

catwmn January 30, 2009, 11:16 PM

Casey was taking notes in court today. Here’s a guess at what she wrote:
1.) Remember to write mom and tell her to dispose of the heart shaped stickers I have hidden in my book, “How to make weapons out of household materials.” 2.) Tell mom to replace the liner in the laundry hamper and wash it first a couple times so it looks worn. 3.) Order more pop tarts so I can stuff my face until Jose and these legal jokers spring me out of her.

granny 65 January 31, 2009, 12:01 AM

casey anthony has a way to drag people into her web and ruin their lives . her mother trained her well. they need a cindy and a casey voooodoooo doll. i would stick both of them every hour on the hour. when are they going to bury this poor little angel. god just how sick is this family ? fame must be more inportant to then then this little girl. how sick this whole case is . JB is a real loser .no lawyer in my book just a creepy looking guy

007 January 31, 2009, 12:16 AM

The bottom line is, nobody except Casey KNOWS how this all came down. Since it is OKAY to toss theories around, as our hearts long to know… It *could* have been a situation where Casey used choloform (introduced to it by Ricardo Morales) to quiet Caylee down or make her sleep, so Casey could have her fun. She put the duct tape on her mouth *in case* Caylee woke up before Casey wanted her to. Tragically the chloroform turned out to be a fatal dose. Then Casey panicked (tried to reach parents/mulitiple calls within sort timeframe on phone records) Didn’t reach them and felt she could not come clean with what she did, and took 30 days to try to figure out her plan. The plan spiraled out of control, hence all of this circus. This is only a theory/thought, and maybe someday we will know for sure, but sadly I doubt Casey will ever tell the entire truth.

Gail January 31, 2009, 4:06 AM

I cannot for the life of me understand just what the hell that mousey looking, lying killer has to smile about…I mean her little girl is gone forever, her Father tried to kill himself, her Brother is possibly facing criminal charges, and her Mother is left alone to go through this nightmare… But yet Casey sat there in that ridiculous get-up and un-Casey like hairdue, and laughed and acted like she didn’t have a care in the world. And then taking notes , yea right ! She was probably writing a list of what little snacks and goodies she was going to order when she got back to her jail cell.. Save your act for your trial Casey, cause no one is buying it !!!

SanSmith January 31, 2009, 10:59 AM

Plausible theory, 007. That makes more sense than any theories I’ve heard. I would elaborate on what happened after she couldn’t reach anyone though and realized she couldn’t face anybody and tell the truth. I think her plan was hastily hatched and not thought through because she didn’t anticipate ever getting caught. She thought she could stall her parents indefinitely because they are easily fooled by her lies. Unfortunately for her, she miscalculated and ended up in jail because she couldn’t control her mother’s actions. Her lies were all idiotic really. She was privately investigating the kidnapping. What? Even crimnals know the best way to find someone is to call police immediately. Zenaida Gonzales took her and she lives at Sawgrass Apts. What? Let’s have her phone records then. Oh, no. Sorry I junked that particular phone. You see, stupid lies and lack of concern for Caylee is what is doing her in now and all she had to do when the death happened was to call 911 and wait for her parents to call back and confess the accident.

Lea January 31, 2009, 12:22 PM

If Jose Baez is married, his wife should watch out! Casey def looks very into this man. What a selfish b*tch, her dad tries to commit suicide and her baby is dead yet she obviosly enjoys the media attention. She’s loving her 15 mins of fame!

Adam January 31, 2009, 12:31 PM

Casey Anthony i hope you do get the death penality for what you have done.

Gina January 31, 2009, 4:44 PM

She looked extremely unhappy. Casey has to learn not everyione is her Mommy & Daddy, the judge won’t say ok gorgeous, you are the boss sweetheart, if you don’t want to show up at those annoying hearing for the murder of your daughter you don’t have to, don’t get upset darling just stay in your cell & stuff you face with chocolates & crabmeat. Don’t face what you have done or the aftermath, all the other lives you’ve destroyed.

Sally January 31, 2009, 6:22 PM

With that little smirk and far away look in her eye, I wonder if Casey wasn’t scribbling Casey Baez over and over while imagining how she and Jose are going to fly off to a desert island and live on shrimp and coconuts and lie around naked on the beach after he gets her out of this little mess she is in. If the wife, gets in the way of her fantasy, she just thinks of the cloroform recipe she memorized, the one she used to get rid of the little snothead.

007 January 31, 2009, 7:52 PM

SanSmith, I agree with you.

Plus I think that all of the partying, within those 30 days, was ‘denial and the desire to live life to the fullest’ before getting caught. She *had* to know that at some point, her life, as she knew it, would be coming to an end. I believe that her coping mechanism was to act like it wasn’t happening rather than face up. She was an immature mother, who never should have been a mother in the first place, and it is a shame that Cindy stopped her from putting Caylee up for adoption.

Sara Jane February 1, 2009, 1:01 AM

You know, no matter what time of day it is, her smiling face makes me physically ill. I am an ‘older parent’ and we have a beloved 2 year old and we are going to have another in September. Children are a blessing and a gift! But, I think Cindy and George are wondering what has become of their little blessing. There are several books dedicated to just about the development of the sociopathic personalities in children and young adults, from the family influence to genetics. Everyday we read about children being harmed/killed, physically, emotionally, and sexually. Why? What in our society’s structure is breeding this evil? With the increased economic downturn more are families struggling just to keep a roof over their heads and a warm meal in their bellies, I worry that we will hear more horror stories. More child abuse stories born from the frustration of poverty; more family annihilation stories; more evil that mankind does to those that they profess to love, the tiniest ones that can not protect themselves. All I can think to do is to keep a positive attitude and surround myself, my family, my co-workers, and my neighbors in compassion and hope. To everyone out there in this 6 billion person world, may you be blessed with happiness and good health, may you never know hunger and pain, may you never be physically, emotionally or sexually abused, and when you feel down and frustrated may you find solace and comfort from someone who really cares. Protect Our Children! Just feeling a little emotional. I know of so many people who would have loved to have been little Caylee Anthony’s parents. She should have known them, she would never have suffered. She would have been a treasure, a princess, a beloved child. She should have known them.

007 February 1, 2009, 5:02 AM