Casey Anthony and Coded Messages

In the Casey Anthony case, bounty hunter Leonard Padilla has proven he craves the spotlight. But is his theory on how Caylee's remains were found on the money?

casey anthony coded messages lee anthony and
leonard padilla

Most people following the Casey Anthony case think bounty hunter Leonard Padilla is a fame seeker and a glory hound -- and that's putting it nicely. The controversial reality show "celebrity" has inserted himself into the case by posting Casey's bail in August and has landed himself a regular gig on CNN's "Nancy Grace" show. Grace and Padilla make very likely bedfellows -- both enjoy spinning tales and analyzing minutiae in the Anthony saga, fueling armchair detectives in a case that has taken over public interest where O.J. left off.

Most of Padilla's theories have been misguided at best. When he claimed he had located the remains of Caylee back in November -- and in reality had only brought up pebbles and an old toy -- you'd think he would have slunk off, tail between his legs.

But not Padilla.

He's still supplying endless sound bytes for the case and his latest theory seems almost plausible. Padilla believes Casey's brother Lee Anthony knew where Caylee's remains were and perhaps, gathering the information from Casey in secret messages during their jailhouse visits, fed the tips to Roy Kronk, the utility worker who visited the area three times in August and finally discovered the remains on December 11th.

"[Lee's] situation is there's a daisy chain that extends from Casey all the way to the meter reader Kronk. They're trying to fill in the spaces as to who carried the message where the body was so that the meter reader could find it after the fourth try," says Padilla.

The remains were eventually found in a place called "The Zone," a childhood hangout of Casey's that was known to the entire Anthony family. In his July visit with his sister, Lee asks where to search for Caylee. Casey responds, "Check places locally Lee, in all honesty, places that are familiar to us, to our family."

See for yourself. Are Casey and her brother speaking in "code"? Or is Padilla doing anything to stay in the spotlight? Comment in the momlogic community.

See Also:

next: Family Court is Homophobic
anon January 5, 2009, 4:42 PM

I think that now that Caylees body has been found everyone should let that poor child rest in peace and not keep giving Casey and her family the attention they are seeking.

007 January 5, 2009, 5:22 PM

Maybe they were talking in code, but if so, why would Casey give clues as to where Caylee was? I would think that she wouldn’t want Casey to be found. I must be missing something.

Gracie January 5, 2009, 5:26 PM

I think they were hoping to get the body before LE did.

008 January 5, 2009, 5:37 PM

I also remember brother Lee talking to Casey about where Casey wanted him to look for Caylee and he said something like, “Is this somewhere our friends know?” Casey answered “yes, exactly.” (words are not exact, but I remember hearing something similar. I remember thinking that it sounded like Lee was supposed to find Caylee in a place they were familiar with and move her before searchers found her.

SZQ January 5, 2009, 5:39 PM

I think that the meter- reader is a ‘sensitive’; which I think is a lot more accurate than a psychic. I’ll bet that he states that he just felt something around the site where the baby’s remains were found and the feeling wouldn’t let him alone until his calls were finally recognized. How long has he been reading meters in that area?

JULIE January 5, 2009, 5:39 PM

I HAVE BEEN THINKING FROM THE BEGINNING THAT THEY WERE SPEAKING IN CODE - HE LEADS HER WITH UNSPECIFIC QUESTIONING AND SHE ANSWERS WITH UNSPECIFIC ANSWERS - I THINK LEE HAS KNOWN ALL ALONG WHERE CAYLEE WAS - LP IS NOT CRAZY IN MY OPINION AND I THINK HE KNOWS ALOT MORE THAN WHAT HE WANTS TO SAY AT THIS POINT - OR LETS JUST SAY “HE SPECULATES MORE” THAN HE IS WILLING TO SAY WITHOUT SOMETHING TO BACK UP HIS THOUGHTS - HE HAS RECEIVED SO MUCH CRITISIZM THAN I DON’T BLAME HIM FOR NOT TALKING MORE - WANTING SPOT LIGHT OR NOT, THE MAN KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING -

007 January 5, 2009, 6:03 PM

008, I think you may be right!

I also wonder about Caylee’s paternity. In one of the jailhouse videos Casey mentions that Caylee has the best of all 4 of them, that being Lee, Cindy, Casey and Lee. That sounded odd to me.

kris January 5, 2009, 6:35 PM

they were speaking in code to have the body found for the defense theory that the baby was kidnapped and thats why casey taped her mouth- just like Padilla said- Padilla paid people to drag the river and there are witness’s that the stuff found was there-old and I think Padilla really was trying to find her body- not for fame really but because he can and he wanted to know the truth like everyone else- let him be on tv- he is the one you can believe thats not a liar! & nancy grace is strong witted and to the point and way ahead of most- besides Lee is already going to face charges for helping his sister-it will all unfold after time-

kris January 5, 2009, 6:38 PM

also YES I have heard alot of speculation that Lee is the father- Padilla said on Nancy Grace that the DNA will shock the nation- Im guessing thats why- and I figured thats why hungry for money Casey did not file for social security or her parents try to locate the father- no father has been named so hmmm wonder who he is (Cay Lee)s dad Lee???

Bob Lopper January 5, 2009, 6:43 PM

It is common knowledge among people close to the Anthonys that Lee is Caylee’s father. That is the reason for the argument that had the two of them thrown out of the house. She is named for both parents. Cay for Casey and Lee for Lee. The bounty hunter knows as well.

KooKKy January 5, 2009, 6:47 PM

007, in response to “why would she want the body found?”, I believe she wanted it over with, so that she could then just accuse the “Nanny” of killing her. And, indeed, it DOES seem like they are talking in code, and that Cindy was in the know as well…

008 January 5, 2009, 7:01 PM

007 (Bob Lopper who are you and how do you know this family?) You two are thinking the way I have been. I remember hearing George (after he testified against his daughter)say that “the public will find out all the dirt about our family..in time it will all come out.” I think Caylee looks like Lee.

LaVonne January 5, 2009, 7:07 PM

Did LP ever take that lie detector test? He really creeps me out and I wonder why the media keeps interviewing him. Most of his assumptions have turned out to be false and he provides more speculation than fact. I’m just waiting to hear what real concrete evidence the prosecuter has to share and trying not to listen to all these smoke screens everyone is trying to put up.

LaVonne January 5, 2009, 7:09 PM

Helen B. January 5, 2009, 7:53 PM

Say and think what you will about LP, at least he did go out and try to find the childs body. Without the media hype regarding him, maybe nothing more would have been done. None of that matters anyway, she has been found. As far as tacking this on the meter man, forget that one too. He was just doing what he felt needed to be done and I might add, without much notice. I do not feel he will be connected in any way. I have thought too that maybe Lee is Caylees father, don’t know where that idea came from originally but it did cross my mind also. There is lots of dirt here, many skeletons in that family closet and we very well may be shocked when it all comes out. Just wishing it would soon be over for the public following the case and for baby Caylee.

Katherine January 5, 2009, 8:05 PM

If Lee was really the father wouldn’t Caylee have been like…mentally impaired?

Anonymous January 5, 2009, 8:15 PM

If Lee was really the father wouldn’t Caylee have been like…mentally impaired?

Sarah  January 5, 2009, 8:52 PM

Casey just do not make sense in the things she has told police. It is obvious that she is lying. No one can find the address of the “babysitter” that supposedly stole her daughter. Nothing that she has said has helped the case. It is like she is putting the police through circles. She is a liar. She needs to be put in a psych ward for a very long time.

Lorretta January 5, 2009, 9:09 PM

In response to a comment/question by “anonymous”, I do not believe a child conceived inscestuously would necessarily be mentally impaired, but of course it is possible. The idea of Caylee being Lee’s child is very conceivable and I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if it is true. Abortion may have deterred Cindy as far as a medical procedure is concerned due to being a nurse, but raising a child born out of incest would be far worse than an abortion, IMO.

As far as Leonard Padilla goes, I’m all for him and believe his heart is in this rather than his desire for publicity. Perhaps initially it could have been for publicity, but beyond that, no way. He is a good-hearted man and those who think otherwise are entitled to their opinion.

anonymous January 5, 2009, 10:13 PM

STOP TRYING TO SOLVE A MYSTERY THAT IS NOT FOR YOU!!! This is not your mystery, so fellow commenters , STOP MAKING THEORIES ABOUT IT!!! Leave the kid and her family alone. LET THE COPS DO THEIR JOBS! My best wishes to the child that had died.