Casey Anthony's Father On Suicide Watch

He was taken to a local hospital.

george-anthony.jpg

The grandfather of slain Florida toddler Caylee Anthony was in stable condition Friday after he was taken to a hospital over concerns that he might be suicidal, reports MSNBC.

A spokeswoman for the Daytona Beach hospital said George Anthony would be admitted to a hospital room after being observed. Anthony was found early Friday at a Daytona Beach hotel after he was reported missing for several hours.

Daytona Beach Police Chief Mike Chitwood told reporters that Anthony sent text messages to family members indicating he "wanted to end his life."

Police also found a "five to six page suicide letter," he had written, a police spokesman told NBC News. Anthony had not tried to harm himself, the spokesman said.

"Inmate Casey Marie Anthony was unaware of the events surrounding her father but was told about the situation this morning by Corrections Health Services Staff," Allen Moore from the Orange County Jail says.

Anthony's daughter, Casey Anthony, has been charged with killing Caylee. The child was not reported missing for nearly a month after she vanished.

We wonder if George has known that Casey killed Caylee all along, and can't carry on anymore? Is the weight of what he knows too great, and just he can't keep up the charade anymore?

Check out these recently released documents:

casey anthony forensic report casey anthony witness report casey anthony search warrant casey anthony document
Forensic Report
Witness Report
Search Warrant
Search Warrant

Casey Anthony

Click to see Casey Anthony in Court

See Also:

next: Why I Relate to Barack Obama
Sara Jane January 23, 2009, 12:24 PM

Knowing the law and the processes of the law as George Anthony does and caring the weight of his family with the constant eye of the public on him and his with the dreadful baggage they have, and all the blogging with gross speculation, well that would lead most into a desperate act. And furthermore, to have raised a sociopath as a daughter who is morally, legally, and physically responsible for the death of a beloved grandchild, when with hind sight it may have been prevented, the grief would be more than the most stoic of men to bear. This is all just too tragic. Yet, I can not help but look for more news, of what? I do not know, but I eagerly anticipate. Who next? What next? It is all in the hands of the lawyers and media now.

maeby January 23, 2009, 12:41 PM

Well said Sara jane, i feel the same way.
I’m wondering though, if there is any new info in the 5 or 6 page suicide letter that could explain anything. Will it be used against casey? CAN it be used against casey?
I dont wish for the poor man to die, but do you think maybe this might put things in perspective for cindy? She almost lost her husband because of her selfish daughter, and she DID lose her granddaughter because of her. Does anyone think she might start talking now? She has to be holding SOMETHING back.

kfrank January 23, 2009, 12:54 PM

The hear say that caylee is lees baby might also come out if they knew all along and were hiding the info. This is another twist in this pretzel case.

Donna January 23, 2009, 1:49 PM

I think this whole suicide thing is an attempt to get the media to back off of their murderous daughter. They knew that those cell phone pings could be traced to George’s location and the police would show up. And wouldn’t you know it
“just so happened” (wink, wink!) that the media was waiting to snap his photo getting picked up.
C’mon, either through his law enforcement training
or from the experience of this case, he knew he would be traced by his cell phone. He did not even have a weapon with him. I’m afraid that this will not keep the media off this story. It may keep him from testifying…..

anonymous January 23, 2009, 2:10 PM

I can not judge Lee, he has a lot on his shoulders. Casey is his daughter
and those of us who have daughters,try and put yourself in his place. I really feel bad for both parents.

Teresa January 23, 2009, 3:02 PM

If he was serious, he would have done it. CHICKEN!

Anonymous January 23, 2009, 3:04 PM

It’s not like a Nobel Prize winner would have been lost.

Tme January 23, 2009, 3:24 PM

Nothing is surprising or without some devious and manipulative spin in this case..not the least of which is that I suppose poor bereft, suicidal and mentally ill George, the only one who was willing to speak honestly about anything to the investigators or grand jury, is NOW immune no doubt, because of this trick….how pray tell…was he palnning on killing himself at that motel?? drowning in the tub???

Paul January 23, 2009, 4:03 PM

George is probably feeling the pressure of what he may have helped Casey do. Even if he did not help he is guilty of a cover up.

Angela January 23, 2009, 7:00 PM

What tangled web’s we weave, when we practice to decieve!! The Anthony Family have not Once taken Responsibility for Any of thier Actions in this Mess.. A little girl is Dead and Gone and it’s ALL ABOUT THEM!!! How Sick is this????? This child was not seen or heard by, for atleast 30 days BY ANYONE, Where is the Common sense in this, of where this child WAS PERIOD!!! I think the Whole Family Is NUTS!!!!!

jan January 23, 2009, 8:56 PM

I think this is all very tragic. I can’t imagine how I would handle the forced reality of a daughter with an antisocial personality disorder, and who has murdered someone I perhaps loved more than her. The Anthony family and family dynamics have been in a fishbowl since July 16.
George did have alcohol and sleeping and antihypertensive pills in the motel room. I believe he had drank eight beers and taken sleeping pills…..manipulative, maybe, but he is now on a 72 hour involuntary hold, Bakered in Fl, we call it 5150, danger to self… in my state. After the 72 hours, if still unstable, he could be there another 45 days. And yes, if someone is suicidal they do not let others know of their plans unless they want intervention. But, 5150 is the majority of psych emergency services admits.
I have a great curiosity regarding this case. However, I do feel compassion for the grandparents.

Sally January 23, 2009, 11:26 PM

Mr. Anthony is blaming himself for all of this.
George, you and Cindy may not have been the two most perfect parents in the world, but NONE of this is your fault. We’ll know who the perp is once court gets under way but this is NOT yours or Cindy’s fault.
The world does not hold you or Cindy responsible.

Randi January 24, 2009, 8:55 AM

From the begiining I thought why are her parents protecting her? Because they can’t believe their child would do it? I hope that is why. I am convinced my mother would be the first person to turn me in if I something happened to my child. I’m not a grandparent, so I don’t know why the bond is different, but it is. My mother is much more patient with my daughter than she ever was with me. But she works less now and the three children she raised on her own have grown up and moved out. I am sure life is much easier for her now, so she has more time to enjoy my daughter.
I just don’t see my mom protecting me. I also think it would kill her if any of her children were capable of this. Some people are born selfish and others are raised that way. Unfortunately it’s the parents who are raising children who were born bad who feel guilty. Parents who nurtured that never seem to feel guilty.

PATTIANN BROWN January 24, 2009, 12:30 PM

This all happened because Cindy finally called Casey on her actions. Casey then killed Caylee to spite her parents because they wouldn’t do what she wanted them to do. Cindy tried to make Casey be a mother to Caylee, but all the time enabling her lifestyle by babysitting and giving her money. When Cindy did not give Casey money, Casey stole it from her grandparents account. The gig was up. Casey got desperate, still wanted to do what she wanted to do but because Cindy told her that she had to step up and be a mother to her child, Casey rebeled once more. She would take things to the nth level to get her own way. She wanted to laze around and not work, she wanted to party with her friends instead of being a responsible parent. I think that if Cindy or George knew that this would happen, they would have gotten custody of Caylee. They were trying to administer tough love like you have to sometimes with your kids and Casey wanted to hurt them in the worst way possible and that was to kill Caylee. The fact that they have not been to see her says volumns. Casey will have her day in court, and I hope that Cindy and George will finally come to accept that Casey did this to her own sweet daughter.

frogmanswife1 January 24, 2009, 6:36 PM

I feel very badly for George Anthony. He is obviously devastated by the murder of his granddaughter by the hand of his own daughter. I don’t know how he’ll get past all of this. He, his wife, and son are in a private hell. I hope their extended family and friends are there to comfort all of them. Casey is an extremely disturbed young woman. This is no one’s fault.

Anonymous January 24, 2009, 10:38 PM

has anyone thought that the grandfather could have been in o n the murder or not but it seems they know more than what they are saying. who ever done this may god bless them.

sherry January 24, 2009, 11:52 PM

Sad story and pathetic..Great insights to the mental health aspects..Tks Dr. Sophy