Caylee Anthony Doll: Darling or Disgusting?

A novelty toy company has released something called the "Inspirational Caylee Doll" to honor deceased toddler Caylee Marie Anthony. Is it in poor taste?

cayleedoll-2.jpg

Just when you thought the Caylee Anthony story couldn't get any sadder or sicker, a "tribute" doll has gone on sale in honor of the slain toddler. Called the "Caylee Sunshine Doll," it is now available for purchase from Showbiz Promotions for $29.95. The website proclaims:
"This doll is to remind you that Caylee Marie is safe in Heaven, embraced in loving arms forever!" OK, but it's also designed to make someone some money. Jaime Salcedo, president of Showbiz Promotions, says he will donate a portion of the profits to charity ... but he has yet to say which one.

There's a lot wrong with marketing a doll based on a murdered little girl, but what strikes us first is that the doll looks nothing like Caylee. Caylee had brown hair and brown eyes while this platinum blonde and blue-eyed doll is shockingly similar to the "Amanda" doll distributed by Springfield Collection doll line. Salcedo claims he is deliberately not selling a doll that looks exactly like Caylee because it would be too morbid and difficult for the public. Or maybe he got a good deal on Amanda dolls, which are often sold at Michaels arts and crafts stores.

caylee-comparision.jpg

And it gets creepier. When the doll's belly button is pushed, it sings the song, "You Are My Sunshine" -- the exact song Caylee is seen singing in a video released by the family early on  in the investigation into her disappearance.

Do you think this doll shamelessly exploits a murdered girl or is it a loving tribute? Comment below.

UPDATE: The company said Tuesday morning that sales have been suspended. "After reviewing the response to our media introduction of the Sunshine Caylee Doll and listening to the advice of the general public, we feel that is it best to suspend the launch of The Sunshine Caylee Doll," Showbiz Promotions said on the product's Web site, www.cayleedoll.com.

An attorney for the Anthony family had said he was going to call the company about the doll. It wasn't immediately known whether family opposition was the reason sales were stopped.

Recently released documents in the Casey Anthony case:

casey anthony forensic report casey anthony witness report casey anthony search warrant casey anthony document
Forensic Report
Witness Report
Search Warrant
Search Warrant

Casey Anthony

Click to see Casey Anthony in Court

See Also:

next: Would You Pay $3,000 for a Finger Painting?
sherron teal January 27, 2009, 1:15 AM

This doll is revolting, it doesn’t look like little Caylee and to make money off a murdered child is about as low as a company or person can go!

Jerrod Stevens January 27, 2009, 1:50 AM

If the money goes to Charity its fine with me. BTW , The website claims 100% of the money goes to Charity

Rachel Smith January 27, 2009, 5:50 AM

It does not matter charity or not. This is sick. I have 2 young dughters and will not buy this doll. What would I say to them? This is a tribute to a murdered little girl? I think not. Not only that I would know. If I want to remember little Caylee I will watch her sing in the video. I I want to help missing children I will donate to the fund. Not buy a doll of a murdered baby, beyound sick. JMO.

Caitlynsmom January 27, 2009, 8:39 AM

This is sick. The man who owns this latest money making scheme was on tv the other night on nancy grace. She was prodding him as to what percentage of the proceeds actually go to charity. He would not give a clear answer, just that a significant amount was being donated. nuff said. there are other ways to create awareness of the cause then to create a doll singing you are my sunshine. I am sorry but that is wrong, even if all of the proceeds went to charity, which in fact they don’t. This guy should burn in that same hot place that Casey Anthony will be going to. I’d like to add one more thing too. This guy has came up with Michael Vick dog chew toys too! This paints a clear picture of what a sick individual this man is.

mandy January 27, 2009, 9:14 AM

SICK SICK SICK! I cannot believe that there are people out there who actually think this is ok. The Anthony’s were not even asked for permission with this. The news is saying this guy claims he is not sure how much he is giving to charity (possibly $3 per doll sold for $30 each!) or which charity it will go to. OBVIOUSLY, someone is out to make money. I seriously pray he does not get away with this. Why would anyone even WANT a doll for their child like this… “O this is a doll modeled after a little girl who was brutally murdered my her mommy… ENJOY!” The news also says this same guy sold some type of play dogs and marketed them as having something to do with the whole Michael Vick thing. If that is also true, I don’t know how he got away with that either. A real sicko.

skeptic January 27, 2009, 9:37 AM

This is the company that brought us the Vick dog chew toy, the DannieLynn “Who’s Your Daddy” T shirt, and a variety of Obama and Palin shirts (none endorsed by the persons because they are ‘public personalities’).

The website says that 100% of the PROFITS will go to charity. They make no mention of what percentage of the $29.99 price goes for production and promotion. For all we know, 25 cents might be the profit on each sale.

Just another in this company’s long run of opportunistic grabs for money to be made from public personalities.

Sara January 27, 2009, 10:26 AM

That is totally sick! I cannot believe anyone would make something so horrible!! This poor child went through hell and now a doll of her is being sold???? Give me a break! Completely ridiculous!

knarahs January 27, 2009, 10:57 AM

Pure, unadulterated exploitation — no matter how they try to sugar coat it.

Heather White January 27, 2009, 2:28 PM

I think that the Caylee Sunshine doll would be a tribute to that beautiful little girl if all or at least most of the proceeds went to some kind of children’s charity. A friend of mine named her baby after baby Bailey who died in the Oklahoma City bombing and it has been a tribute and loving memory to that little girl everyday.

Noreen January 27, 2009, 2:39 PM

I think the enough people have made money off this poor childs death! There is now a movie and a book deal in her scumbag lawyers future!

Krista January 27, 2009, 2:55 PM

I just heard the sale of the doll was suspended by the company. I really hope they cancel it completely. This is the most unbelievable thing I have ever heard of. She even sings Caylee’s song. What would have been next? Removable duct tape with a heart sticker sold seperately? Sick is the word!

Debbie January 27, 2009, 3:07 PM

A new low.

michelle r January 27, 2009, 3:37 PM

this is so disquesting, what are people thinking of? the company and those who would buy this doll, are heartless and cold just as Casey is. And it don’t matter if any of the money would go to charity of some sort. Do something with respect to make money. It’s hard enough on us who are trying to make it honestly. GOD DON’T LIKE ULGY!!!!!!!

Sara Jane January 27, 2009, 3:44 PM

Well, another tasteless example of corporate greed! Thankfully public pressure pushed this company to retract its sale of this doll. However, the company is still making $ off Caylee Anthony’s death from other things - TShirts, Bracelets, etc. While I would not want another American company to fail or another person to loose their job. I am boycotting this company! I would rather buy a Voodoo Doll of Casey Anthony on ebay! Go cottage industries!

curvymom January 27, 2009, 7:19 PM

So, why hasn’t he offered to make dolls for ALL the other kids who have come up missing in the USA?

This is disgusting.

jason edwin Boatright January 27, 2009, 11:08 PM

I think Rob Blaevogvich knew that it was to steal somebody seat and this is what should pay the price. He think didnt do anything wrong . Ithink hes going to get off on this trial. He will try to fight illinpois laws about his trial on getting rid of politicians . Thats what you pay when you think your getting away with crime.

Shirley Bailey January 28, 2009, 12:27 AM

We lost a live human being, made in God’s image, a gift of God, and precious in God’s site. How dare anybody try to make money off of a doll.
How sad that money has become more important than a human life. I would never buy the doll. Remember the real little girl in your hearts, and give the money you would have spent on the doll to an abused children’s fund.

TONE January 28, 2009, 2:45 AM

The doll needs to be destroyed , the mold needs to be destroyed and the people who are responsible for this whole idea should be DESTROYED!!!!! F@#KN PIECES OF $H!T!

Young mom January 28, 2009, 11:54 AM

This is a disgusting affront to all that is good. This is a sick dysfunctional person who’s willing to make a buck out of a horrible tragedy!
Forget the doll, donate directly to childrens charities! Oh and the profitiers can go to the depths as far as I’m concerned.

Sandra January 29, 2009, 11:41 AM

This make me ill. How do you even begin to explain this to a young child you buy this doll for. If you want to donate money do it, but not this way.