How to Raise a Spoiled Hypochondriac

I'm afraid I'm teaching my kid being sick is FUN!

sicktoddler.jpg

Momlogic's Andrea: My daughter has been sick the last couple of days with a pretty severe cold. Like most new parents, my husband and I are beside ourselves. Our daughter, however, is having a blast. And why shouldn't she be? Since she fell ill, we've been bending over backwards to indulge her every whim -- even when it goes against all of our house rules. Eat on the couch? Sure. Sit and watch movie after movie with the pacifier that's restricted "for nighttime use only"? Of course, my precious. Candy? You got it.

Little by little, she's becoming accustomed to getting her way on everything her little toddler heart demands.

Last night, she officially toppled the parent regime.

Cranky from being unable to blow her nose (she hasn't quite mastered it yet), she climbed up on our bed and insisted she was not only going to sleep on the center but we were to leave the room. There's nothing worse than your snot-laden kid, feverish and tired, screaming at you to "Get ooooout!" Oh, yeah, there is something worse: Two adults who basically ran out of the room to appease her wishes. We huddled together in fear.

OK. I know we're doing this WAY wrong. But how can you turn down any request from a sick child?

See Also:

Related Gallery

next: Check Out Trista Sutter's Play Room!
Anon January 25, 2009, 11:16 AM

It’s very easy to turn down a sick child, the word is “NO”. My young sons get to watch movies on the couch, wrapped in Mommy’s blanket and have popcorn - but that is it! All other rules still aply. After all, who is the adult? Do you want the rest of your life to be run by this little one? Remember, YOU are the parents. Give her her meds to help clear her nose, plug in a humidifier and put her in her own bed. If need be, cuddle w/her on her bed or leave the door open, but your bed should be off limits - period! If it makes you feel like a “meany”, well get over it and grow up.

Uly January 25, 2009, 1:14 PM

“But how can you turn down any request from a sick child? “

Easy. Say NO.

The kid is already sick and miserable. She doesn’t *also* need to think that the world is so topsy-turvy that her parents can’t set the boundaries they’ve always set. Do you have any idea how scary and confusing that can be for a young kid?

ashley January 25, 2009, 3:20 PM

I have always spoiled my son when he gets sick. It’s okay! They need that extra comfort when they don’t feel well. He and I laid in my bed together for 3 whole days one time when he was about 2 1/2 and his temp was going up and down and he was just so sick. We snuggled and read books and colored. I actually kind of enjoyed it. My mom used to coddle me when I was sick and now when I get sick she’s the first one I call.

rrrrrr January 25, 2009, 6:05 PM

Ummm… most of that was no biggie, except when she demanded you leave the room. Sorry, but not havin’ it. You’re sick but you’re not the boss Baby Girl.

K&C's Mom January 25, 2009, 11:20 PM

Your child needs to learn just because they are sick, they don’t make the rules. Giving your child candy while they are sick is one of the worst things you can do, sugar can prolong an illness.

J January 26, 2009, 8:36 AM

I’m going to have to agree with Ashley on this one. When my little guy is sick I let him watch TV all day on my bed if he wants, eat on his tray on the couch, we cuddle all day…When my child is sick most rules are on hold. I will always remember when he was 13 months he got rotavirus - i remember how bad it was and how scared i was cause he was so sick but mostly i remember holding him on the couch all day while he napped on and off and cuddled with me. I remember him saying “mo mo baby animals” cause that baby einstein dvd gave him a little comfort too. When he was 13 months old he didn’t think he was being spoiled just taken care of and now, at 3 he feels the same way. He knows that he when he gets all better the rules are back and trust me even though I make being sick as “fun” as can be, he can’t wait til he gets better.

Cristina Mathers February 2, 2009, 3:04 PM

i am struggling with this right now because my 3 year old has been sick for a week. i’ve been bribing her with dollar store crafts and stickers. it’s making things much easier though.

Anna February 24, 2009, 3:05 PM

First off, umm NO! When my children yell at me no matter sick or the picture of health it does not for a second. Just because a child is sick does not give a justification for them to have anything different. Yes they are uncomfortable but that is not reason for you to bend over backwards. When you as a grown up are sick does the world revolve around you. the answer is … NO! The problem with parents now is they believe the child should have everything they desire to be happy. BS! We all grew up with rules and having to earn our place. STOP LETTING YOUR KIDS RULE YOU! You are the parents and you are the control makers. Say no and stick to your guns it will no cause any physical or psychological damage. Learn to be a parent not a push-over!

michelle June 5, 2009, 12:32 PM

Whatever. If you’ve taken the step of posting this piece, you already know the answer.

Uextfsny June 23, 2009, 6:35 AM

5XJR0B comment4 ,

Peter Rossy October 18, 2010, 5:31 AM

That’s a very amusing topics, I adviced my friends to read it and they also liked it, so it’s even worth of narrative essay writing!

Anne Lee October 21, 2010, 8:41 PM

This is useful for my essay writing as a good reference for my thesis as a post graduating student in law.

Allegra generic January 18, 2011, 11:05 AM

There are certainly a couple more details to take into consideration, but thank you for sharing this information.

url March 11, 2011, 12:38 PM

ksolqtx - Thank you, vpurpus.

SaraFord March 12, 2011, 9:02 AM

There are lots of stories, but your is very heart touching…it is mind blowing I would say….this is why I will write my custom essay about it

link March 12, 2011, 3:23 PM

deaqlba - Thank you, jcprmtn.

link March 12, 2011, 4:54 PM

dhkyidh - Thank you, pxrxyyd.

Zen Electric Cigarette Makin March 12, 2011, 6:28 PM

wgynrke - Thank you, clrjaoj.

Electric Cigarette Rolling M March 12, 2011, 8:06 PM

uqoohsp - Thank you, tjwviqm.

url March 12, 2011, 9:42 PM

uswdvgs - Thank you, itfjxcw.