Couple Sells Everything on eBay - Except Kids!

Imagine that times were SO tough that in order to support your three children you had to put EVERYTHING you own up for sale on eBay. Well, that's exactly what's happening with one family.

couple having garage sale

Georgia couple Gregg and Brittiny Peters have three beautiful children, although two of them need constant medical care. Ayla, 7, has a rare debilitating form of arthritis, and their 2-year old son, Noah, is autistic. The bills are piling up, but rather than lose the things they value most -- their children -- they've decided to sell everything they have. Everything but their kids and their actual house.

To support the family, Gregg Peters teaches tennis. Wife Brittiny doesn't work outside the home because the children need constant care. Gregg's salary just isn't enough, so they decided to sell their belongings to pay their bills.

"Nothing's more precious than the kids, not a sofa, not a TV. It is as simple as that," said Gregg Peters.

Some of the things the couple are selling include: The family's 62" Wide Screen TV, the couple's king-sized bed, bunk beds, kitchen table, patio furniture, dining table,

The opening price for their E-Bay auction is $20,000, the exact price of their medical bills. Rather than people buying up their stuff, many have donated money. The response has been so overwhelming that the Peters, with the help of their bank, have created their own Web site, www.everythingweown.org and so far they have received more than a million hits and a thousand e-mails.

It seems that people aren't bidding on eBay because they don't want to take the Peters belongings. What they do want to do it GIVE them money and so far, more than 800 donations have piled in to their website reaching the $10,000 mark.

The couple is halfway to their goal, but they still plan to sell everything on eBay in item-by-item auctions if they don't get legitimate bids for all of their belongings.

Should someone buy all of their stuff in bulk, the Peters plan to keep the washing machine and will maybe let their daughter keep her bunk bed.

Would you go to these extremes for your family?

next: Peanut Butter Recall Expands
Jenny January 29, 2009, 4:42 PM

Yes I would, I can say that because we did. We didn’t put everything up as a package like they did but we sold it off bit by bit over the course of a couple weeks.

Sandra January 29, 2009, 5:15 PM

I would and also had. Not everything but some of our greatest treasures were sold (a big collection of books from our library, mostly all of them) when we were going through a very difficult time.

It’s refreshing seeing people can come up with creative solutions other than the unspeakable ones we’re reading this days.

God bless this family, and all the others we haven’t hear from, keep them in the palm of his hand and guide them safely on their journey.

Anonymous January 29, 2009, 6:36 PM

Oh my god, not the 62” big screen TV.

These people knew what they’re doing. They know if they advertise they will get money from others who feel sorry for them.

hard working and debt free January 29, 2009, 8:57 PM

i dont make purchases that i cant afford so i cant empathize with these people but I do give them credit for making sacrifices. But teaching tennis? come on, go get a real job. I dont make “baller” money but i do live in a large house that i can afford and I CAN afford to heat/cool it, it’s full of furniture and appliances and electronic equipment that’s all paid for. my husband and I both drive 2005 model vehicles that are both paid for. I earned a bachelors degree that i paid for while while working full time. i cut and style my own hair, I’ve never had a manicure/pedicure, I don’t own one of those god awful looking pretentious COACH purses, i don’t own ANY jewelry, i rarely eat out, i don’t smoke or drink, I don’t own an RV or a boat, I always pick from the clearance rack, i clip and actually use coupons, yet I’m actually able to live a fullfilling, happy, fun, and successfull life without such “amenities”. This so called “recession” that everyone is whining about is completely transparent to me because I know how to handle my money and live within my means, and work in a field that will always be in demand, and no I’m not an overpaid/overworked nurse with bags under my eyes at 25, I don’t even work in the medical field. And guess what I love my job, as hard as it is for most people to believe, I listened to my parents when they told me to pursue what I love and that money comes later after sacrificing and working hard. Too bad more people didn’t have parents like mine…

Jenny January 29, 2009, 10:21 PM

Hard working and debt free. Don’t assume you know everyones situation. There are plenty of people who are debt free other than their housing cost, car insurance and electricity bills. We were and still we had to sell everything when lay offs started and we had no income, we had used everything in the bank that we had saved and still couldn’t find work, not even cleaning toilets. We live near a Chrysler factory so there are more people than average looking for work around here. Don’t be so self righteous and show some kindness.

no pity January 30, 2009, 2:24 AM

Hey Jenny, I bet you were a mortgage loan processor or one of those other kinds of blood sucking leeches that thrived during the height of the mortgage bubble. I’ve heard enough stories about people living the high life while on thier 70K+ income but now cant get minimum wage jobs at McDonalds. BOO F-ING HOO. You people never deserved that kind of living in the first place. I agree with “hard working and debt free”, go get a legitimate education and start a CAREER, not just a job. Make yourself valuable and indispensible.

robert January 30, 2009, 2:35 AM

I think hard working and debt free has a point. A lot of people live at the very brink of what they can afford. Yes the economy is in a downturn and lots of people have been laid off due to a decrease in demand for goods/services. That’s basic economics. But you have to remember, if someone is losing money, someone else is making money. It dosn’t just disappear folks. Not everyone is being hit with financial troubles right now. Jenny, I’m sorry to hear that you lost everything that you worked hard for, but do you think it’s fair that financially irresponsible people get bail-outs, donations, or otherwise for simply being idiots. Stop making yourself a victim

Jill January 30, 2009, 5:31 AM

Hard Working and Debt Free makes a good point, but she seems to be forgetting that this family has ill children. My parents were debt free until my dad got brain cancer. He died in September and we’re still getting slammed with expensive medical bills. I’m willing to give this family the benefit of the doubt and assume it’s their kids’ medical expenses that did them in.

Jenny January 30, 2009, 9:30 AM

No Pity-

Actually I have been a stay at home mom to a child with health issues and I have chronic health issues myself. My background was never in banking and I never made close to $70,000 a year lol. My field before my daughter was born was Emergency Medicine and Healthcare Security. I have never “thrived” and we have never had an income of more than $30,000. My husband was in the military until he was injured in Iraq and got laid off from the job he found after the military. We always buy used cars and shop at thrift stores and live in low income housing. Why? Because we have always lived within our means and our means are by no means large.

It seems you have some anger and I feel bad that it was directed towards me when you know nothing about be but chose to assume the worst.

Robert- in no way was I making myself a victim. I didn’t ask for anything, I don’t want anything from anyone. My family has always worked for what we have/had. I was simply stating that I could do what the family written about had done. Please tell me, in what way did I make myself a victim by stating facts? Did I ask you for anything? Did I post a request on the internet for money? Did I tell a weeping story with any contact info so you could get back to me personally and bail me out? You don’t know me, please don’t assume you do. Not all who lose all are the same and I’m sorry you chose to think the worst.

Jenny January 30, 2009, 9:33 AM

Sent that post before I was finished. It seems that a lot of people have anger during this financial downfall and what could have been an adult discussion has turned into anger venting. Especially when you accuse someone of being a blood sucker, come on, how old are we? Name calling should be reserved for 3 year olds. If you respond to this post please don’t expect a response for me. I will not let your negativity affect my life, there is too much stress in it as it is. Good luck to all of you. God bless you all.

b January 30, 2009, 1:21 PM

i say good for them. In fact, I say good for anyone who lives within their means, stays out of debt (as much as they possibly can—we can’t all foresee brain tumors and other medical emergencies), and finds a way to make things work. The happiest people I know(and usually the most generous) are the people who have little in terms of material wealth, but strive to do the very best they can on their own and share what extra they have with others in a worse place than them. I applaud people who are willing to sacrifice the TV to be fiscally responsible. What an amazing example these people are teaching their children—that very little is actually needed to survive or be happy, and that the family is the most important thing. Good for them, and everyone else who sacrifices large or small.

christie January 30, 2009, 7:24 PM

The article itself was uplifting. It’s good to hear about hard working people who are resourceful and can stick together through hard times. The comments are atrocious though! Please people, the comments are enabled to allow people to exchange ideas, not to launch personal attacks while hiding behind your ISP. Best of luck to this family and to Jenny and Sandra

Meozhubj June 23, 2009, 5:10 PM