Pics of Caylee's Remains Could Be Sold

Ron Goldman's crime scene pics were also sold ... we talk to his sister to get her perspective on this sick possibility.

caylee anthony crime scene investigation

It's likely autopsy photos of Caylee will eventually show up in the media, just like photos of JonBenet and Ron Goldman did.

Momlogic talked to Kim Goldman, Ron Goldman's sister and victim rights advocate, for her unique perspective. She recalls a day she will never forget: "It was years after the [O.J. Simpson] trial," she says. "I was doing a search for images of my brother on the Internet and I stumbled on the pictures."

The images she speaks of were the crime scene photos of her brother, stabbed multiple times -- his eyes wide open. "I was haunted for weeks," says Goldman with a shudder.

Last week, Judge Stickland, in an attempt to avert Caylee Anthony's autopsy photos from showing up publicly, ruled the images and X-rays will be put on a secure password-protected server. Prosecutor Linda Drane Burdick says they did this so the images wouldn't be "displayed on some magazine at the checkout at the Publix."

Goldman, now a mother of one, was spared looking at the autopsy photos of her brother during the trial of the century: "I've never seen autopsy pictures," she explains. "They turned the boards so just the jury could see them."

While it's difficult for some to understand who could stomach looking at a murder victim -- let alone the remains of sweet defenseless child -- sadly, such macabre imagery is big business. In fact, it's so popular it's even got it's own nickname: "murderbilia."

"It's not as farfetched as you might believe that her autopsy report and pictures eventually are going to be sold," says Andy Kahan, director of Houston Mayor's victims' crime office. "Unfortunately, this is probably just the beginning of the merchandising marketing of Caylee Anthony."

And if history repeats itself, then we only need look back to January 1997, when Lawrence Shawn Smith, a worker at the photo-processing lab for the coroner's office, along with a private investigator, sold stolen crime scene photos of JonBenet Ramsey to the supermarket tabloid The Globe.

An insider of the tabloid industry speaking to momlogic anonymously has no doubts that the autopsy pictures of Caylee will make it into the tabloids' hands eventually. But he says there is a "bad taste factor." "Many magazines or news stations would pass," he explains. As for the Internet, however, he says "anything goes."

Kim Goldman is torn on the dissemination of crime scene photos. "The politically correct opinion says they shouldn't be publicly re-victimizing the victim," she says. "The other side of me says, with my brother's murder, it's one thing if you've heard that someone's been stabbed. When you see it and see the brutality, it brings you to the forefront and reminds you how tragic and how vicious this world is. It humanizes it."

Ultimately, the Anthony family will probably eventually have to deal with Caylee's autopsy pictures showing up either in tabloids or on the Internet. Goldman doesn't think that will be easy for anyone close to Caylee to handle. "You're never prepared to see an image like that," Goldman concludes.

Do you think Caylee's autopsy pictures should be sold? Comment in the momlogic community.

See Also:

next: Considering Cookies? Weigh Your Options
rugbymom January 12, 2009, 5:07 PM

Hell no. I guess I should not be surprised anymore at the defamation and disrespect by the press of anything sacred.

Anon January 12, 2009, 6:04 PM

No they should not be sold! I don’t care who thinks murderbillia is cool-it’s not-and it should not be alowed. The poor family and friends of these people do not need it coming up again, and again! What a rotten way to remember a loved one! My heart goes out to Kim Goldman for having to view her brother in that way.

Cricket January 12, 2009, 7:10 PM

I think it’s sick that they could be sold. However, even if they are not sold, they could still end up being shown in public.

IIRC Henry Lee is working with Casey’s defense team and he will have access to them. He worked on Scott Peterson’s defense team and after the case was over, he included pictures of Laci and baby Connor’s remains in a PowerPoint presentation that he gives. I saw it when he spoke at a local university. It’s “legal” since he was giving the presentation at the university to the forensics department (therefore it was “educational” — but it was open to the public. Anyone could attend.

He clearly enjoys his notoriety. I found him totally disgusting, with a HUGE ego. It makes me sick that he is allowed to display those photos. I can’t imagine how Laci’s family must feel, knowing that he exploits Laci this way.

Helen B. January 12, 2009, 7:18 PM

The photos should be kept under lock and key until the trial, at that time shown to the jury and then sealed again. Not even family members who would like to see them should be allowed that. I do feel that Casey should have to sit and stare at those autopsy photos as well as the ones made at the area of discovery of the remains. She should have to look at the insects crawling through the bones as well as the weeds growing up through them. Nobody else needs to see the remains at all, not ever. The only people who are interested in seeing them are gore mongers and total sick people. The child is dead, remember her sweet face the way it was before her mother killed her and leave the sick stuff to the sickos!

Christy January 12, 2009, 7:28 PM

Either way will work. Yes it is hard for the family but if there is some child out there that will benefit from one parent looking at them it was all worth it. We can not bring Caylee back but it may keep another single mom from doing it to their child. Caylee was a precious little girl and I am so sorry she is not here anymore but something has got to make people understand!!

GINNY MEADE January 12, 2009, 8:05 PM

NO WAY DO I AGREE THAT LITTLE CAYLEE’S REMAINS SHOULD BE SHOWN IN NO WAY…SHAPE NOT FORM….TO ME THIS WOULD BE SO DISRESPTFUL TO HE AND TO HER FAMILY…I DO AGREE THAT CASEY SHOULD HAVE TO SEE THEM EVERY DAY OF HE LIFE SO THAT SHE WILL KNOW HOW HORRIBLE A CRIME SHE DID TO HER WON LITTLE ANGEL.
MAYBE THATS WRONG OF ME TO EVEN SAY SUCH A THING BUT I DO THINK SHE SHOULD BE MADE TO WATCH THE BONEWS OF CAYLEE.
AS FAR AS THE PUBLIC GOES…TO ME IT IS SINISTER TO THINK THAT SOME ONE WOULD GET A JOLT OF JOY WATCHING SOME ONE’S AUTOPOSY AND REMAINS BEITNG SHOWED AND THE THE PEOPLE WHO SHOW THEM OUGHT TO BE HUNG UP AND LEFT TO DRY AS THE OLDER FOLKS USE TO SAY. WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO? A SOCIETY OF VULTURES. OUR GOD MUST BE SO HURT WITH US AS A NATION.

GINNY OF VA.

SquirrelFinders January 12, 2009, 11:17 PM

Casey would relish seeing the photos in the tabloids because it would so much hurt Cindy.

GINNY MEADE January 12, 2009, 11:49 PM

I AGREE WITH THE ABOVE MESSAGE, I TOO THINK THAT CASEY WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE TABLOIDS OR WHAT EVER ELSE WAYS THAT CAYLEE’S REMAINS SHOW UP SO THAT CINDY WOULD BE HURT. I THINK SHE HAS NO FEELINGS FOR HER MOTHER WHAT SO EVER, I THINK MAYBE SHE HAS SOME FEELINGS SOMEWHAT FOR GEORGE AND LEE BUT NOT FOR HER MOTHER. IN FACT I THINK SHE HAS LITTLE FEELINGS FOR ANY ONE BUT HER SELF. MAY OUR LORD BE ABLE TO REACH HER BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE FOR HER SOULS TO BE SAVED. SATAN HAS SCH A HOLD ON HER BUT WE HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT OUR GOD IS STRONGER THAT SATAN. THIS WHOLE ANTHONY SITUATION IS GETTING TO BE BEYOND MY IMAGINATION. THINGS KEEP COMING UP THAT JUST MAKE ME SICK TO MY STOMACH AND ALL AT THE EXPENSE OF LITTLE CAYLEE. WHAT A HORRIBLE HORRIBLE THING TO GO TO BED WITH AT NIGHT ON OUR MINDS.
GINNY….PS SORRY ABOUT MY MISTAKES IN TYPING, LIKE I SAID BEFORE MY EYS SIGHT IS NOT GOOD AND MY FINGERS ALSO WANT TO GO FASTER THAN THEY SHOULD BUT I JUST WANT TO GET MY THOUGHT OUT,

Anonymous January 12, 2009, 11:51 PM

The whole idea of leering at the skeletal remains of this lovely little girl is kinda gross. Just the picture of Caylee that goes with this article…it so tugs at your heart. She looks so bright, wise, almost.
I do believe in God, and agree with many others that she is in a good place. Still, all that potential nipped in the bud…
Can’t make up my mind about showing Caylee’s remains to the many of us who have been quite obsessive about her story. We have been so frustrated and angry for months about all the lies, and that awful family.
By the way, Cindy is doing what a lot of sick mothers do. Even though they can’t love their children, they still feel possessive about them, and nothing is allowed to touch their property! They will defend that property, though they don’t have an ounce of affection for that child they’re protecting.
Weird stuff, had a mother like that myself.

michelle r January 18, 2009, 8:05 PM

this is so sick, people are just sick for or even thinking of selling pics of this baby medical pics. anyone who does sell them needs to be aressted. how would they like it if the shoe was on thier feet. for the sake of jesus don’t let the devil play. there are so many sickos who are prevs that would most likely get jolly out of them. just so sick. let the lil angel rest, she has been threw enough on earth. let her rest.

terrina February 10, 2009, 11:33 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
terrina
Real Estate

terrina February 10, 2009, 11:39 AM

now a mother of one, was spared looking at the autopsy photos of her brother during the trial of the century: “I’ve never seen autopsy pictures,” she explains. “They turned the boards so just the jury could see them.” While it’s difficult for some to understand who could stomach looking at a murder victim — let alone the remains of sweet defenseless child — sadly, such macabre imagery is big business. In fact, it’s so popular it’s even got it’s own nickname: “murderbilia.” “It’s not as farfetched as you might believe that her autopsy report and pictures eventually are going to be sold,” says Andy Kahan, director of Houston Mayor’s victims’ crime office. “Unfortunately, this is probably just the beginning of the merchandising marketing of Caylee Anthony.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
terrina
Real Estate

LJ April 3, 2009, 5:44 PM

They shouldn’t be sold, but the photo of her skull with duct tape across her mouth should be released to the public so everyone can see exactly what her mother did to her.

It’s the same as Holocaust victim photos showing their skeletons dumped in trenches; extremely gruesome, but necessary for people to look at to remind everyone of the brutality inflicted on the victims.

Coralie September 30, 2009, 10:33 PM

I don’t think the photos are for the public to see.Our imaginations unfortunately do a good enough job of showing what happened.On the other hand Casey should look at them 24/7 to remind her of what happened to Caylee’s little body out in the woods.

Sue July 13, 2010, 2:00 AM

We don’t need to see little Caylee the way she ended up.Maybe it’s because we need to be detached from the photos because it would break our hearts.I doubt Casey would be upset.She would probably relish in the thought of her child decomposing and scattered in the forest.I really believe Casey hated Caylee that much.She didn’t care that Caylee’s body was in the trunk,but you know it would be a nice thought to see a tear running down her face from the sight of Caylee’s skeletonized body.

Jennine Tauarez November 26, 2010, 12:00 AM

I usually don’t stop to write a comment, but Todayit is hard to find worthy information on this topic. I truly appreciate it.

miami condos brickell on the river January 14, 2011, 6:40 PM

It is appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you few interesting things or tips. Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read more things about it!

Mckinley Beaz March 17, 2011, 10:31 AM

stellar daybook you’ve accept

water damage March 18, 2011, 12:01 AM

Looking forward to future articles/posts.

Nicki Werkmeister March 19, 2011, 12:05 AM

Greetings! I had a hard time looking for this writing, I am using it for my project, please don’t hesitate to make new amazing topic. expecting for your future writings. Thanks, Good Luck!