Who Would Raise My Kid?

If I croak, who would I want to take over my parenting duties?

1 year old baby with pictures of the obamas and the huxtables

Guest blogger Paul Starke: Last week, I fell down some stairs in a subway station, and although I'm fine, for a brief instant my life flashed before my eyes. Afterward, I started thinking to myself: "Who would raise my son if -- God forbid -- something happened to us?"

I don't have a will (my family can haggle over my DVD collection and gently used furniture), and my wife I need to think about these difficult things. We can't leave Luke with anyone from my family or Melissa's (they're all way too insane), so who gets the baby in the event of the unthinkable? Here now, "12 People Who Can Raise Our Kid if We Croak."

Barack & Michelle Obama - They seem like great parents and are about to move into a pretty nice place.

Siegfried & Roy - Luke loves cats, and I'm sure he'll love the circus.

Pamela Anderson - I wonder if she can still nurse a child even if she has hepatitis? I think Luke wouldn't mind either way.

Harrison Ford & Calista Flockhart - How cool would Luke be on "Career Day" at school? "Here's my dad, Indiana Jones."

LeBron James - Courtside tickets for life.

Bill & Melinda Gates - For obvious reasons. Although they need to stop giving billions away to charity and build Luke his own playroom made of gold and silicon.

Michael Jackson - Because he really really really really loves kids.

Billy Ray Cyrus - That guy did something right with Miley.

Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes - They wouldn't get mad at Luke if he jumped on the sofa.

Oprah Winfrey - The kids would get kick-ass gift bags at his birthday parties.

The Huxtables - Hell, I wanted them to adopt ME when I was a kid.

Momlogic.com readers - I figure if you've come to this website, then you're a thoughtful, caring parent. That's good enough for me!

Who would you want to raise YOUR kid?

next: Grandma's in the Game
Anonymous January 19, 2009, 2:34 PM

awesome :)

Anonymous January 19, 2009, 5:44 PM

My husband and I are in this same bind. Both sides of our families are filled with wack jobs or they smoke. Not to mention none of them seem to have the same idea of how to raise a child that we do. Which is fine when it comes to their kids, but I want my child raised the way I want my child raised. Nothing against anyone elses decisions. I’m hoping we figure this one out soon. And good luck to you and anyone else who finds themselves in this same predicament, as we all want what we feel is best for our most beloved gift(s).

Miranda January 20, 2009, 12:16 AM

My sister and brother-in-law, they have the same ideas and values as us. We have a lot of the same ideas how to raise our kids.

a January 20, 2009, 8:10 AM

I would want my parents to have my kids. Now, don’t get me wrong, my mil and hubby’s stepafther are great and they spoil the heck out of the kids, but they are kinda kooky and their house is dirty. It would be the battle of the century over those kids. My dad is a lawyer though. I don’t know, I’m torn. My parents are amazing but they were strict with us and didn’t spoil us. We had what we needed and that’s it. Like I had one Barbie and my cousin had 15. But my in laws would buy them anything they wanted. So I don’t know. I hope that bridge never has to get crossed.

anna January 21, 2009, 9:49 AM

Deff. MY MOM! m mil is a crazy flake and my fil is so unaware of ANYTHING!! my dh and i have written our wills and my mom would get out kids!!

Dad not Dead January 24, 2009, 7:54 PM

Keith Richards and Madonna. If kids tend to rebel and go the other extreme from their parents, I’d like my kids to rebel against both substance abuse and nihilism.

Nohxaxfg June 28, 2009, 7:28 AM

5pTivN comment6 ,

Jacie May 21, 2011, 6:15 AM

In awe of that answer! Rellay cool!

Early May 22, 2011, 8:56 AM

This has made my day. I wish all positngs were this good.