Herrera: Long Hair Over 40 is a Fashion Don't

There is no question that designer Carolina Herrera makes gorgeous clothes. Her classically chic, yet sexy designs are a favorite of celebrities like Renee Zellweger, Eva Longoria and Mariska Hargitay. Now although we agree that her dresses are indeed to die for, we respectfully disagree with Mrs. Herrera about one of her recent fashion statements.

Sarah Jessica Parker's Long Hair

Click to see who's kept their long locks past 40!

When recently asked about her favorite fashion do's and don'ts -- Carolina said long hair on women over 40 is a fashion faux pas. She claims that at that age, long hair looks messy on women and they need to learn to age gracefully.

What do you think? Is Carolina Herrera right? Do women over 40 need to chop off their long hair?

next: I Hate the Girl Scouts!
Lori January 9, 2009, 6:29 AM

I’m with her! Some of these women don’t seem to get that long hair drags your face down and makes your sagging flesh look even more gravity-affected. Plus, short hair is so much more interesting. Who needs all that “stuff” hanging down around their heads. It just detracts from our fabulousness!

willow January 9, 2009, 8:47 AM

I agree, long hair does drag your face down and age you more. When you see photos of celebs with long hair they are made up and airbrushed. In real life they would look better with short hair too. Plus who needs all that maintenance !

Anonymous January 9, 2009, 9:30 AM

I think Carolina Herrera is just jealous that she can’t pull it off herself. She needed all that “face work” to try to remain youthful while others just need their hair.

any woman January 9, 2009, 9:49 AM

To whom does it matter? Why cannot any woman, any person, express themself in a way that is pleasing to them, makes them feel good, feel beautiful. If others do not appreciate it, who cares.

Manny January 9, 2009, 10:21 AM

Pro hair designer here: IMHPO, There’s nothing worse than to see an aging 40 something with a personal fashion that shows she’s trying to look like a 22 y/o Bratt doll. Personally I see year in and year out that long hair doesn’t carry with it the confidence of age and experience of a woman that shorter hair does. That being said for some women who are too busy or too lazy to find a signature style or are not classically beautiful by cultural standards find that hanging onto long hair can make them look, erm shall I say… more interesting? But let’s face it we can’t all look the same nor should we, correct? For the rest I always recommend that they take a chance and choose something shorter, uplifting, stylish and fun for their hair. Let’s face it… when your running a family or a boardroom your life shouldn’t be all about straightening irons or scrunchies!

my say January 9, 2009, 11:18 AM

When I get old I am going to have long silver hair.

Nancy January 9, 2009, 11:22 AM

I think there are a lot of older with with beautiful long hair. Cher #1 and she is a very classy lady!!!!!!!

cheryl January 9, 2009, 11:45 AM

I believe that a woman should pick and choose what makes her feel good and look good. Why should C.Herrarah have the authority to make that judgement. It never stops amazing me that all of a sudden when a woman reaches forty that it happens to be some magical cut-off date for her to change her whole life and style. I think we should dress how we feel and stop putting so much emphasis on age.

Mary January 9, 2009, 12:12 PM

Just turned 41 yesterday and don’t plan on getting rid of my long locks any time soon. That’s just plain silly. Short or long, keep what makes you happy!

Karen January 9, 2009, 1:08 PM

To me, long hair starts to look desperate as a woman gets older. Unless she wears it up. Now that I’m in my mid-30s, I no longer wear miniskirts (though I could) or grow my hair past my shoulders (though I could) — those statements belong to the young. But those are my personal fashion don’ts, just as the long hair over 40 is Herrera’s personal fashion don’t. If you disagree, go ahead — who cares? She’s not forcing anyone to get a haircut, she’s just saying that she doesn’t like it. I’m sure I do plenty of stuff that others would consider a don’t, and so does Herrera.

Teresa January 9, 2009, 1:57 PM

I think it’s up to the individual period. I personally have beautiful curly hair and have had it all my life. Women and men alike have always complimented my hair. Besides, doesn’t the overall statistics show that men like long hair! I feel as long as it’s in good health, professional in the work environment and it makes you happy - Just Do IT!

ame i. January 9, 2009, 6:33 PM

It depends on the woman, her face, and her hair type.
I’m 40 and my hair is thick and on the coarse side. It is about 2 or 3 inches past my shoulder blades. I wear angled, wisped bangs (I have a “big face”, the bangs help) and the sides are angled because I have a “strong” jaw line. My Chi flat iron is my most precious material object. If I don’t iron this hair, it frizzes out on the sides. (insert image of Bozo the clown) I’m tall and broad shouldered. Shorter hair makes me look, um, odd, unbalanced.
On the other side of the issue, I have a 62 year old aunt. Her hair is down to the middle of her back, and she does the 1980’s pull the top and part of the sides up and back and fasten with a hair clip or scrunchie thing. No one in the family has the heart to tell it looks ridiculous and BAD.

Christine January 15, 2009, 12:15 PM

Wow. Could we really be so shortsighted? I happen to look best with long hair. I keep it trimmed and colored and in the most flattering cut that I can find (for me). I know women who look their best with super short hair and women who look best with med. length and everything in between. My opinion is that we should stop worrying so much what people who live in ivory towers think about our fashion choices. When you look in your mirror, do you feel good? That’s when you’re at your most beautiful, when your confidence shines through, you glow. Long hair, short hair, or bald.

RSS January 15, 2009, 3:59 PM

The only reason that some women “experts” believe that long hair after 40 is a fashion faux pas is b/c they don’t want the tressed women to get all the attention after they mistakenly or foolishly cut theirs. Where are those women who look terrible with groomed long hair? I’ll enjoy those “dragged- down” women til I die. The longer, the sexier, as well!

anon January 16, 2009, 4:30 PM

I disagree. To me, nothing makes a woman look older than chopping off their beautiful lengthy hair. You can do all kinds of stuff when it has length. When it is short you can’t do anything. Most older women with long hair look gorgeous and sexy.

Jeanne February 10, 2009, 2:04 PM

I think she’s nuts. I am 48 and my hair is near the small of my back. It is think and naturally curly. It is much better long than short.

I think women, regardless of age, must be true to themselves and shine.

anon May 8, 2009, 4:11 PM

No way is she right!! I am 48 and have long hair my husband loves and I look younger with longer hair. For me it works. I say you should wear your hair how it suits your face and style….

Terry May 12, 2009, 10:45 AM

Stupid statement.
Long hair v. short hair.
Some women can pull off long hair at any age & some can’t. Same goes for short hair.
There is no magic number for changing hairstyles.
At my wife’s 40th birthday - we had several female friends who has already hit the “big 4-0” tried to get my wife to go to thier hairstylists for the “over 40” hairdo (that ugly short tight curly perm).
Fast forward 10 years later - the wife still has hair just past her shoulders and looks 35.
Recently - one of these female friends was mistaken for being my wife’s mother.
‘nuff said.

Charles Jones May 19, 2009, 4:59 AM

I LOVE older women who don’t fall for this “you have to look age appropriate” nonsense. And since there are so few of them, they ALWAYS stand out as the most attractive. On more than one occasion I’ve been surprised to find myself attracted to a woman much older than myself simply because she didn’t have a typical, short cut, “age appropriate” hairstyle

Speaking as a man who isn’t a hairstylist and therefore has no ulterior motives, long hair is almost always more attactive at ANY age. It does NOT make a woman look “desperate to look young” to have long hair. Quite simply, it almost always looks more feminine, and that’s a good thing

Short hair on the other hand, especially when styled the way so many older women do, causes a woman to advertise that she no longer thinks of herself as being same person she was when she was young. This is not a good thing in any way.

How a woman wears her hair is the single most significant aspect of her appearance that she has control over; quite possibly the most significant aspect, period. Because of this, it is the very first thing I look at, and believe me when I say, long hair always wins out over short.

If I can convince even one woman not to change to a God-awful short hairstyle, this post will be worthwhile. And to those woman women who continue to wear their hair long, I can’t sufficiently express my gratitute.

If women care about what men thnk, why are they listening to other women, when they should be listening to men? All men I know (none of whom are hairstylists) prefer long hair.

Charles Jones May 19, 2009, 5:08 AM

I didn’t realize this site would ignore my paragraph breaks. Sorry about the long post, but this is something I feel strongly about. Here’s the summary: Long hair is almost always more attractive, regardless of age.