F*** the Inauguration!

Radical Mommy: I LOVE Barack Obama. I voted for him and I wear T-shirts with his face on them. But please, can someone tell me what the f*** is up with an inauguration that costs $170 million during the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression?

Barack Obama Inauguration

Before all you people out there start criticizing me, I want to make one thing clear. I am proud that Barack is going to be our 44th President and I truly believe that under him we FINALLY have a chance at a bright future for our country and our children.

That being said, I am NOT one tiny bit pleased that in this day and age, when THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of people are being laid off, when California is offering IOUs for tax returns, Medicare and Medicaid, and more and more children are falling below the poverty line that we, as a nation, are spending $170 million (at last calculation, I am sure the number will rise) to swear our new president in.

According to ABC News, the actual swearing in ceremony is ONLY going to cost $1.24 million, while the security and toilet rentals for all the people expected to show up are what's costing us the REAL money.

The federal government estimates that it will spend $49 million on the inaugural weekend while Washington, D.C, Virginia and Maryland have requested another $75 million from the federal government to help pay for their share of the police, fire and medical service that they estimate will need to be on hand.

And if that wasn't enough damn money, then there's the astronomical bill for the inauguration party - a whopping $45 million dollars or more. Just to put things into perspective, that's at least $12 million more than the already outrageous $33 million spent for Bill Clinton's inauguration in 1993.

Why on earth are we paying all this money for security and crappers? Linda Douglas, spokeswoman for the inaugural committee, told ABC News that this will be the "most open and accessible inauguration in history," with the public being able to participate on a greater scale than ever before.

"The money is going toward providing events which we hope are going to connect people, make them feel like we are all in this together and reinforce the notion that when we pull together, we're stronger," Douglas said. "And we need to pull together to face the challenges that are before us today."

So basically, from what I can gather from Ms. Douglas, WE, the nation, are paying for a nearly $200 million dollar round of Kumbaya.

Among some of the more outrageous expenses: a Bruce Springsteen concert, the parade, large-screen TV rentals for all-free viewing on the National Mall, $700,000 to the Smithsonian Institution to stay open and, of course, the balls, including three that are being pitched as free or low cost for the public. I mean you HAVE to be kidding me! Why the hell does the Smithsonian have to stay open at the cost of nearly $1 million?

I know that this is an historic event, the first African-American president and all, but does that mean that we have to drive this country further into the ground?

Do you think we are spending to much on the inauguration? Let us know whether or not you supported Obama and what you think about the inauguration.

See Also:

next: Dog Eats 15 Pacifiers and Lives
Agree! January 19, 2009, 3:53 PM

I couldn’t agree more! How dare they! How dare HE! Turns out he’s not the man I sincerely thought he was. A real “man of change” would have said “Hell no!” to the hoopla. It’s going to be pretty hard to convince the rest of the world that we’re in the middle of an economic crisis when they see the grand events unfold on CNN. And for being a member of the democratic party, wouldn’t it have been more appropriate for him to encourage people NOT to waste tons of jet fuel by traveling to DC, not to mention the hundreds of thousands of people gobbling up fuel to DRIVE there. How much additional waste will be generated by such a huge gathering? How much energy will be used in order light and heat the many ballrooms? And what about the use of DC’s police force to help direct traffic who won’t be available to respond to actual crime related issues in the area??? This is not change. This is more of the same. The only thing truly different about this president seems to be in regard to his African American heritage. I really expected more from him.

Anonymous January 19, 2009, 4:05 PM

Finally, maybe now people will realize that it doesn’t matter who we have in the White House. All politicans LIE!
I see we are off to a great “CHANGE”
I’ll try and watch the hoopla on TV while I’m sitting here in my house freezing because it’s too costly to turn my heat up enough to stay warm. I don’t understand why us regular people who are just trying to get by are always the ones who end up footing the bill. It sucks to be too rich to be poor and too poor to be rich.

DD January 19, 2009, 4:19 PM

I wonder how many kids could receive the medical care that they need with that $170,000,000? Question everything… that’s how it started for me. In the past I always voted democrat. I did my due diligence and listened to various news channels so I thought I knew it all. This year was different though. When all I could find on my regular news channels were stories gushing about the hope and change that Obama could bring and those stories had no details, nothing specific, no plans of how he would make this happen, I started to look other places for news. After many, many weeks of self discovery through conservative news I found that I was more conservative than I ever wanted to be. So to you who have just one question, I say maybe it’s time for you to question more … oh and possibly …. Welcome to conservatism…

SimplyB January 19, 2009, 4:33 PM

People are going to do what they want regardless. I don’t think people would listen if BO told them to stay home. Yes, it is A LOT of money that could be spent elsewhere but in any situation where there is a large gathering proper accommodations must be provided and we sure love our accommodations.

Wendi January 19, 2009, 5:01 PM

It’s all a waste of money and he and the others should be ashamed of themseleves. But I don’t know why we are so shocked, considering that he spent so much money on a place to stay so his girls could get back to school on time. That should have been our first clue that he was going to waste away the tax payers money.

Agree! January 19, 2009, 6:01 PM

I am absolutely disgusted and dismayed by the whole thing. If this is the dawn of a so called “New America”….whatever the heck THAT’S supposed to me….then why is the financial waste being ignored? And in response to SimplyB: I’m not all that concerned that it’s money that could be spent ELSEWHERE….I’m just pissed that it’s being spent on nothing more than a party to honor an American man’s first day on a new job. Too bad the average joe can’t get that kind of recognition for being gainfully employeed. I understand the tradition of the event, and I’m not unaware of the ridiculous amount of money & manpower wasted on previous inaugural events. I just expected THIS president to have more courage to say “No” to this type of self indulgent crap.

Pebo Buttersworth January 19, 2009, 6:35 PM

Seems kinda odd that 170 mil is being spent on an inauguration party during “the worst economic crisis since the great depression”, as Obama so often reminds us.

Jenny January 19, 2009, 7:45 PM

OMG I was saying the same thing today!! It makes me sick. My family is actually about to be homeless if my husband and I aren’t able to find a new job either one or both of us in the next month. But it’s more important to have a big party than to have a roof over a four year olds head.

max halzelton January 19, 2009, 8:16 PM

I understand that the whole thing is underwritten by donation…good so far.
Then all expenses are local…still good
since that means no outsourcing.
Then the expenses are now in circulation in the economy…still good.
AND
we are entertained with an historic, memorable and well attended extravaganza!
ALL good as far as I can see.
More and more of it in the coming years I hope!!!!!

Lynn January 19, 2009, 8:18 PM

While we are discussing the disgraceful amount of money being spent on the inauguration let’s take a couple of minutes to think where the money is going……..oh yeah, back into the economy……tell me again, why this is a bad thing.

cd January 19, 2009, 8:20 PM

wtf so lets see you want 0 police 0 fire and 0 medical where a huge number of people are going to be gathered near the president?? thats great. Truthfully 200mil isn’t that much on a national scale it’s about as much as 200 dollars to you and me, if that’s a lot than you need a better job. Also if you are innovative enough you can make a new job so don’t say there isn’t any out there, make one.

cd January 19, 2009, 8:22 PM

that is the other thing i forgot to mention is the money isn’t going over seas. So in essence we aren’t really loosing any of it.

max halzelton January 19, 2009, 8:29 PM

just checked my facts and:
Who pays for Obama’s inauguration?
U.S. President Barack Obama’s inauguration team has disclosed the names of all donors who gave over $200 towards next week’s festivities.

More than 5,000 individual donors contributed up to $50,000 each to sponsor the new president’s swearing-in. As in his presidential campaign, Obama banned contributions from corporations, political action committees, registered lobbyists, foreigners and registered foreign agents.

Thomas January 19, 2009, 8:45 PM

The American people were warned over and over about this man. A real American would stand up take the oath and say thats it, let’s go to work on this nation and not waste another red cent. I said it two years ago and I will say it again, Obama is going to bring destruction to the USA. God Almighty is about to slap this nation real good and we all must suffer for it.

VA January 19, 2009, 9:14 PM

It’s not about who is spending the money (private donations) nor is it about who is receiving the money (back into the economy) - it is about the PRINCIPLE of being more concerned for things that matter more than “parties” and being wise about spending money. We are supposed to be leaving the era of foolish spending and frivolousness, and entering a new era of starting over, being wise, and being faithful with what we have. This inauguration is just the same old story, and isn’t beginning Barack’s presidency with any change.

MW January 19, 2009, 9:44 PM

You idiots voted for him so now you get what you deserve..He is a left wing liberal and if you think he going to be spending a lot of money now, just wait until he unloads the “stimulus package.” He will be burdening our children w/ all of the “jobs” that come courtesy of our tax dollars ! When will America ever learn that recessions are a natural part of the economy? Government has never been able to “stimulate” the economy. THE PRIVATE SECTOR DOES!

stephen h January 19, 2009, 10:21 PM

apparently momlogic doesn’t cover economic logic. spending money in an economic downturn is a GOOD thing - it creates jobs that create more jobs. it may seem trivial, but even the people traveling to DC are helping to create and/or sustain jobs that otherwise might be in jeopardy. yes, it might seem a bit trivial, but in times like these, keeping money flowing is a VERY GOOD THING.

Anonymous January 19, 2009, 10:55 PM

Let the CHANGE begin. HA. The only change is the name on the president’s desk. They all only care about themselves and their political contributors…not the citizens.

kittyhill January 20, 2009, 10:09 AM

Amen!
This event has become so commercialized it makes me SICK. Sure it’s a historic event, but do I really need an $8.95 special edition of the Washington Post to commemorate it? Or, worse still, an Obama-branded bobblehead doll or regulation-weight basketball? What about the “Spiderman” comic that got in on the action? Ick.

kimmy January 20, 2009, 10:30 AM

Obama had a chance to impress me by saying I don’t need this fluff, just show me where my office is so I can get to work.

Poster “-Agree!” said it best: “I just expected THIS president to have more courage to say “No” to this type of self indulgent crap.”