Teen Sex Isn't a Crime With a Hot Teacher

momlogic's Jayne: I thought we'd be able be able to end the year without another (ugly and/or old) female teacher being arrested for having sex with a student -- I was wrong!

The day before Christmas, 23-year-old Hope Jacoby, an athletic trainer at Tustin High School in California, was arrested and charged with suspicion of oral copulation with a minor and unlawful sex with a minor after she allegedly had sex with a student the police identified only as a male student who is 14 - 17 years old.

Once again, I was outraged at the thought of a hideously ugly (and much older) woman taking advantage of young boys with raging hormones and no sense. Well, imagine my surprise when I actually saw a picture of Ms. Jacoby. Not only is she not the toothless hillbilly I imagined having oral sex in a car with a child, she's actually H-O-T - and when I say hot I don't mean, girl next door hot, I mean young boy, fantasy-inducing hot.

sex_with_student_pm.jpg

That got me to thinking, is it really a "crime" if the woman this boy slept with is better looking than any of the girls at his school?? Yes, I know that as a trainer at the school she was in a position of authority and really should have known better, and yes, if the boy in question is actually 14, instead of 17, that makes me mad. But if the boy is 17, as reports say he might be, then is it really so bad?

I believe that young boys can be be traumatized after being lured into sex by a desperate, lonely, "I can't find anyone else to sleep with" hag. But if the woman in question is young, hot, and desirable by many, don't you think that there's a really big chance that the boy (or boys) in question might have actually wanted to be with her -- really really badly?

I know that this isn't going to be a popular opinion, but I'm sticking to it and I'll bet if you showed ANY man a picture of Jacoby they would say that they definitely would have had sex with her in high school and it would NOT have traumatized them.

Take a look at our gallery of naughty female teachers and tell us if you think the looks and age of the teacher makes a difference.

momlogic bad teachers gallery

"Bad Teachers Gallery"

next: Rebecca Romijn's Twins' Crazy Baby Names
Chadwick January 5, 2009, 10:54 AM

Gotta disagree with you on this one. A teacher / trainer is in a position of authority & she abuse her power. Plus the fact the boy was a minor and she is an adult. Both things make this a crime.

And you just might show this phot to “any man” - but the point is the quoted words “any man” not “any boy”.

Is he traumatized - probably not. Was he used - absolutely.

I wonder if your opion would be the same if the sexes in this story were reversed?

redmum January 5, 2009, 10:58 AM

This has to be a joke.

Attractiveness has nothing to do with this, and shame on you for making that distinction.

triumph110 January 5, 2009, 11:45 AM

This is happening all over the country. Go to www.schoolteachernews.com and click on the Scandal page. Last year, in 2008, they documented 480 of these types of incidents.

artambrosia January 5, 2009, 11:51 AM

No, I do not concur. It is always a crime. Sex with a minor is statutory rape regardless of whether they are male or female or willing partners. There are valid reasons for these laws -to protect our children. Whether or not a teacher is “hot” has nothing to do with it.

Desiree Fawn January 5, 2009, 12:02 PM

I still can’t imagine this being “okay”. I would be incredibly upset if it were my child & a teacher, no matter what age.

Anonymous January 5, 2009, 12:24 PM

yes it is a crime….but if the boy is 17 years old i’m not so sure he was resisting any! how many 17 year old guys these days are virgins??? i’m sure it wasn’t his first! either way, SHE was still wrong and still is a crime.

Wendi January 5, 2009, 2:05 PM

I can’t believe that ANYONE would think that this is okay. I send my kids to school with the thought in mind that they are safe and not have to worry about adults going after them and abusing them. I pitty the woman that would TRY to do this to my kid. And I say try, because I have taught my kids that this type of thing is not okay. What is wrong with these women that they think they need to ruin a child’s life?? They are in need of some serious help and so is anyone who thinks this is okay just because she it “hot”. Looks have nothing to do with it, she is a predator and that is the bottom line.

Anonymous January 5, 2009, 2:26 PM

Are you kidding me? This is deplorable. You’re talking about an authority figure having sex with a minor…and somehow having good looks somehow makes this OK?!? It’s still a selfish and predatory act no matter how you look at it.

MacGuffin January 5, 2009, 2:40 PM

You can argue that the relationship is inappropriate just like those in the business world when somebody in power takes advantage and/or it negatively affects any other business at hand, but a horrible predatory crime? Forget it.

There is a double standard because there are two sexes, sorry smoke your pipe all you want but men and women just don’t think the same way and short or long-term aftermath for these type of events will be very different.

The young guy will be just fine, the young woman made a poor choice in breaking her company’s code of conduct and should be fired, just like anybody would in any job situation. She however is not a criminal and the courts have more important matters to worry about.

W January 5, 2009, 4:05 PM

Are you joking? So, if a hot male teacher seduces and has oral sex with a 14-17 year old girl, that’s okay too? Why does how they look have anything to do with it? Please someone tell me this is a joke.

anony January 5, 2009, 4:38 PM

Just because she looks like she could be a high school student doesn’t make this ok. She is a teacher which means she is at least in her early to mid twenties and she’s been to F-O-U-R years of college and that give her much more life experience than any 17 year old. This woman should be sent to jail just like any other child predator. Don’t be confused this is not a case of an 18 year old being charged with having sex with a 17 year old. This is a case of an ADULT having sex with a MINOR.

Anonymous January 5, 2009, 11:12 PM

Okay…That got me to thinking, is it really a “crime” if the man (23 years old) this girl slept with is better looking than any of the boys at her school??

Yes, I know that as a coach of the girls volleyball team at the school he was in a position of authority and really should have known better, and yes, if the girl in question is actually 14, instead of 17, that makes me mad.

But if the girl is 17, as reports say she might be, then is it really so bad?

Hmmmm…what do you think mom…does your logic hold up.

abcd January 6, 2009, 10:05 PM

You’re right, and if a studly male teacher seduces your daughter, you should be grateful.

Your Daddy January 6, 2009, 11:56 PM

I have to disagree with you. She’s not that hot. The typical bleach blonde bimbo does not do much for me, but at 38 most women don’t do much for me. I guess its the been there done her attitude.

Clint January 6, 2009, 11:58 PM

This girl is just regular looking to me and not really pretty. She looks like a pedophile now. Either way she could still have an STD that could trump her so-so looks. This poor boy gets genital warts and the whole thing turns ugly (no pun). Also momlogic, we don’t want grown-ups that can’t control themselves around children…around children. Even if they are H-O-T to you since that is subjective. I think she is average at best.

mario January 7, 2009, 12:18 AM

Sorry but if the boy was 14 it was exceptionally deplorable, and if 17 still statutory rape. Interesting, momlogic you fall into the same mentality that he must have asked for it, and of course he wanted it. You sound like a sexist bigot, duplicitous and from the male perspective, you are wrong. And frankly being a rape apologist is not very becoming. The rules are the rules, and gender differences aside, the law is to be applied equally. If you want to change statutory rape that can be your cause, but this sort of gynocentric analysis is an outrage.

Gary January 7, 2009, 12:23 AM

The double standard amazes me. In many cases of male teacher/female student abuse, the female student is enamoured of the teacher and willingly participates - in other words, she thinks he is ‘hot’, to use your phrase.

But we don’t accept that this counts, since the teacher abused their power and preyed on what we as a society define as a child (under 18).

As it happens I was abused by a woman whilst I was a child. At the time I had no problem with it, but later on I had serious problems in my relationships and eventually sought counselling. The counsellor told me that she sees many men who were abused - with that abuse often being a case of them simply being offered sex by older women and willingly participating. And the effects of that abuse hit them only later in their life. The fact is that boys are warped and harmed by this, no matter how ‘hot’ the abuser may subjectively look.

alen January 7, 2009, 5:44 AM

Jayne, your bias is clearly showing. No, it’s not okay; and you should clearly rethink your moral guidelines.

Puzzled January 7, 2009, 3:08 PM

You are TRULY a sick individual to write this Boy-Love article. Your Children (GOD NO) should be removed from you and placed in Protective Custody. If I ever find out who you are THAT process will START.

-Child Protective Services Representative, Friend of the Court.

gwallan January 7, 2009, 9:40 PM

I’m afraid I’m going to have to be nasty.

From The Invisible Boy…

“Finally, there is an alarmingly high rate of sexual abuse by females in the backgrounds of rapists, sex offenders, and sexually aggressive men, 59% (Petrovich and Templer, 1984), 66% (Groth, 1979), and 80% (Briere and Smiljanich, 1993)…Male adolescent sex offenders abused by “females only” chose female victims almost exclusively.”

So you see Jayne your permissive attitude is utterly contrary to potential prevention.

Male victims have the same long term problems as female victims AND ALSO have a greater propensity to act out in ways which harm others.

I will not describe your position as bigotry as have others because I believe it it more a manifestation of ignorance than unconcern.

I will suggest, however, that it is both misguided AND irresponsible.