Michelle Obama's Gown Finally Revealed!

We've all been waiting patiently to see what she would wear to one of the most important inaugural balls in history. Here she is ...

michelle obama's inaugural gown

No one knew what Michelle Obama would be wearing on Inauguration Night. Not a word about her gown had been leaked, and the Obamas' transition team vowed this would be kept secret until tonight.

Talk about the best-kept secret in Washington!

As the Obamas drove up to their first gala of the night -- the Neighborhood Ball -- Barack, handsome in a tux, was accompanied by a gorgeous Michelle, in a stunning Jason Wu white gown with a large sash over her right shoulder. Very toga-inspired.

Once inside, President Obama motioned to Michelle and said: "First of all, how good-looking is my wife?" (Love that!) Then the President and the First Lady danced to the Etta James classic "At Last," performed by Beyonce.

Fashion design sensation Jason Wu is a 26-year-old graduate of the Parsons School of Design. Upon graduation, he became an instant hit on the runway and in Hollywood, and now his star is sure to rise even higher. After tonight, this historic dress will be donated to the Smithsonian.

What do you think of Michelle's gown?

Dont' forget to check out what Michelle Obama was wearing earlier in the day!

see more photos see more photos
Barack Obama Obama Family's Matching Style

next: Jonas Brothers Surprise the Obama Girls at White House
jackie January 20, 2009, 9:21 PM

The understated simplicity is beautiful. Wish his shirt hadn’t been such a bright white. She could have gone glam but instead dressed with elegance and poise to suit our times. What a great designer!

Beth January 20, 2009, 9:27 PM

With her beautiful dark skin, I would have thought she would have worn a jeweled toned dress; I really think the white is bland and makes her look chubby…

citystreams January 20, 2009, 9:27 PM

I’m no fashionista but I wanted to pick the fuzzies off. Donate it to the Smithsonian or Goodwill, but don’t wear it again!

Leigh Ann January 20, 2009, 9:28 PM

Thanks for posting this. I was wanting to see it. Lovely and classic. I think it will stand the test of time.

Leigh Ann Hubbard
Managing Editor
James Hubbard’s My Family Doctor

Paige January 20, 2009, 9:29 PM

She looks radiant, confident & beautiful!!! Be positive not critical!!!!

Arden Spooner January 20, 2009, 9:33 PM

White for Michelle was unique choice but skirt fullness drew attention to less than perfect figure.

lula January 20, 2009, 9:36 PM

I want to love it. I think she is gorgeous, no matter what. The dress itself is unflattering from certain angles, although flattering from others. I like the color white on her, but thought there’s a lot of fabric, especially around her middle. Nevertheless, she is a stunning woman and the one shoulder look is great. I wonder if Jason Wu is familiar w/ Nancy Reagan’s inaugural gown — embroidered white fabric, one shoulder? I just looked it up and yes, it’s white one shoulder. !!!! I love how confident Michelle Obama is. Whatever she wears, I hope she inspires more women to be less self conscious and more confident.

georgia January 20, 2009, 9:37 PM

With all the amazing gowns she had to chose from why would she pick this hideous dress?? It looks like a frat party toga made of shredded bed sheets!!! God awful!!

Jessica Justathought08 January 20, 2009, 9:42 PM

Just like Jackie said - beautiful! The simplicity is perfect and….beautiful! I am at a loss for words - which never happens to me! It’s like a beautiful piece of art….

Haley January 20, 2009, 9:48 PM

hideous and ugly dress…

LJB January 20, 2009, 9:49 PM

I don’t know if the dress made her look bad or if she made the dress look bad. Either way……both are hideous.

Debbie January 20, 2009, 10:00 PM

Absolutely awful!

Mary January 20, 2009, 10:11 PM

Where did those of you that do not like her dress obtain your fashion knowledge that you ‘think’ you would even understand this fashion statement?

Exactly!!

The gown was a very classic and appropriate choice for this event.

Christine January 20, 2009, 10:13 PM

First Lady Michelle would look good regardless of what she is wearing. She exudes confidence and poise!

Kathleen Kennedy January 20, 2009, 10:16 PM

Is she auditioning for Petticoat Junction?

kristi January 20, 2009, 11:11 PM

Sadly, it reminds me of a very bad 1980s prom dress. There are very few people who can pull off all white. Most who can are a size 0, which she is not. I wish she would have worn something in a vibrant color and without all the little puffy things all over it.

ML January 20, 2009, 11:17 PM

This dress looked like it started out as a strapless gown and then was discovered to be so ill-fitting that it was given a badly crafted shoulder ”sash.” How it can be considered a ”perfect” dress in any way, shape, or form is a mystery. The appliques and sequins just compound this disaster. And I thought the green gloves and shoes with the yellow inauguration dress was bad…

Bonnie January 21, 2009, 12:56 AM

The dress did not fit her body type. She has a small bust and a big butt and it made her look even larger through the rear than she already is. Toga, Toga, Toga….not flattering at all!!!

Kim January 21, 2009, 1:24 AM

I really liked Michelle Obama’s ‘day look’ for the inauguration. Very chic, a wonderful color, interesting fabric. Applause. However, for the evening festivities, her choice of that white prom dress style was a complete disaster. I think she may have realized it too, only realized it too late in the game. She has a fantastic and muscular physique, so a frilly prom dress (clearly too long and obviously impossible to dance in) was very distracting and not very flattering. Every five seconds she was fussing with or tried to fling the fabric away. It did not suit the occasion or her at all. The bodice of that gown also fit her strangely and the off the shoulder strap was angled in such a way that it made the silhouette seem even more ill-fitting. Two thumbs down on that one!!

allyson January 21, 2009, 1:26 AM

She looked awful. The yellow dress was innapproiate for an afternoon, too short, ugly knees, what was she thinking?
And her wedding dress-UGH, she looked fat and was tripping on it all night. She needs Rachel Zoe, or another stylist. She is a mess. And that hair! cut it short or let it curl, it is flatironed to death