Michelle Obama's Gown Finally Revealed!

We've all been waiting patiently to see what she would wear to one of the most important inaugural balls in history. Here she is ...

michelle obama's inaugural gown

No one knew what Michelle Obama would be wearing on Inauguration Night. Not a word about her gown had been leaked, and the Obamas' transition team vowed this would be kept secret until tonight.

Talk about the best-kept secret in Washington!

As the Obamas drove up to their first gala of the night -- the Neighborhood Ball -- Barack, handsome in a tux, was accompanied by a gorgeous Michelle, in a stunning Jason Wu white gown with a large sash over her right shoulder. Very toga-inspired.

Once inside, President Obama motioned to Michelle and said: "First of all, how good-looking is my wife?" (Love that!) Then the President and the First Lady danced to the Etta James classic "At Last," performed by Beyonce.

Fashion design sensation Jason Wu is a 26-year-old graduate of the Parsons School of Design. Upon graduation, he became an instant hit on the runway and in Hollywood, and now his star is sure to rise even higher. After tonight, this historic dress will be donated to the Smithsonian.

What do you think of Michelle's gown?

Dont' forget to check out what Michelle Obama was wearing earlier in the day!

see more photos see more photos
Barack Obama Obama Family's Matching Style

next: Jonas Brothers Surprise the Obama Girls at White House
aquaskyeyes January 21, 2009, 9:16 AM

The mistake was the one grecian style. It was hideous. So glad that I am finding people who agreed with me. If it had been strapless, it would have been more appealing.
Oh well —- I still think it rocks she chose designers who she could help give a jumpstart and wore J. Crew.

kathy January 21, 2009, 9:31 AM

First, posters get real. This is not a lovefest for Michelle. It is commentary on fashion. Now, the a.m. ensemble was “upholstered inaugural” as the Brits did in fact state. I agree. Ugly furniture fabric in a baby$h*t greenish gold. Evening gown not much better. Bad prom/cheap bridal look. Should have gone with a color also. Pale yellow? Glacial blue? And my child attends Parsons, btw. Michelle would have been better off selecting from Laura Bennett, one of the previous Project Runway contestants, who really knows how to dress women. Laura’s gowns were extraordinary, classy & elegant. Michelle’s choices are hit & miss. Inaugural days outfits definite bummers.

Lisa January 21, 2009, 9:52 AM

Ouch! Some of you are too harsh. Shame on you! No matter what she picked there would be those that loved it and those that would criticize. Let’s imagine how YOU would feel if you had to stand in front of the WHOLE WORLD to be examined. She pulled it off beautifully. IMHO, the daytime outfit was a classic. It looked gorgeous on her. I loved the colour. The gown…I’m not one for one-shouldered dresses and there did seem to be too much fabric in the skirt, too long, but nonetheless she was beautiful and confident. I wish people would keep their negative opinions to themselves…as if you could have done better!

JGP January 21, 2009, 11:31 AM

I second the shredded bed sheet toga critique. An absolutely ghastly gown; ill fitting, prom-like and puffy. Did nothing to compliment her figure. She should wear jewel toned gowns as she is a beautiful woman.

Jenn January 21, 2009, 12:26 PM

I agree with all the incredible designers - what the heck was someone thinking - she looked so uncomfortable and the dress was not elegant at all - let’s use our tax money for some fashion help - oh by the way this is the last time I will be on mom logic - your video of Bye Bye Bush is appalling.
So Bye Bye mom logic.

-Vinessa January 21, 2009, 1:01 PM

The gown is beautiful if were on someone else. This was not flattering for her at all. She had difficulty with the dress while walking and dancing, something that should have been thought out prior to the making of the dress. She looked frumpy in such a beautiful gown.

Courtney January 21, 2009, 1:50 PM

That dress was hideous!!! Absolutely awful. It was unflattering for her figure, the little puffballs looked horrible and she just looked plain old fat. Sorry, Michelle, this one was a miss.

However, I really liked her day look. That was very classic and elegant.

robert January 21, 2009, 2:28 PM

I know we should say nice things, but my first thought was that it looked like unrolled toilet paper with feathers on it.Very surprising choice and dissappointing.

rafael January 21, 2009, 3:26 PM

First of all , her dress and color was not appropriate for this time of year, it look like a toga party dress, a more bright jewel like color would have been better for her. She seen very uncomfortable, her arms where every where and had trouble walking.

Michelle January 21, 2009, 3:27 PM

OMG !!! She looked like a CLOWN in the first dress and RIDICULOUS in her “Me SO Pretty” Bridal grown. Simply put, STYLE ?? WHAT F’ING STYLE ? She looks like a Drag Queen !!

Grebet January 21, 2009, 3:59 PM

Very disapointing. The dress reminded me of my 1980 prom dress. A little too ‘girly’ for a woman of her position.

NOT AMUSED  January 21, 2009, 4:58 PM

I did not think the gown was attractive at all, even my husband said it was ugly. Everyone has their own style and she liked it and that is what counts.

michaleen January 21, 2009, 5:29 PM

The gown was a good color for her, but the wrong dress. Big time wrong =:-O

It looked like a Vera Wang wedding dress Carrie Bradshaw had rejected and promptly put through the shredder LOL

It made her look wide and shapeless. Barack was stepping on it all night, she kept having to (ungracefully) fuss with it. Bleh.

And the lemongrass upholstered couch outfit during the day was even worse - bulky, too short, busy layers. And those hideous teal shoes and pea green gloves! OMG.

As bad as both of these outfits were, the red and black bloodclot/Halloween bargain basement dress she wore on Election night took the cake.

She has no fashion sense, and needs a stylist pronto.

And, sorry to say, she should look for a good finishing school while she’s at it - her posture is abysmal, hunched and slouched, and she walks like a farmer clumping through a field of mud, rocking back and forth sideways with every step (Caroline Kennedy does this too, bleh)

Sorry - just sayin’! lol

michaleen January 21, 2009, 5:33 PM

Oh, and I forgot to add - the lemongrass outfit was NOT a daytime outfit by any standard!

MJ Howard January 22, 2009, 12:43 AM

Sorry but I didn’t think either outfit was appropriate.Morning outfit was too Queen Elizabeth.Far too matronly and not appropriate daytime apparel. Evening gown seemed to be a real hassle for as much movement needed that night. I have a chenille bedspread that my grandmother left me…but I wouldn’t wear it as an evening gown.

Richard January 22, 2009, 8:30 AM

This website borders on hateful. Obama is another “slick Willie” only of a different ethnic background. God help America!!!

Linda C. Johnson January 22, 2009, 9:33 PM

First Lady Obama and her entire family were stunning. They are always stunning. Haters learn to journal your harsh comments.

Hughsey January 23, 2009, 8:01 PM

OK- I’m confused. We’re are asked to comment on the First Lady’s gown, a time-honored tradition as the fashion choices of public figure are always critiqued (a bi-partisan thing, as I see it). However, unfavorable comments on the First Lady’s gown appear to be offensive and unpolitically correct to some. Listen- she’s a beautiful stylish lady but the green suit made her look like the Queen Mum. As for the white gown- all I could think of was a chenille bedspread. There was nothing First Ladyish about it and I can’t believe the woman who wore black and red on Election Night chose that dress- was she afraid to offend the designer? Yes, she looked soft and innocent and vulnerable- fine for a romantic prom date but not for her debut as one of the most powerful women in the free world. I hope she sticks to her own fashion instincts- I refuse to believe these were her choices. As for the black and camel coat ensemble- that was chic! That was Michelle Obama!

JOSIE January 24, 2009, 1:25 PM

Totally unflattering for her figure…would have been darling on a petite woman….She is very lovely though in her own way.

shirley u February 21, 2009, 11:30 PM

some people are so mean and hateful. keep your nasty comments to yourself. Ithought that the FIRST LADY looked great.