Why George Anthony Is on Suicide Watch

His granddaughter is dead, and his daughter is in jail for first-degree murder. Is it any surprise George Anthony might attempt to take his own life?

casey-anthony-george.jpg

To say George Anthony has been under tremendous stress and strain is an understatement. From July 16, when his beloved granddaughter went missing, to December 11th, when her remains where found, the 57-year-old former Ohio sheriff's deputy has had to wrestle with the possibility that his own daughter Casey Anthony was the murderer.

Today, George Anthony is on suicide watch in a Florida hospital.

Dr. Charles Sophy, Medical Director for the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services, says, "George Anthony is a man who is forced to come to grips to face himself."

That won't be easy for the grieving grandfather, who throughout the entire investigation has seemingly lived in a state of constant denial.

"I don't want to believe that I have raised someone, and brought someone in this world, that could do something to another person. I don't want to believe that," Anthony told detectives back in July 2008. He also confessed the smell that emanated from Casey Anthony's abandoned car was familiar to him ... the smell of death: "It's a smell that you never ... get rid of."

But over time, perhaps spearheaded by his wife Cindy, George began to backpedal and remained steadfast in his belief of Casey's innocence. At one point, he even said he believed that his daughter was "110% innocent." Were they covering up the truth or obstructing justice? Only they know the answer to that question ... at least for now.

Today, it seems, the weight of the situation has become too much for him to bear. New documents released on Wednesday served up grisly details -- the heart-shaped sticker placed on Caylee's duct-taped mouth, the Winnie the Pooh blanket buried with the child's remains in a laundry bag. These items presumably could be easily traced back to the Anthony's home, further implicating his daughter in Caylee's murder. Surely adding to Anthony's collective anxiety are the unsubstantiated reports of incestuous relationships within the Anthony's own family and that they plan to profit from Caylee's memorial.

"You don't understand, do you? You just don't understand what this is like," a despondent Anthony reportedly told officers who drove him to Halifax Medical Center this morning for evaluation.

The enormous pressure George Anthony has been under has made him at times prone to violent outbursts, especially when dealing with protesters. Anxiety, according to Dr. Sophy, manifests itself in different ways. "Often it will then spill into depression," he explains.

For George Anthony, who holed himself up in a Daytona Beach motel and penned a six-page suicide note, that depression could have easily ended his life had he not been tracked down first by police via his cell-phone "pings." He reportedly had sent a text message a short time earlier that said he "wanted to make sure Caylee was in God's arms."

How heartbreaking.

The first step in George Anthony's recovery, says Dr. Sophy, is "to keep him safe so he can be on the path to forthright and truthful." That's why he's currently on suicide watch now.

What exactly do you think motivated George Anthony's suicide attempt?

Recently released documents in the Casey Anthony case:

casey anthony forensic report casey anthony witness report casey anthony search warrant casey anthony document
Forensic Report
Witness Report
Search Warrant
Search Warrant

Casey Anthony

Click to see Casey Anthony in Court

See Also:

next: Mom Publicly Admits That She Never Loved Her Daughter
gina January 23, 2009, 7:17 PM

Well they do know how to dial 911. It took them less than 24 hours to report george missing. It took George & Cindy over 31 days to report Caylee missing even though they had long suspected Caylee might not be in the best place or in the best condition.

Gina January 23, 2009, 7:26 PM

Cindy took less than 24 hours to call 911 & report george missing. It took the anthony family over 31 days to report their precious granddaughter Caylee missing even though they suspected she might not be in a good place or in the best of conditions. I think we all know why, to protect their demon seed daughter Casey at Caylee’s expense.
But it is good to know they are capapble of dialing those three easy numbers 911 when an emergency occurs. too bad they weren’t as concerned for their granddaughter & as prompt in reporting Caylee missing.

osufan January 23, 2009, 7:37 PM

I am not surprised by this turn of event and I think that George is the only innocent one left in this family.
Also, I will not be surprised when we find out that Cindy has be involved with Casey once she found out that her crazy daughter took the life of her innocent child. From everything we are learning about Cindy, she has covered for Casey beyond what a mother should have been doing for her child in healthy situations. George has been told to go to work and to stay out of things while Cindy covered up the crazy things Casey got herself into. I am sure he does not know half of what she is capable of doing. I am sure that George could not stand the pressure any longer, knowing that Cindy and possibly Lee are involved with Casey plus the horrible loss of his precious grand daughter. Come on, Cindy made him lie on Larry King about the smell of “DEATH” in the trunk of the Pontiac and blamed it on a pizza box that was empty! If this is true, what a burden to bear, I guess I would contemplate suicide too, or I would tell the truth for my grand daughter and tell all! I can’t imagine what he must be going through. God Bless him. He needs to come clean with what he knows and get away from that crazy family.

007 January 23, 2009, 7:41 PM

Natalia, well said. Thx..

Kristi January 23, 2009, 8:53 PM

Poor George….I feel so bad for him. I have always felt like he knows the truth deep down but as a father and a husband, his duty is to protect his family. He loves them all and especially Caylee. That baby will be his guardian angel now. Please get well George. Do something in Caylee’s honor and bring some positive into this unfortunate situation. We love you & Caylee both.

jan January 23, 2009, 9:09 PM

I think this is all very tragic. I can’t imagine how I would handle the forced reality of a daughter with an antisocial personality disorder, and who has murdered someone I perhaps loved more than her. The Anthony family and family dynamics have been in a fishbowl since July 16. George did have alcohol and sleeping and antihypertensive pills in the motel room. I believe he had drank eight beers and taken sleeping pills…..manipulative, maybe, but he is now on a 72 hour involuntary hold, Bakered in Fl, we call it 5150, danger to self… in my state. After the 72 hours, if still unstable, he could be there another 45 days. And yes, if someone is suicidal they do not let others know of their plans unless they want intervention. But, 5150 is the majority of psych emergency services admits. I have a great curiosity regarding this case. However, I do feel compassion for the grandparents.

hmm January 23, 2009, 10:22 PM

Michelle you have no clue what was going on in GA’s mind geesh……..

Tracey January 23, 2009, 11:19 PM

Hey the guy got drunk and was on a woah is me stint thats all! He needs to clear his conscience!

Yeah Right January 23, 2009, 11:57 PM

Can anybody say “publicity stunt?” This was obviously done so people can sympathize for the Anthony family. Well I still don’t. Please, if he wanted to kill himself why would he text? Then people could locate him. Just as he wanted! They really planned this though. Pills missing, sending texts, a suicide note in which he pleaded Caysey’s innocence, missing photos, etc. Too obvious a stunt like this was going to happen.

marcie January 24, 2009, 1:08 AM

I think that all the lies have come home to roost. He no longer wants to lie, and he no longer wants to turn his head from the truth he knows in his heart. He went along with the “denial program” to keep the peace with his wife. He may have also done some things to cover up his daughter’s tracks and to keep his wife from falling off an emotional precipice. My prediction is that, once the dust clears and the trial is over, George will divorce the toxic Cindy and start a new life. I wish him well. This is not a bad man, just a weak one.

marcie January 24, 2009, 1:15 AM

“Yeah Right”, did George’s suicide note say he believed Casey was innocent? I haven’t read that anywhere; is that true? If so, I think that puts a different twist on things, and I am not sure if I wouldn’t agree with you.

elaine January 24, 2009, 2:25 AM

Why would cindy tell her husband to go find some jewelry for caylee to wear at her funeral? My understanding they found a skull. This request from Cindy finally made George open his eyes and realize Cindy might have problems like Casey and enough is enough.

mary martinez January 24, 2009, 2:30 AM

I do not think this was a publicity stunt (My opinion)…my heart goes out to Mr Anthony. I have a son in prison right now for being involved in a car burglary that culminated in the elderly victim being shot in the face. My son exhibited signs of emotional problems since age 3, when we left his abusive father. I took him to countless hours of counseling, psychiatric hospitals, medications, and later drug treatment (3 times) until he finally went into a foster home because I could not handle him. He was in and out of the juvenile justice system. He is 20 years old now and nearly destroyed me and my marriage. It took me many many hours of counseling until I finally realized I had done everything in my power to help him and it was HIS choices that got him where he is today. Do I still feel guilty? Yes! I agonize every day over what, if anything, I could have done differently. I do know that when he called me, asking me to hide him at my house while police searched for him, I told him to turn himself in and hung up. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I love my son, but I cannot condone his life style or enable it. So I do know where George is coming from. George seems like a decent man who is caught between a rock and a hard place. I hope he gets the help he needs, and the space to get well. I say leave him alone and let him heal. And if I could tell him one thing, it would be to leave his wife until she works through her denial.

Jill from Western Australia January 24, 2009, 6:02 AM

The devastating news released in the 311 pages of documents the day before George went missing would send messages to all of us!

IMO George is clutching at straws…of course he wants one of Casey’s “friends”to be guilty!

IMO it would help George if he and Cindy got together A.S.A.P. to organize the funeral…this would be very helpfull as the whole World wants Caylee’s remains {sans saved portions for further testing}..to be put to rest!

Sarah January 24, 2009, 7:00 AM

To hmmm, you’re right, we don’t exactly know what’s in GA’s mind, but I really applaude Michelle’s accurate description of how “denial,” works. Denial is a very strange defense mechanism or type of self-preservation of fascinating power. My harrowing experience was a hurricane evacuation. It’s wild. You KNOW the truth of what’s happening, but you still battle this strange force that wants to hijack your logic as it tries to talk you out of truth. “This isn’t happening” is the M.O. And for months/years afterward? “That must not have happened” is one way of handling it as your mind erases the terror. So, we don’t know GA’s mind, but I can understand how, for this MAN, a former cop, who’s feeling out of control and has lost hope, that leaving the planet seemed a very good solution. Thanks for letting me share, too.

wpbgirlie January 24, 2009, 9:49 AM

Michelle - I think you have a valid point. I also heard that this will make the death penalty less sought after by the state. may be a calculated move. ——— I do not trust any of the A’s.

Sally January 24, 2009, 10:04 AM

You don’t write a six page suicide note and hole up in a motel if you don’t intend to kill yourself. As a grandparent, I would feel the same way if one of my grandchildren were murdered by my own child. I knew George was the one who would take it the hardest when Caylee was found dead. He was the only Anthony who showed emotion and reminisced about Caylee. I think he truly loved Caylee and doesn’t want to live once she’s gone. George’s voice broke on one of the national TV shows when he was talking about Caylee’s love for their dogs. He was the one who yelled at a reporter to shut up when she mentioned Caylee might be dead. He also sounded like a little boy with the fantasy on Larry King that Caylee was alive and with a family who loved her very much. The next day they found his granddaughter’s body. I hope this is the rock bottom George needs to face reality and stop supporting his daughter and tll the truth and get justice for Caylee. To do that, he has to get counseling and stay away from Cindy, Lee and Casey, who are all in collusion that the “family has to stick together.” George, Cindy and Lee all need to stick up for Caylee, not Casey. Caylee needs justice. Casey needs to pay for what she has done.

jan January 24, 2009, 1:05 PM

Sally-so true, this is about the beautiful baby Caylee-if the general public has been this touched by the little girl-who are we to deny the extended family the right to have loved her? I do not think this was a publicity stunt. This is not about the uncle or grandparents….this is about grandparents who tried to force responsibility and tough love on a cold blooded murderess without a conscience. The poor judgement and choice the grandparents made in June in respect to Caylee has destroyed them…..

Debbie January 24, 2009, 3:05 PM

I have to agree with all those who are
saying this is yet another drama attempt by the Anthonys, had he really wanted to commit suicide, he would have not been on the phone texting.

jan January 24, 2009, 3:21 PM

I still disagree that this is a publicity stunt-I have an extensive work history with many patients who have attempted suicide-at the last minute they do let family or friends know of their intentions. I can guarantee you that every county pysch ward in this country at this moment is full to the brim with involuntary patients who have been deemed a danger to themselves for much less emotional trauma then what the Anthonys are going through. I question the cold blooded vicious attacks towards someone who was obviously in severe emotional distress by a few on this blog-give it a rest, it still is about Caylee and a murder conviction!