Why George Anthony Is on Suicide Watch

His granddaughter is dead, and his daughter is in jail for first-degree murder. Is it any surprise George Anthony might attempt to take his own life?

casey-anthony-george.jpg

To say George Anthony has been under tremendous stress and strain is an understatement. From July 16, when his beloved granddaughter went missing, to December 11th, when her remains where found, the 57-year-old former Ohio sheriff's deputy has had to wrestle with the possibility that his own daughter Casey Anthony was the murderer.

Today, George Anthony is on suicide watch in a Florida hospital.

Dr. Charles Sophy, Medical Director for the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services, says, "George Anthony is a man who is forced to come to grips to face himself."

That won't be easy for the grieving grandfather, who throughout the entire investigation has seemingly lived in a state of constant denial.

"I don't want to believe that I have raised someone, and brought someone in this world, that could do something to another person. I don't want to believe that," Anthony told detectives back in July 2008. He also confessed the smell that emanated from Casey Anthony's abandoned car was familiar to him ... the smell of death: "It's a smell that you never ... get rid of."

But over time, perhaps spearheaded by his wife Cindy, George began to backpedal and remained steadfast in his belief of Casey's innocence. At one point, he even said he believed that his daughter was "110% innocent." Were they covering up the truth or obstructing justice? Only they know the answer to that question ... at least for now.

Today, it seems, the weight of the situation has become too much for him to bear. New documents released on Wednesday served up grisly details -- the heart-shaped sticker placed on Caylee's duct-taped mouth, the Winnie the Pooh blanket buried with the child's remains in a laundry bag. These items presumably could be easily traced back to the Anthony's home, further implicating his daughter in Caylee's murder. Surely adding to Anthony's collective anxiety are the unsubstantiated reports of incestuous relationships within the Anthony's own family and that they plan to profit from Caylee's memorial.

"You don't understand, do you? You just don't understand what this is like," a despondent Anthony reportedly told officers who drove him to Halifax Medical Center this morning for evaluation.

The enormous pressure George Anthony has been under has made him at times prone to violent outbursts, especially when dealing with protesters. Anxiety, according to Dr. Sophy, manifests itself in different ways. "Often it will then spill into depression," he explains.

For George Anthony, who holed himself up in a Daytona Beach motel and penned a six-page suicide note, that depression could have easily ended his life had he not been tracked down first by police via his cell-phone "pings."  He reportedly had sent a text message a short time earlier that said he "wanted to make sure Caylee was in God's arms."

How heartbreaking.

The first step in George Anthony's recovery, says Dr. Sophy, is "to keep him safe so he can be on the path to forthright and truthful." That's why he's currently on suicide watch now.

What exactly do you think motivated George Anthony's suicide attempt?

Recently released documents in the Casey Anthony case:

casey anthony forensic report casey anthony witness report casey anthony search warrant casey anthony document
Forensic Report
Witness Report
Search Warrant
Search Warrant

Casey Anthony

Click to see Casey Anthony in Court

See Also:

next: Mom Publicly Admits That She Never Loved Her Daughter
BlueAppy January 24, 2009, 3:27 PM

Sara Jane, I agree with your comments but I believe the circumstances surrounding this crime and the family having to take a good hard look at what they raised has prompted the crack not the bloggers and media. My God, I can’t imagine what it must feel like to be the parents of a woman like Casey. It has to be devastating to have a child that can’t tell the truth to save her life and who repeatedly steals from her own loved ones with no remorse.

Jancy January 24, 2009, 4:27 PM

It is not bad enough that we all know Casey Anthony killed her baby girl Caylee but now to kill her father in a way of putting so much on him to the point of wanting to take his own life just to take away the pain he endures, i feel bad for George and Cindy both, i would not want to be in there shoes but i pray for them to be able to bury there granddaughter and find the peace they need to move forward with the help of the family and friends as well as the community, no one ever wants to believe they have raised a child to grow up and kill someone especially there own child. Lets all pray for this family. One way or the other Casey Anthony will be punished for her sins. God bless you both George and Cindy keep your head up high, and know they will be a day when you will be with Caylee again but when it is the right time.

sherron teal January 24, 2009, 6:01 PM

I think the Anthony’s need to admit their daughter murdered this child, that is the first step toward recover, the next step is to STOP calling her sweetie this and sweetie that, let her rot in prison for awhile so she has no one to cry to, so she has time to think about what she has done, instead of spoiling this woman more, obviously she is a spoiled self centered brat! The Anthony’s are only responsible for how this girl was raised and the fact that they continue to appease her, stop already and face the facts only then can you begin to heal.

Sally January 24, 2009, 6:51 PM

For those who are blaming Cindy and George for not calling the police during the 31 days Caylee was missing, 1- Caylee was already dead so they couldn’t have saved her life, 2- I doubt if the police would have done anything because the US Supreme Court has ruled that parents have a right to keep their children from their grandparents 3- without the smell of a dead body in Casey’s car trunk and Casey’s admission that Caylee was missing, the police would have advised the Anthonys to hire an attorney and file legal action and try to get custody of Caylee.

Gisele January 25, 2009, 12:04 AM

Poor George and Cindy - the pain they must be in. They have lost a beautiful little granddaughter and now probably their daughter. As if that wasn’t enough, they’ve had to deal with those protesters in front of their house. Is it surprising that they are cracking under the immense pressure? My thoughts and prayers are with Cindy and George - may God help them through this dark and difficult road.

Bev January 25, 2009, 3:21 PM

It breaks my heart to see people saying they raised this monster and yes, infact they did. But you cannot control what your, children do. Even the best raised children can do crazy horrid things. I am quite sure she didn’t show signs that this was going to happen. I understand that they do not want to believe she did this and they are holding out all hope that she didn’t although if not before definately now they know deep down that she did. They not only lost their beautiful grand daughter but their daughter as well. I cannot imagine this pain. Also in hind sight I am sure they feel they may have been able to stop this terrible thing from happening. I cannot believe the absolute badgering of the media on them at their home. I watched on Nancy Grace and cannot believe it is even leagal to do what people have done to them. I pray for Cindy and George to come through this. I hope Casey gets what is coming to her, and that she some how finds God because he is the only one who can save her.

jo January 25, 2009, 5:01 PM

From day one I prayed for caylee and george.My heart breaks for him now.I do not understand how he is feeling inside but do understand depression,I tried killing myself a few yrs ago when my former step kids beat the hell outta me.They lied about me to chruches,friends of theirs,their own fatehr believed tehir tails and still blames me and blammed me as well back then,the stress was to much to handle and i decided i wasn’t worth anything,i’d be bette roff gone.I seeked help though and talked like a bird,george is at teh best palce right now,he needs to let it out and talk,dig down and get to teh root of his pain,once he dose that he can face anything but first comes the hard part,burring caylee{which how could cindy ask him about jewlery teh day before this happened knowing he was depressed?},then teh trial,then I think he needs to leave the circus and go on from their.
I am serious,beinga round cindya nd lee has got to be his worst because we don’t know what geos on in the house however i read ca,la and casey amde fun of him, his self esteem has been down too.

George if you read this ,I am sending you a hugmI’ll keep you in my thoughs and prayers always.jo

L January 26, 2009, 2:51 AM

Such a long suicide note? And such a long wait before actually trying? Smells kinda fishy. I’ve read men are remarkably efficient when they really want to kill themselves. It’s the ladies who are usually the ones who somehow manage more often to survive their attempts.
Nobody can say for sure, but I would err on the side of yet another publicity stunt. The one constant throughout it all, is that this family is one heck of a sick bunch of people. The only chance at a normal life little Caylee would have had would have been adoption.

Natalia January 26, 2009, 2:01 PM

It’s all a matter of statistics L. Women attempt suicide more often and men are more often successful. Reason being - men are more likely to use violent methods (shooting themselves, etc.) that you just can’t help and women lean toward overdosing or slitting wrists. Again, this is all just based on statistics. There are exceptions to the rule, obviously.

Tme January 26, 2009, 4:56 PM

Don’t attack me, but this is my spin: Why would Cindy and new lawyer paint a suicidal picture of George the way they did? he was escaping Cindy’s insanity and going off by himself…he has probably done this before in their marriage as I suspect, and perhaps had his own “comfort measures” to escape before…why else pick that motel, and where else could he go to get away from Cindy? He bought beer and had his BP meds and some personal things. He wasn’t delirious or anything when found according to the cops. his “suicide note” was just writing / journaling his thoughts and feelings away from the prying eyes of Cindy and everyone else..it is actuallu quite a healthy thing to do….To get away from it all and collect himself doesn’t seem sick at all…BUT Cindy reeled him right back in with her “alerts” to the police…what if George ever really wanted to get away from her and her craziness…now they will say he is “suicidal” and lock him in Psych if he ever tries to break free from the Cindy snares again….poor guy

Susie Christiansen January 26, 2009, 6:42 PM

The Angel Baby is Gone! Her Grandparents know the smell of Death! Casey was found, Caylee was not! Put Casey in general population so someone can put duct tape and a heart sticker on her lying mouth as she takes her last breath!
Rest In Peace Caylee Marie Anthony.
My whole family has fallen in Love with You.

CaringMom January 27, 2009, 10:52 AM

I cannot read about this tragedy without the tears forming. hat heartless soul would put someone, especially family members, through this kind of torture.

When I think of that poor baby girl, sweet caylee, I become nauseous, violently ill, and connot bring myself to even think about her final few hours of precious life.

This case makes me want to do something - to protect every single innocent child there is that may be in danger.

I keep going over and over again in my mind - what could have prevented this?

That selfish monster deserves to rot in hell - even that is too good for her.

My heart goes out to George - what grief does is crawls inside and spreads until who you were disappears behind the huge weight of despair.

Caylee, I pray that you are in a safe place and that you may watch over your grandfather and keep him safe.

jodi January 27, 2009, 10:59 PM

Everyone keeps saying that Caylee was so beautiful, georgous, sweet, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah. Maybe she was an obnoxious brat! Geez, look at the rest of her family for crying out loud. She must have been a total pain in the a$$ to deal with. Zanny probably couldn’t even enjoy herself when she took Caylee to Sea World and Disney World. The trip to the beach must have pushed her over the edge and she drowned her in the ocean. My god, Cindi and George were finally able to enjoy peace and quiet at home for a few weeks before they realized that a month had passed. George is just upset that the one he liked more is gone, she wasn’t old enough to steal money yet…

Emory Demech January 28, 2009, 1:12 AM

I have seen of tragedy’s less then this one where the parents got divorced because of blame over the death of a child. It happens more then people know. This family needed counseling a long time ago and they all should have went one by one. Somewhere down the road when this case is over their will be a book written about this family and it’s author will be Doctors. We shall all learn from this.

lis January 28, 2009, 7:09 PM

Maybe the poor man knows there is more to come out?

Gina January 29, 2009, 7:03 AM

George is still lying & covering up. Said Casey is innocent in his suicide note, unbelievable. Scre him & his family whacked out pathological liars.

sunshine January 29, 2009, 12:33 PM

I believe that they new for along time about Caseys sickness and the parents continued to enable her. I believe that they know deep down inside that she did it and to yet keep covering up for her is sick. This is how the grandparent repay their grandaughter!

I truly believe that if (from the beginning)they would have went for an insanity plee, told the truth, had a proper buriel it would have been the right thing to do all the way around. Now, by them trying in every way possible to defend her they are only sending her to the electric chair.

lily January 30, 2009, 7:32 AM

Cindy and George Anthony have been through so much with their daughter. She should have been under psychiatric care a long time ago. now, they are having to suffer what she has done to their family! My heart grieves for Cindy and especially Georgy Anthony!! May the good Lord give them the peace they need to get through all of this. None of us know how we would react in this situation. Please do not sit in judgement of Cindy and George. lily

carmensmith January 31, 2009, 12:37 PM

I am so sorry this family has to endure such pain because of the actions of their own daughter. How does one deal with such a thing? This will be their story forever and they never asked for it to be. I hope one day Casey becomes fully aware of what she has done and suffers for it!

Sonya February 2, 2009, 10:53 PM

This story is so sad, i have a grand daughter the same age and birthday as Caylee, If she died in the house, where were the grandparents? I think they all had something to do with her death, she probally haunting them all and George couldn’t take it and I honestly don’t think he tried to commit sucide. They all tried to cover this up and it’s bothering him I’m waiting on Casey to break. They all should be arrested especially when Cindy took the pants out the car and washed them, that was tampering with evidence. Did they find any medication or liquor in his system if he injested medication to try and kill himself, if u try to kill yourself, why did he text people, he would have wrote a sucide letter and waited for his body to be found. He’s lying again> I pray that Caylee is in God’s hand. Such a pretty child.